Pentax SFXN info reqd

Old June 29th 04, 11:42 PM
A J Rimmer

Default Pentax SFXN info reqd

Hello all

I recently picked up the above. Lovely and clean, no marks

Bought a Sigma 28 - 70 lens to go with it

Thing is the AF doesn't work - not even any LEDs in the viewfinder

Could this be the lens is duff? Would the AF LEDs light even with no lens
attached?

I bought the camera as though I've gone digital I still like to have a
'normal' camera handy

The Pentax feels nice and solid and is comfortably heavy!

My previous 35mm life was with Olympus so I'm at a loss with what to do with
this camera. Is it worth taking to a repair shop or is that going to cost
more than it's worth?

I could always keep the lens - it's immaculate and I could put it on another
Pentax. But I like the design and feel of this SFX so would like to keep it
if viable

All advice gratefully accepted

Cheers

Ian
--
http://homepage.mac.com/ianmoff
iChat/AIM: ianmoff at mac dot com

Old June 30th 04, 01:23 AM
Chris B

"A J Rimmer" wrote in message
Hello all

I recently picked up the above. Lovely and clean, no marks

Bought a Sigma 28 - 70 lens to go with it

Thing is the AF doesn't work - not even any LEDs in the viewfinder

Could this be the lens is duff? Would the AF LEDs light even with no lens
attached?

Have you tried the lens on another AF camera? Have you tried another AF lens
on your SFXN?
Sigma lenses are known to sometimes have compatibility problems, although if
it's KA-mount compatible it should work. I'd try a proper Pentax SMC-KA lens
on the camera. Also, make sure you've got it switched it to AF mode!!
A bit more info about the Sigma lens (model number, etc) would probably
help.

I could always keep the lens - it's immaculate and I could put it on

another
Pentax. But I like the design and feel of this SFX so would like to keep

it
if viable

I have an SF7. Very nice and chunky

Chris.

Old June 30th 04, 06:22 AM
A J Rimmer

On 30/6/04 1:23 am, in article
, "Chris B"
wrote:

Have you tried the lens on another AF camera? Have you tried another AF lens
on your SFXN?

There's the rub - I think I'll have to take it to a dealer

Sigma lenses are known to sometimes have compatibility problems, although if
it's KA-mount compatible it should work.

Sigma 28- 70 UC Zoom 1:2.8-4. No other marks apart from serial number and
scales.

There is an 'A' next to the f22 mark and a lock button. I guess this is to
lock the aperture or set it for auto selecting

I've tried all combinations of switching - nothing, although when switched
to manual the camera works fine

I'd try a proper Pentax SMC-KA lens

Off to eBay then

Cheers

Old June 30th 04, 01:22 PM
Bandicoot

"A J Rimmer" wrote in message
On 30/6/04 1:23 am, in article
, "Chris B"
wrote:

Have you tried the lens on another AF camera? Have you tried another AF

lens
on your SFXN?

There's the rub - I think I'll have to take it to a dealer

Sigma lenses are known to sometimes have compatibility problems,

although if
it's KA-mount compatible it should work.

Sigma 28- 70 UC Zoom 1:2.8-4. No other marks apart from serial number and
scales.

There is an 'A' next to the f22 mark and a lock button. I guess this is to
lock the aperture or set it for auto selecting

I've tried all combinations of switching - nothing, although when switched
to manual the camera works fine

I'd try a proper Pentax SMC-KA lens

Off to eBay then

A KA isn't an AF lens though - if that is what you want to check out, you
will need a (K) F or (K) FA lens.

The little 28-70mm f4 FA AL lens is usually very cheap, and optically
excellent. Or you could get one of the fine Pentax fast 50s - the F and FA
50mm f1.7 lenses aren't too costly, would give you something different from
your Sigma, and are superb lenses.

Peter

Old June 30th 04, 02:31 PM
Stephen H. Westin

A J Rimmer writes:

On 30/6/04 1:23 am, in article
, "Chris B"
wrote:

Have you tried the lens on another AF camera? Have you tried another AF lens
on your SFXN?

There's the rub - I think I'll have to take it to a dealer

Sigma lenses are known to sometimes have compatibility problems, although if
it's KA-mount compatible it should work.

Sigma 28- 70 UC Zoom 1:2.8-4. No other marks apart from serial number and
scales.

Hmm. A trip to Bojidar Dimitrov's invaluable site
(http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/, especially
http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/technology/index.html#general) is in order;
perhaps you can identify the mount visually. In particular, "The other
addition to the KAF mount is auto-focus (AF). The only visible sign of
the AF capability is a shaft coupling which allows a motor contained
inside the camera body to focus a KAF or KAF2 lens."

snip

--
-Stephen H. Westin
Old June 30th 04, 02:33 PM
Chris B

"Bandicoot" wrote in message
"A J Rimmer" wrote in message
On 30/6/04 1:23 am, in article
, "Chris B"
wrote:

[...]

Sorry, my fault. Yes, a KA lens won't autofocus!! Ooops!!! Sorry to the OP -
get an FA lens.

*runs away

Chris.