Masking w/ heat-developed film

Old September 10th 04, 04:43 AM
John McGraw

Default Masking w/ heat-developed film

Hi All
Recently I've noticed a few posts about Masking & Masking w/ Kodalith.
I seem to remember reading about Masking w/ heat-developed film. This
media was very fast to develop, didn't require drying, and seemed like
the way to go. Is it still available? Does anyone use it? Are there
any huge drawbacks to it? Or perhaps, better yet, lacking answers to
the above, could anyone direct me to an on or off line reference? I
spent ~ an hour Googling & didn't find anything
Thanks John
Old September 10th 04, 02:33 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"John McGraw" wrote
I seem to remember reading about Masking w/ heat-developed film.

Look for 3M 'thermal copier' film. I would have thought this stuff
had died 20 years ago, but it seems it's still going.

You will need an intense IR source to get it to work. But you may
be able to pick up an old 3M thermal copier for a few $$.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Remove spaces etc. to reply: n o lindan at net com dot com

Old September 11th 04, 01:02 AM
John McGraw

"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote in message nk.net...
"John McGraw" wrote
I seem to remember reading about Masking w/ heat-developed fil

Look for 3M 'thermal copier' film. I would have thought this stuff
had died 20 years ago, but it seems it's still going.

Thanks, Nicholas for the 411. Why do you say:...."thought this stuff
had died 20 years ago"? What's the problem w/ it, used as masking film? It was probably10 or 20 years ago that I heard about this

You will need an intense IR source to get it to work. But you may
be able to pick up an old 3M thermal copier for a few $$.

Can you elaborate on this a ‘liddle mo'? By "old 3M thermal copier" do
you mean like one of those awful thermal fax machines that stunk & the
copies turn brown?

Is this inferior to Kodalith, or other masking methods, I don't know
about? Do, or have you used any masking methods? If so can you impart
any further insight? My main interest is color transparency contrast
reduction. My thought is if this stuff works {gives fine density
control & quality (no obvious artifacts)}, it would be much better
that having to take the time to wet develop & dry the masking film.

Thanks so much for your time, John
Old September 11th 04, 08:13 AM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"John McGraw" wrote

Is this inferior to Kodalith, or other masking methods, I don't know
about? Do, or have you used any masking methods? If so can you impart
any further insight? My main interest is color transparency contrast
reduction.

Then Kodalith is the wrong stuff: it is made for lithography - either
clear or black. You can try and get a grey out of it, but that's not
what it's made for.

Thermal copier film is the same way: it turns black or it doesn't.

Old September 11th 04, 03:42 PM
Claudio Bonavolta

"John McGraw" wrote in message
m...
Hi All
Recently I've noticed a few posts about Masking & Masking w/ Kodalith.
I seem to remember reading about Masking w/ heat-developed film. This
media was very fast to develop, didn't require drying, and seemed like
the way to go. Is it still available? Does anyone use it? Are there
any huge drawbacks to it? Or perhaps, better yet, lacking answers to
the above, could anyone direct me to an on or off line reference? I
spent ~ an hour Googling & didn't find anything
Thanks John

Hi John,

Can't help you with the heat-developed film but for classic silver masking,
here are a few links:
http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/photo/masking101.htm
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/unsharp/
http://www.radekaphotography.com

Ctein book "Post Exposure" (ISBN 0-240-80299-3, but a new edition seems to
be available) has also a chapter about masking.

And finally an under construction page (in french, but you may translate it
using google language tools):
http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/fr/photo/mask.htm
This one is more aimed at 35mm. Just hope to finish it one day ...

Lith film is sometimes used to preserve the extreme highlights. A first
high-contrast mask is done where only the specular highlights appear
(completely black), this mask isapplied onto the slide and then the final
contrast reducing mask is done.
There are several other masks types, including some for color correction.
Masking can of course be used for B/W but, as we already have several other
tools to modify contrast, it is less used.

Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch