Why Nikon should upgrade the D300

Old October 22nd 12, 03:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

Default Why Nikon should upgrade the D300

"PeterN" wrote in message
: Or are we still talking about Fx lenses and claiming they lose
size and
: weight when added to a Dx body? :-)
:
: compared with the equivalent lens for FX, sure, FX needs 1.6x more
long
: lens, converter or not converter
:
: You can buy a 1.7x converter for your FX lenses - to make them feel
like
: having a dx camera
:
: Or how about create a 1.6 crop "action" in Photoshop?
:
: My FF automatically changes to DX crop when I attach a DX lens. Will
: that do ?

For those who put DX lenses on FF cameras, anything will do. :^)

No worse than putting them on a Dx camera, if they fit.

Sorry.
A Dx lens on either the D800 or D4, will produce a better image than on my
D300.

Right.

Canon mileage may vary. ;-)

You can't fit many EF-S lenses on a Canon FF body at all, not without
risking damage anyway.

Trevor.

Old October 22nd 12, 03:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

"Robert Coe" wrote in message
: Or are we still talking about Fx lenses and claiming they lose
size
: and weight when added to a Dx body? :-)
:
: compared with the equivalent lens for FX, sure, FX needs 1.6x more
long
: lens, converter or not converter
:
: You can buy a 1.7x converter for your FX lenses - to make them feel
like
: having a dx camera
:
: Or how about create a 1.6 crop "action" in Photoshop?
:
: My FF automatically changes to DX crop when I attach a DX lens. Will
that
: do ?
:
:
: Absolutely! You already have the best of both worlds as I have been
saying
: all along. Those who've never owned a FF DSLR just don't seem to get it.
: Or maybe prefer to fool themselves that a Dx body is actually an
advantage
: over Fx, rather than just a cost saving.

DX cameras do cost less, but less weight is an advantage too.

As I said, much of the weight difference is often due to materials and
construction. Comparing apples and oranges is always pointless.

The other night
I covered a panel discussion with my two 7D's, one with a FF 70-200

So no weight saving with that lens then.

and the other with a 17-55 APS-C lens.
Believe me, that was plenty heavy for an old
geezer like me. And more importantly, the increased resolution of, say, a
D800
wouldn't have made a particle of difference for my application.

Of course. Many would be fine with a u4/3 or Nikon V1 too, it's their
choice.

: (but they don't seem to be buying Nikon V1's in droves though :-)

A silly comparison, as the smiley suggests.

Perhaps, but if you *really* want to save weight! :-)

The underlying assumption, that
only clueless snapshooters or self-delusional fools buy DX cameras, is
nonsense.

Never suggested that. I also have APSC bodies myself. There *are* benefits,
but having them always "crop" any FF lens image circle and claiming it
allows you to use shorter/lighter/cheaper tele's is *not* one of them IMO.
Of course if you only ever use cheap/small aperture/light weight kit Dx
zooms as many do, the benefits (and disadvantages) are real enough.

Trevor.

Old October 22nd 12, 03:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 12:15:47 +1000, "Trevor" wrote:
:
: "Robert Coe" wrote in message
: ...
: : Or are we still talking about Fx lenses and claiming they lose
: size
: : and
: : weight when added to a Dx body? :-)
: :
: : compared with the equivalent lens for FX, sure, FX needs 1.6x more
: long
: : lens, converter or not converter
: :
: : You can buy a 1.7x converter for your FX lenses - to make them feel
: like
: : having a dx camera
: :
: : Or how about create a 1.6 crop "action" in Photoshop?
: :
: :
: : Creating a Crop Tool preset at a specific aspect ratio and resolution
: : setting is simpler, and more useful. Particularly when it comes to
: : isolating a specific potion of the image, rather than a generalized
: 1.6
: : crop with little control other than the resize.
: :
: :
: : Yes, I was being faceteous. I'd never want an automatic crop anyway, and
: : those who don't know how to crop, sure wouldn't know how to create an
: : action in PS :-)
:
: I don't know how Photoshop handles cropping, because I've never used it.
: But of those photo editors I have used, some make cropping easy and
: convenient while others make it surprisingly cumbersome. YMMV.
:
:
: It's one of the easiest things you can do in PS, but then I've never found
: any photo software where it's all that difficult.

You want to be able to create a frame with a preset aspect ratio and then use
the mouse to change its size and position. The photo editor I use (DPP) lets
you do that very conveniently; and so, probably, does Photoshop. But some
editors I've tried to use don't.

Bob
Old October 22nd 12, 06:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

"Robert Coe" wrote in message
news
: I don't know how Photoshop handles cropping, because I've never used
it.
: But of those photo editors I have used, some make cropping easy and
: convenient while others make it surprisingly cumbersome. YMMV.
:
:
: It's one of the easiest things you can do in PS, but then I've never
found
: any photo software where it's all that difficult.

You want to be able to create a frame with a preset aspect ratio and then
use
the mouse to change its size and position. The photo editor I use (DPP)
lets
you do that very conveniently; and so, probably, does Photoshop. But some
editors I've tried to use don't.

Right, PS allows you to save predefined ratios and resolutions. It's true
not all software does, but any half serious photo editor I've seen for years
does. It's a pretty standard requirement to crop almost any image before
printing.

Trevor.

Old October 31st 12, 07:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

On 2012-10-20 09:06:50 -0700, Wolfgang Weisselberg
On 2012-10-10 09:47:48 -0700, Wolfgang Weisselberg

A 400mm lens is too short even on crop bodies for much of
wildlife photography.
There are enough shots where a 500mm lens + a 1.4x or 2x converter
on a 1.3x crop camera just fills the frame --- and others where
you still need cropping. 910mm FF, 1,213mm FF --- and you're
talking about measly 450mm FF!

While I would love to have all the extra MPs and/or FF and premium long
glass, the D300S + 70-300mm VR will do (has done) in a pinch for
wildlife photography.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...C_3633B-1w.jpg

Yep, in some circumstances it works, of course.

However, angering the cheetah by showing him Nikon equipment
(just notice how the hair on his nape bristles --- he'd much
prefer Canon!) isn't considered good sportsmanship.

Naah! The reaction was to the compact and phone cameras in the group
seated in the back of the open LandRover. The cheetah was more than
happy to have its image captured by fine Nikon equipment. Canon in the
field is just so passé.

Cheetahs love Canon.
a) it sounds so similar to cannon. Cheetahs surely want to
make their hunting easier and more successful. So while
they'd really love a Riffle camera, they'll go with a
(handheld) Canon.
b) The phone cameras are a Cheetah's new best friends. Phone
camera users need to come oh so very close ... and (except
for clothing and the phone) are tasty.
c) Canon takes their name from Kwanon ... the God of Mercy.
Cheetahs give mercy to their victims, as they sacrifice
them to their stomach.

Now try that with Nikon. All you got for your claims is an
angry Cheetah.

-Wolfgang
Old October 31st 12, 07:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Robert Coe wrote:
On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 18:06:50 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg
: Savageduck wrote:

: While I would love to have all the extra MPs and/or FF and premium
: long glass, the D300S + 70-300mm VR will do (has done) in a pinch
: for wildlife photography.
: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...C_3633B-1w.jpg

: Yep, in some circumstances it works, of course.

: However, angering the cheetah by showing him Nikon equipment
: (just notice how the hair on his nape bristles --- he'd much
: prefer Canon!) isn't considered good sportsmanship.

As a Canonian, he's irritated at seeing the Nikon photographer approach him so
well equipped. He's STILL WAITING for his new 1DX.

He who laughs last ...

And soon enough the Cheetah will counter-photograph the puny
humans in their "human preserves". With a 1DX.

-Wolfgang
Old November 2nd 12, 06:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Douglas Johnson[_2_]

: Savageduck wrote:

: While I would love to have all the extra MPs and/or FF and premium
: long glass, the D300S + 70-300mm VR will do (has done) in a pinch
: for wildlife photography.
: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...C_3633B-1w.jpg

: Yep, in some circumstances it works, of course.

: However, angering the cheetah by showing him Nikon equipment
: (just notice how the hair on his nape bristles --- he'd much
: prefer Canon!) isn't considered good sportsmanship.

As a Canonian, he's irritated at seeing the Nikon photographer approach him so
well equipped. He's STILL WAITING for his new 1DX.

He who laughs last ...

And soon enough the Cheetah will counter-photograph the puny
humans in their "human preserves". With a 1DX.

-Wolfgang

These cheetahs didn't care about Canon or Nikon. They were just enjoying their
breakfast. Caution: It's a little gory.

http://zebras2012.douglasjohnson.org..._jpg_orig.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/bcd24gj

To stay on topic, it was taken with a D300.

-- Doug

Old November 2nd 12, 07:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

: Savageduck wrote:

[...]

Nice capture with the D300!
As noted above my cheetah shot was also taken with a D300.

Savageduck

Old November 3rd 12, 12:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

: Savageduck wrote:

[...]

Opium for the masses and food for the cats, it usually distracts
from Nikon. :-

-Wolfgang
Old November 4th 12, 02:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

On 11/2/2012 1:23 PM, Douglas Johnson wrote:

snip

These cheetahs didn't care about Canon or Nikon. They were just enjoying their
breakfast. Caution: It's a little gory.

http://zebras2012.douglasjohnson.org..._jpg_orig.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/bcd24gj

To stay on topic, it was taken with a D300.

Nice image.
Did you say "here kitty,kitty?"

--
Peter