SP2 Woes

Old August 15th 04, 02:55 AM
PETERWOJ

Since installing XP SP2 update, the camera picture acquisition wizard no
longer functions - it crashes. I have duplicated this error on 3 PCs...

There is pretty long list of software that might not work with SP2 including
Microsft own releases like Excel, Office, MSN and other popular software like
AOL at:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...t=windowsxpsp2. At
least 10 programs on that list I use on regular basis. Unless I decide to test
my masochistic tendencies I think I'm going to wait untill the dust settles
down and some fixes come out from MS and other vendors. Good 3rd party firewall
and possibly non IE based browser should take care of security holes in Win XP
without SP2. I might create dual boot partition and test SP2 on secondary
Windows just to see what I'm missing if it keeps raining and I get totally
bored but otherwise I'll wait.
Old August 16th 04, 06:50 PM
Mike Harvey

"Michael M. Cohen" wrote in
:

Since installing XP SP2 update, the camera picture acquisition wizard no
longer functions - it crashes. I have duplicated this error on 3 PCs...

Has anyone noticed this problem.

Anyone know how to fix this issue?

It seems that Microsoft broke some of their own software with this patch:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=17869
and

Old August 16th 04, 07:22 PM
David J Taylor

Mike Harvey wrote:
[]
It seems that Microsoft broke some of their own software with this
patch: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=17869
and

With respect, I would expect many of those programs to "break" whatever
firewall software was installed. The KB article seems to say little more
than "open the ports these programs need".

Cheers,
David

Old August 16th 04, 08:04 PM
Ken Davey

"David J Taylor"
wrote in message ...
Mike Harvey wrote:
[]
It seems that Microsoft broke some of their own software with this
patch: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=17869
and

With respect, I would expect many of those programs to "break" whatever
firewall software was installed. The KB article seems to say little more
than "open the ports these programs need".

Cheers,
David

Here is a Microsoft site with a list of programs that 'may' be affected.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884130
Regards.
Ken.

Old August 17th 04, 04:13 AM
Paul J Gans

Ken Davey wrote:

"David J Taylor"
wrote in message ...
Mike Harvey wrote:
[]
It seems that Microsoft broke some of their own software with this
patch: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=17869
and

With respect, I would expect many of those programs to "break" whatever
firewall software was installed. The KB article seems to say little more
than "open the ports these programs need".

Cheers,
David

Here is a Microsoft site with a list of programs that 'may' be affected.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884130
Regards.
Ken.

How curious. I expected WordPerfect 11 not to work, but Zone Alarm?
My my. And my viruschecker as well... Then there's Nero 6 Ultra,
my CD and DVD burning software. And InstallShield 8. How do I
know which of my programs installs with that? And Pinnicle Studio?
And the free version of Real Player.

My goodness. What can I do?

Oh, wait. Microsoft has programs that will replace most all of
this don't they...

Ok bad guys out there! I've installed all of the security updates
up to the release of SP2. But I don't think I'm going to
install SP2 -- at least not until somebody supplies me with
updates to those (and a number of other) programs so that
they will work.

I guess I'll just have to hide behind my existing firewalls...

---- Paul J. Gans