Having trouble with indoor light

Old August 22nd 04, 01:31 AM
Ken Scharf

Gene Palmiter wrote:
I am wondering why he is not using the flash. It might be awful...but it
might be great....I have had digitals that knew what to do and one that did
not. You either need more light (use a flash) or a tripod and a subject that
doesn't move (the first you can manage but the second...not at a karate
match!). Program mode might help...but not enough.

Everyone has been nice about it since you are really here seeking
advise....but please don't post images here. It can easily get out of hand
and its against our rules. Generally we put the images on a website (there
are free ones) or in an on-line album and direct us to it with a link.

I wondered about posting photos. Some NG's will simply drop any
binary attachements, or postings containing them. There are some
'binary' news groups that accept large attachements (photos, programs
etc) but postings have a very short life cycle on these NG's.
Maybe there is a binary NG for posting digital photos that we
can re-direct to from this one. (BTW I hear that some of the binary
ng's can get a little 'raunchy' in their postings so be warned!)
Old August 22nd 04, 03:56 AM
Malcolm

"Ken Scharf" wrote in message

Maybe there is a binary NG for posting digital photos that we
can re-direct to from this one.

alt.binaries.photos.original

Lot's of helpful folks there, as well.

--
Malcolm

Old August 22nd 04, 04:02 AM
Malcolm

"Ken Scharf" wrote in message

Having seen the proof that your shutter speed is too slow
please DO try the program mode. I think this will solve
your problem.

I agree with Ken.

A couple weeks ago, I was attending an outdoor ballet after dark. I got some
excellent shots from out in the audience with my camera (HP850 Photosmart).
I was mainly experimenting, but after a while realized I was getting my best
shots by placing the camera in Shutter Priority mode, setting a shutter
speed between 1/45th and 1/60th for darker stage lighting and 1/90th for
when they had the lights turned up more. As you can imagine, ballet dancers
move around as much as your karate kids.

Maybe I have a steady hand or something, because I was shooting many of the
pics at full zoom (8x, or about 280mm as a 35mm equivalent) without a
tripod. I'll maybe post a few somewhere as an example.

--
Malcolm

Old August 22nd 04, 04:07 AM
Jimmy Smith

"Ken Scharf" wrote in message
Jimmy Smith wrote:
your indoor shutter speed is too slow. you are seeing camera shake

Good detective work! You looked at the exif data didn't you!
Why won't that camera open up the lens faster than F5.0 or so?
He was shooting at 1/8 second! (Maybe if he turned on the flash
it would have been better).

Hi Ken,

I actually guessed the answer based upon the appearance of the photos he
posted.

Jimmy

"Danno" wrote in message
.. .

I have a Sony Cybershot DSC-P10 (5.0 mega pixels)

On the camera I have a 'Mode Dial' that allows me to choose between

'Auto
Adjustment Mode' - Which has things like focus, exposure, etc, already
automatically adjusted for me for easy shooting. THIS is the mode I use

take my photos.

The other mode is 'Programmed Mode' which allows you to tinker with all

the

settings, but I haven't graduated to this yet.

So, I'm shooting in the 'Auto' mode and I'm having some real problems.

It seems whenever I am taking photos INDOORS, the photos come out blurry

and

distorted. I'm not using a flash.

To see what I'm talking about, take a look at the photos I've attached.

The first 2 were taken at my son's Karate exhibition. (indoors)

The second two were taken the very next day. SAME camera, SAME settings.
Nothing has been changed on the camera. (outdoors)

The indoor photos, like all of the photos I take indoors, are blurry.

Now, if I take a photo indoors using a flash, the photos rarely come out
blurry.

Does this mean it's a lighting issue?

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong, or how I can fix this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help. I have a trip coming up in a few weeks

and

I'd like to be able to take nice clear photos both inside and out.

Dan