Digital Equiv of the Nikon 105?

Old August 21st 04, 02:43 PM
Harry Krause

Default Digital Equiv of the Nikon 105?

I've got a D70 now, got it with the standard package wide to zoom lens,
but sure miss the 105 f2.5 Nikkor I had when I was taking lots of
portraits many years ago.

Any suggestions for a fixed focal length portrait lens for the D70?

Thanks!

--
Save America - Vote this November!
Old August 21st 04, 03:09 PM
David J Taylor

Harry Krause wrote:
I've got a D70 now, got it with the standard package wide to zoom
lens, but sure miss the 105 f2.5 Nikkor I had when I was taking lots
of portraits many years ago.

Any suggestions for a fixed focal length portrait lens for the D70?

Thanks!

Do they still make the 85mm f/1.8?

David

Old August 21st 04, 06:07 PM
[BnH]

So far I have not found the replacement for 105mm f/ 2.5 AI-S lens.
One of the reason we don't move to consumer level D70 is because of its
in-ability to use this lens.

EXCELLENT lens for portraits.

=bob=

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
I've got a D70 now, got it with the standard package wide to zoom lens,
but sure miss the 105 f2.5 Nikkor I had when I was taking lots of
portraits many years ago.

Any suggestions for a fixed focal length portrait lens for the D70?

Thanks!

---

Old August 21st 04, 09:03 PM
David Dyer-Bennet

"[BnH]" b18[at]ii[dot]net writes:

So far I have not found the replacement for 105mm f/ 2.5 AI-S lens.
One of the reason we don't move to consumer level D70 is because of its
in-ability to use this lens.

EXCELLENT lens for portraits.

I use that exact lens on my Fuji S2. It'll work exactly the same on a
D70. It won't meter, but on a digital in a portrait setup that's
unimportant; establish the initial exposure by experiment, and go from
there. Or use a light meter, for that matter.
Old August 21st 04, 10:02 PM
Jim

"[BnH]" b18[at]ii[dot]net wrote in message
So far I have not found the replacement for 105mm f/ 2.5 AI-S lens.
One of the reason we don't move to consumer level D70 is because of its
in-ability to use this lens.

Of course the D70 can use the 105. The D70 meter won't work, and the
autofocus won't work. However, a trial exposure will check the metering.
As for autofocus, that is one over rated feature.
Jim

Old August 21st 04, 11:23 PM
Michael Benveniste

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 09:43:46 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

I've got a D70 now, got it with the standard package wide to zoom lens,
but sure miss the 105 f2.5 Nikkor I had when I was taking lots of
portraits many years ago.

Any suggestions for a fixed focal length portrait lens for the D70?

I've seen some nice work done on a D100 with the 60mm f/2.8 Micro.
The 85mm f/1.4 and f/1.8 will give you a flatter perspective than
what's currently in vogue for portraits (at least in the U.S.), but
that may be from a provincial U.S. viewpoint. (I've seen a lot
of 35mm portraiture from Europe done with a 135mm lens).

--
Michael Benveniste --

Old August 22nd 04, 05:32 AM
George Preddy

The Sigma 105 EX f2.8 is better built and higher rated than the
Nikkor. It also has more blades, better bokeh, and costs less.