Sanyo HD1 high-def camcorder records to SD flash memory!

Old April 30th 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Sanyo HD1 high-def camcorder records to SD flash memory!

You may have heard by now of the Sanyo VPC-HD1, a revolutionary new
camcorder that records in 720p to SD flash memory (up to 88 minutes in
HD using a 4GB card). It can also record in SD, shoots 5.1MP stills
(it can shoot stills at the same time your shooting video). You then
just plug the card into your computer, or plug the camcorder into your
computer via USB and it is recognized as a drive. Its so easy to copy
clips and pictures off the camcorder. So much easier than dealing with
tape! It can also act as a webcam with certain software. It has a
gorgeous flip-out OLED screen and tons of features. It's tiny too.
Here are some links.
Get it at: http://www.dvnation.com/hd1.html
See pictures and video taken with the cam at
http://www.dvnation.com/hd1pics.html .

Old April 30th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

writes:
You may have heard by now of the Sanyo VPC-HD1,

Looks like a nice device. Perhaps I'll buy a unit from B&H. I
certainly won't buy from a spammer like you. However, thanks for
paying for the bandwidth for me to download the 30MB video samples to
base my decision on.
Old April 30th 06, 08:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

In ,
SleeperMan typed:
In ink.net,
Bob typed:
"Paul Rubin" wrote in message
writes:
You may have heard by now of the Sanyo VPC-HD1,

Looks like a nice device. Perhaps I'll buy a unit from B&H. I
certainly won't buy from a spammer like you. However, thanks for
paying for the bandwidth for me to download the 30MB video samples
to base my decision on.

Ahhh. Great idea. I've been looking for a solid-state camcorder. I
trust B+H, but I'll use his website, too, to download the video.

Thanks for the idea, Paul.

Bob

it's just - - -that "up to 88 mins" bothers me...
like my Canon S2 - commercial says recording "up to one hour on 1G
card"....but that means lowest quality - i fear that this is similar
. that 88 mins would be in lowest quality and thus unusable. I saw
one video (30M, 25 sec of video) and it looked like device hasn't
ANY image stabilizer at all...i'll check out others to proove.

yep...like i said... you can calculate..30 M for 25 secs, 27 M for 22
secs...5.5 M for 3 secs...that comes 1bout 1.22 M per second, which comes
4400 M for 60 minutes. And i still doubt that these samples are recorded in
HD mode...note specs which says HD-SHQ mode 9 Mbps which comes 9 minutes on
4 G card. I bet those are recorded in TV-HQ mode at 640x480...although still
look pretty nice, i must admit. It's just - i'd be damned it that device
has image stabilizer turned on...even my S2 doesn't shake that hard. Oh,
well...

--
Visit my web page at
http://www.protoncek.com

Old April 30th 06, 08:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

In ,
SleeperMan typed:
In ,
SleeperMan typed:
In ink.net,
Bob typed:
"Paul Rubin" wrote in message
writes:
[...]

ops...misscalculation...max time comes about 55 minutes. Ok, but still not
88....
--
Visit my web page at
http://www.protoncek.com

Old April 30th 06, 01:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

SleeperMan wrote:

In ,
SleeperMan typed:
In ,
SleeperMan typed:
In ink.net,
Bob typed:
"Paul Rubin" wrote in message
writes:
[...]

The Sanyo site says 41 minutes on a 2 GB SD card--perhaps the 88 is based on
4GB.

It also says "Advanced MPEG-4 Compression Technology". That's how they get
41 minutes of HD into a 2 GB SD, and that's using a 6 MB/sec mode rather
htan 9. Getting it into a standard format that can be played back on
something other than the camera or a PC is going to involve rerendering in
a different compression format with a generation loss.

I notice that there aren't any customer reviews on B&H, but there are
several on Amazon that point out some shortcomings.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old April 30th 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

In ,
J. Clarke typed:
SleeperMan wrote:

In ,
SleeperMan typed:
In ,
SleeperMan typed:
In ink.net,
Bob typed:
"Paul Rubin" wrote in message
writes:
[...]

hm....still... if they use 6Mb/sec that comes 360 M per minute, or 21 G per
hour... and all those demo videos aren't record that way - they all use only
1.22 M per second. SO, it's still true - it's all missleading - you can
still squeeze only about 9 minutes of HD best quality video.

--
Visit my web page at
http://www.protoncek.com

Old April 30th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"SleeperMan" writes:
hm....still... if they use 6Mb/sec that comes 360 M per minute, or 21 G per
hour...

The 6Mb is megabits, so 0.75 megabytes/sec etc.
Old April 30th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"J. Clarke" writes:
It also says "Advanced MPEG-4 Compression Technology". That's how they get
41 minutes of HD into a 2 GB SD, and that's using a 6 MB/sec mode rather
htan 9. Getting it into a standard format that can be played back on
something other than the camera or a PC is going to involve rerendering in
a different compression format with a generation loss.

Many DVD players can play mpeg-4 files.