Memory cards

Old December 20th 05, 12:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Memory cards

I have been looking at the various brands of memory cards. I was in
Walmart and saw an SD 256 Impact one for $19.95 (Canadian) Is there a
difference? I have just switched to digital in the last year. I have
had Sandisk up until now. I have Canon and now I just purchased the
Kodak p850. They recommend a 512mb. Any thoughts on this. Thanks in
advance!

Old December 20th 05, 02:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

I don't know the one you mention. In general, smaller memory simply
means you can store fewer pictures before you have to pull it out and
replace with empty memory. There is also speed rating for memory, and
for most Point and Shoot usage, slower memory has little impact, but
more speed means that copying the files to PC is faster.

Old December 20th 05, 03:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

I'm not sure about the brand you mention. At that price, it's worth at least
trying out.
I have a Canon Rebel ET and use two 528mb cards and a couple of other
smaller ones.
That way, especially when travelling, if the card gets corrupted or damaged
or the camera gets stolen, you don't lose all your work.
Even at full size and full definition, I get well over 100 shots on a 528
card.
ds

oups.com...

Old December 20th 05, 09:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Manitou wrote:
I have been looking at the various brands of memory cards. I was in
Walmart and saw an SD 256 Impact one for $19.95 (Canadian) Is there a
difference? I have just switched to digital in the last year. I have
had Sandisk up until now. I have Canon and now I just purchased the
Kodak p850. They recommend a 512mb. Any thoughts on this. Thanks in
advance!

You may find little or no difference between the cheaper cards and the
more expensive ones. 'Name brands' are usually more expensive, and a
more expensive card may be faster (important if you use the P850's movie
mode), but only trial and error can tell you for sure.
Old December 20th 05, 10:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On 2005-12-20, Ron Hunter wrote:
You may find little or no difference between the cheaper cards and the
more expensive ones. 'Name brands' are usually more expensive, and a
more expensive card may be faster (important if you use the P850's movie
mode), but only trial and error can tell you for sure.

But if you camera is slow with cards it doesn't matter how fast your card is
you don't get any advantage about faster card

--
Petri Lopia :: lid
Lightning, sun, moon, nature etc. photos
Old December 20th 05, 10:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On 2005-12-20, Ron Hunter wrote:
You may find little or no difference between the cheaper cards and
the more expensive ones. 'Name brands' are usually more expensive,
and a more expensive card may be faster (important if you use the
P850's movie mode), but only trial and error can tell you for sure.

But if you camera is slow with cards it doesn't matter how fast your
card is you don't get any advantage about faster card

Except faster downloading to a suitably equipped PC.

David