Latest Gallery Addition

Old December 18th 03, 09:38 PM
Vindrew

Default Latest Gallery Addition

Latest picture added to my gallery for your kind review.
http://www.pbase.com/image/24248372.jpg

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Please visit my photography gallery:

http://www.pbase.com/vincentvalle

Vincent Valle
Proud Supporter of pbase.com

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Old December 18th 03, 11:57 PM
Mark Herring

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 15:38:49 -0500, "Vindrew"
wrote:

Latest picture added to my gallery for your kind review.
http://www.pbase.com/image/24248372.jpg

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Please visit my photography gallery:

http://www.pbase.com/vincentvalle

Vincent Valle
Proud Supporter of pbase.com

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Nice picture. To me, still lifes like this are a bit of a
cliche---nonetheless, it is very well done
**************************
Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

Old December 18th 03, 11:58 PM
Joe

On 12/18/2003 03:38 PM, Vindrew said:
Latest picture added to my gallery for your kind review.
http://www.pbase.com/image/24248372.jpg

Nice, but the red background seems too much.
The oranges in shadow are almost lost against that
background - something to give more contrast may have helped?

--
Joe
http://www.joekaz.net/

Old December 19th 03, 03:07 AM
Lionel

Kibo informs me that Mark Herring stated that:

wrote:

Latest picture added to my gallery for your kind review.
http://www.pbase.com/image/24248372.jpg

Dunno about 'kind', but I'll give it a shot. Technically, the shot looks
fine to me, but IMO, it has lots of artistic problems:
(1) IMO, the red background clashes horribly with most of the fruit.
(2) The sideboard or table is very distracting. Try putting it on
something bigger, & perhaps use a nice tablecloth.
(3) The lack of variety in the fruit makes for a fairly boring set of
colours. How about adding some bananas & purple grapes, to give it some
some colour?
(4) The tray badly needs polishing. Bright silver & the resulting
reflections would probably add interest to the picture as well.

Old December 19th 03, 05:42 AM
Michael Scarpitti

"Vindrew" wrote in message ...
Latest picture added to my gallery for your kind review.
http://www.pbase.com/image/24248372.jpg

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Please visit my photography gallery:

http://www.pbase.com/vincentvalle

Vincent Valle
Proud Supporter of pbase.com

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Afraid to confront people with your camera? Why so many of people's
backsides? Be brave!
Old December 19th 03, 06:47 PM
This Guy Here

With apologies, I don't like this picture much, for the following
reasons:

o The lighting is a bit bland. I think single light source images
have to be stronger in order to be effective. I would have
preferred an additional light source or reflector to provide
some fill in the shadow areas to the left side of the image.

o The exposure isn't optimal -- the highlights on the fruit are
a bit washed out, and there is no detail in the shadow
areas.

o I'm not sure that the placement of the light source is
optimal either.

o Unlike other viewers, I don't mind the red background,
but it is flat & uninteresting. I would have preferred some
more things going on, like some draped fabric or the
corner of a picture or something.

o The composition is totally random and is not very interesting
to me. I think a more careful arrangement of objects would
have been called for. There's no "story" here, meaning that
I get no sense of space or lifestyle or ambience.

o Your choice of lenses is a bit questionable: the top tier of
the servicing piece is photographed edge on, but the
bottom tier is a bit from above and appears more oval than
the top tier. I would think that if you are going to photograph
that serving dish edge on, I would have used a telephoto
lens from a greater distance.

Still life studies look simple & easy but in reality are very
difficult. It's difficult to arrange your objects in a meaningful
manner. There is no excuse for not having precise lighting &
composition.

I most definitely applaud your interest & willingness to try, and I
encourage you to continue your explorations. Most especially, I
congratulate you on your willingness to obtain feedback from strangers
like me (who may or may not be qualified). Please continue. My
suggestions:

o Take your time in arranging your composition.
o Carefully craft your lighting. Light & shadows are
important in suggesting a third dimension to your
objects, but every shadow should be complimented
with a highlight or an edge.

Carry on.

Old December 19th 03, 09:07 PM

I feel that the image has been over-sharpened (as can be seen around the
very top of the tray) and I'm finding it very difficult to see where it's
actually in focus?
Just my viewpoint, but you did ask for comments!
Richard

Old December 21st 03, 11:42 PM
casey

I wish I could get critiques like this on my nature pictures.

Old December 23rd 03, 01:43 AM
Vindrew

Thanks all for your feedback. I need these constructive, if not blunt,
commentary. I appreciate your time!

Vincent

Old December 23rd 03, 01:46 AM
Vindrew

Casey-
Have you tried posting a picture? I took a chance and as a beginner, I
welcome this wonderful feedback. It is like taking my own private course.
Thanks again everyone! I will be taking this guidance and coming back with
more if you can bare it! ;o)

Vincent Valle