Thoughts on SOOC

Old March 2nd 16, 05:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Thoughts on SOOC

Here are a few thoughts on 'Straight Out of Camera' or SOOC.
http://palleschultz.dk/?p=1096

Savageduck

Old March 2nd 16, 05:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Neil[_9_]

On 3/1/2016 11:42 PM, Savageduck wrote:
Here are a few thoughts on 'Straight Out of Camera' or SOOC.
http://palleschultz.dk/?p=1096

This notion has always puzzled me. Is not capturing the best rendition
of a subject the important part of photography? If so, whether one has
to crop irrelevant content, adjust color and tonality or any other
manipulation to accomplish that end is just part of the overall process,
as is whatever is 'SOOC'.

--
Best regards,

Neil
Old March 2nd 16, 06:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
David Taylor

On 02/03/2016 16:41, Neil wrote:
On 3/1/2016 11:42 PM, Savageduck wrote:
Here are a few thoughts on 'Straight Out of Camera' or SOOC.
http://palleschultz.dk/?p=1096

This notion has always puzzled me. Is not capturing the best rendition
of a subject the important part of photography? If so, whether one has
to crop irrelevant content, adjust color and tonality or any other
manipulation to accomplish that end is just part of the overall process,
as is whatever is 'SOOC'.

I go for minimum processing, so try to get the exposure as correct as
possible straight from the camera. However, sometimes cropping is
needed, and sometimes colour balance adjustments. I have found that
using an iPad as a camera can slow you down, forcing you to think a
little more about the image you are making, but I still prefer my Moto
G3 phone and, of course, my Panasonic GX7 for best results and most
flexibility.

--
Cheers,
David
Old March 2nd 16, 06:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-03-02 16:41:29 +0000, Neil said:

On 3/1/2016 11:42 PM, Savageduck wrote:
Here are a few thoughts on 'Straight Out of Camera' or SOOC.
http://palleschultz.dk/?p=1096

This notion has always puzzled me. Is not capturing the best rendition
of a subject the important part of photography?

This is one of those questions that can only be given a ‘yes/no’
answer. That can only be based on the intent of the photographer. Some
of that intent can be achieved SOOC with specific lens selection and
exposure settings. However, consider how simple today’s AE makes it to
get good exposure values and no character to the image. Technical
perfection does not necessarily make a great or memorable image.

If so, whether one has to crop irrelevant content, adjust color and
tonality or any other manipulation to accomplish that end is just part
of the overall process, as is whatever is 'SOOC'.

Much the creative work can be done in post. These days, with the
exception of good cropping there is also much that can be done SOOC,
but the photographer needs to have a good idea of what they are doing,
magnificent accidents don't count.

Savageduck

Old March 2nd 16, 06:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-03-02 17:10:08 +0000, David Taylor
said:

On 02/03/2016 16:41, Neil wrote:
[...]

An iPad is a bit awkward to use for general photography, but having the
large display can certainly help develop composition skills which can
be adapted for use with a regular camera system.

While some folks produce decent images with phone cameras, for me my
iPhone is only a camera of convenience/last resort, and I will always
prefer to shoot with a DSLR or my current favorite tool, my Fujifilm
X-E2.

One of the interesting features that Fuji has is its set of in-camera
film emulations and in-camera RAW processing tools.

Savageduck

Old March 2nd 16, 07:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

On 3/1/2016 11:42 PM, Savageduck wrote:
Here are a few thoughts on 'Straight Out of Camera' or SOOC.
http://palleschultz.dk/?p=1096

Interesting article.
When I discuss that concept with someone from the f64 school, they
always revert to saying something like: "except for normal darkroom
adjustments." No one, has been able to give me a workable definition of
the term.
e.g. burning in is OK, but cloning makes some purists shudder.

Photographic Society of America, PSA, gives an express approval of the
use of filters. (except, of course, when specific divisional prohibit
such use.)
http://www.psa-photo.org/index.php?about-ethical-practices

If the Duck wants to set up an exposition where no visible noise is
permitted, I am fine with that. In this case, I wonder if the author had
some ax to grind.

--
PeterN
Old March 2nd 16, 07:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

On 3/2/2016 1:14 PM, PeterN wrote:
[...]

I forgot to add:
How many monochrome shots are SOOB.

BTW: As an interesting experiment, for those who have the appropriate
equipment, set you viewfinder for BW, and shoot RAW. You just might get
some neat results.

--
PeterN
Old March 2nd 16, 07:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

On 3/2/2016 12:41 PM, Savageduck wrote:

snip

One of the interesting features that Fuji has is its set of in-camera
film emulations and in-camera RAW processing tools.

I would be tempted to play with them in the field, and wind up missing
the ops.

--
PeterN
Old March 2nd 16, 07:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-03-02 18:14:50 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

I think the only ax the author has to grind is spelt out with what he
has written;
“My point is that, even in analog photography, SOOC is an illusion.
There is so much processing going on from choosing film or film
simulation to developing, that processing your pictures is an integral
part of photography. I just is!”

Basically he is calling out all those who assert that “real
photography” is, or should be all SOOC.

As for your work, I understand that you have embraced digital noise.
That doesn’t mean that the way you embrace it is something that I find
pleasing, in the way that analog grain can be pleasing. I understand
that there are times digital noise is unavoidable, but it can be
minimized. You seem to go out of your way to enhance it.

Savageduck

Old March 2nd 16, 07:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

On 3/2/2016 1:33 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On 2016-03-02 18:14:50 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

Nope. Digital noise just doesn't bother me. With apologies to Proctor &
Gamble, I may be noise blind.

--
PeterN