[PICS] B&W meets the 5D

Old November 1st 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
JimKramer

Default [PICS] B&W meets the 5D

http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/BandW5D.htm

I have to admit I'm underwhelmed, doesn't shoot like the 20D at all.
One more (of many) process to learn. :-(
Jim

Old November 2nd 07, 06:50 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Draco

Default B&W meets the 5D

On Nov 1, 3:46 pm, JimKramer wrote:
http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/BandW5D.htm

I have to admit I'm underwhelmed, doesn't shoot like the 20D at all.
One more (of many) process to learn. :-(
Jim

Still some very nice work Jim. Once you stop learning, they might as
well seal the tomb. So keep learning.

Draco

Old November 2nd 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
JimKramer

On Nov 2, 1:50 pm, Draco wrote:
On Nov 1, 3:46 pm, JimKramer wrote:

http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/BandW5D.htm

I have to admit I'm underwhelmed, doesn't shoot like the 20D at all.
One more (of many) process to learn. :-(
Jim

Still some very nice work Jim. Once you stop learning, they might as
well seal the tomb. So keep learning.

Draco

You are far too kind good sir. :-)

I've always been worried about getting sealed in too early...

Old November 3rd 07, 07:10 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Nov 2, 3:08 pm, JimKramer wrote:
On Nov 2, 1:50 pm, Draco wrote:

On Nov 1, 3:46 pm, JimKramer wrote:

http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/BandW5D.htm

I have to admit I'm underwhelmed, doesn't shoot like the 20D at all.
One more (of many) process to learn. :-(
Jim

Still some very nice work Jim. Once you stop learning, they might as
well seal the tomb. So keep learning.

Draco

You are far too kind good sir. :-)

I've always been worried about getting sealed in too early...

Just keep shooting until the 5D feels as good in your hands as the
20D.
At 3200 ISO I'm amazed at the low noise it produces.
Nice work with light. Very dramatic.
Helen

Old November 3rd 07, 01:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
JimKramer

On Nov 2, 1:50 pm, Draco wrote:

On Nov 1, 3:46 pm, JimKramer wrote:

http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/BandW5D.htm

I have to admit I'm underwhelmed, doesn't shoot like the 20D at all.
One more (of many) process to learn. :-(
Jim

Still some very nice work Jim. Once you stop learning, they might as
well seal the tomb. So keep learning.

Draco

You are far too kind good sir. :-)

I've always been worried about getting sealed in too early...

Just keep shooting until the 5D feels as good in your hands as the
20D.
At 3200 ISO I'm amazed at the low noise it produces.
Nice work with light. Very dramatic.
Helen- Hide quoted text -

At 3200 underexposed by a stop the single toned areas had very obvious
lines running horizontally along the frame (the long ways.) It was
much more obvious than the 20D's high ISO issues. Go back to color and
it blows the 20D away. Thus my question remains why?

All in all it's a great camera for static or single shots; the AI
servo auto focus is horrid for more than one shot. It can't seem to
reacquire the target between frames. :-( It's a landscape camera not
a machine gun.

It already feels better in my hand, it's a bigger body. :-)

Thanks for your comments.
Jim

Old November 3rd 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Nov 2, 1:50 pm, Draco wrote:

[...]

Jim- Hide quoted text -

Even with film, shooting at such a high ISO will result in grain. Why
it's shown more on black and white than color......I'm not sure
myself. Just a thought, but perhaps the grain is more unnoticeable in
color?
I've done a lot of reading on b&w with digital cameras and I
understand that shooting in RAW gives one more opportunities for post-
processing. I found a couple of these websites interesting. One is
converting color to b&w. I'm certain you have already seen them, but
in case you haven't, here they a

http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Color2BW/

http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/How_...te.html?page=2

When I shoot b&w film I always use a yellow filter. Sometimes red.
It was annoying that I'd lose the light ie: shutter speed.

Shooting digital b&w has the option for incamera filters....which is
wonderful.
Helen

Old November 3rd 07, 04:44 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
JimKramer

On Nov 2, 1:50 pm, Draco wrote:

[...]

Because the color is distracting; isn't that why people shoot black
and white? :-) Shooting at high ISO and underexposing shows the
"defects" / "operational parameters" of the Camera. In testing, it's
always important to see what happens at the extremes.

Grain/noise at high ISO's I expect, what I don't like are lines that
go across the frame.

http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/How_...igital_Black_a...

When I shoot b&w film I always use a yellow filter. Sometimes red.
It was annoying that I'd lose the light ie: shutter speed.

Shooting digital b&w has the option for incamera filters....which is
wonderful.
Helen

Shooting is RAW (almost) always lets you do more with the image, but
it won't let you shoot with the in-camera filters. That's a Jpeg only
thing :-(

Sometimes, I just want to take the picture, not worry about it later
in post-processing. Then I clearly understand why so many people
don't want to give up film shooting.

In the link I gave, the pictures were taken with the in-camera yellow
filter.

Jim

Old November 3rd 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Nov 2, 1:50 pm, Draco wrote:

[...]

Jim, I am convinced that a DSLR can match 35mm b&w film using the same
ISO. IMHO, where b&w film is best is in large format. This is where
you will get the best possible black and white results.
Helen