Good camera for first time photographer

Old October 27th 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
debquist

Default Good camera for first time photographer

My daughter, 16 year old, wants to join the photography club and needs
a camera. I am absolutely clueless about which camera to buy. Would
any of your kind people gives me suggestions, please? Does she need
anything besides a camera to start?

deb

Old October 27th 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Howard Lester

"debquist" wrote

My daughter, 16 year old, wants to join the photography club and needs
a camera. I am absolutely clueless about which camera to buy. Would
any of your kind people gives me suggestions, please? Does she need
anything besides a camera to start?

I suspect you're in the wrong newsgroup, as this one is dedicated to "large
format" cameras, meaning the old fashioned kind that uses bellows, may be
made of wood or metal, uses 4x5" or larger film, and you throw a dark cloth
over your head and all that fun stuff. Yes - film. :-)

If the photography club is all about digital photography, then I suppose all
she needs, besides a camera, is a computer and a printer. As for the camera
itself, my first thought is to go to a real camera store - if there is one
where you live - and look at them there, and talk with someone who has some
knowledge of them. There are way too many cameras from which to choose -- it
can make a neurotic out of a normal person. I'm sure someone else here has
some good ideas for you.

Old October 28th 07, 04:58 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Mark

On Oct 27, 4:33 pm, debquist wrote:
My daughter, 16 year old, wants to join the photography club and needs
a camera. I am absolutely clueless about which camera to buy. Would
any of your kind people gives me suggestions, please? Does she need
anything besides a camera to start?

deb

Deb Might be other groups that would help you out, but I am going to
make a few suggestions and give you a few things to think about.
Others may disagree, but I believe the first camera should be totally
manual with NO automated settings. I wouldn't spend a great deal on
one because you will want to upgrade soon and get the help of the
automation. But if the automation is on the first one, your daughter
may miss many of the fundamental that will be important. The
knowledge she gain will last a lifetime. Some will say you can set an
automated camera in manual mode, and its true. Trouble is most won't
and the education is short cut.

As far as format, rather than the larger formats, Id suggest 35mm film
camera. If you learn film its easier to transition to digital and I
don't believe that any photographer can reach their full potential
without the knowledge gained from film.

I started with a Pentax K 1000. Simple, easy to use, but teaches you
things that will be needed regardless of what direction they may take
later. Countless other cameras would do the same thing.

Finally don't be afraid to go used, though I am not sure I would
particularly mention this to a 16 year old. Check out KEH.com and
after looking around give them a call. Not only do they have new, but
many fine used cameras that likely wouldn't even look used are
available without investing a fortune. Tell them what you told the
group and they can steer you in the right direction. Good luck

Mark

Old October 28th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 10/28/2007 8:58 AM Mark spake thus:

On Oct 27, 4:33 pm, debquist wrote:
My daughter, 16 year old, wants to join the photography club and needs
a camera. I am absolutely clueless about which camera to buy. Would
any of your kind people gives me suggestions, please? Does she need
anything besides a camera to start?

[snip]

As far as format, rather than the larger formats, Id suggest 35mm film
camera. If you learn film its easier to transition to digital and I
don't believe that any photographer can reach their full potential
without the knowledge gained from film.

You're assuming the O.P. was interested in film cameras, which they
didn't say.
Old October 29th 07, 12:38 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Ken Hart

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
On 10/28/2007 8:58 AM Mark spake thus:

On Oct 27, 4:33 pm, debquist wrote:
My daughter, 16 year old, wants to join the photography club and needs
a camera. I am absolutely clueless about which camera to buy. Would
any of your kind people gives me suggestions, please? Does she need
anything besides a camera to start?

[snip]

As far as format, rather than the larger formats, Id suggest 35mm film
camera. If you learn film its easier to transition to digital and I
don't believe that any photographer can reach their full potential
without the knowledge gained from film.

You're assuming the O.P. was interested in film cameras, which they didn't
say.

Which is true. Perhaps the photography club has some suggections as to what
type of camera. If the club is geared toward digital (I really hope not!),
than she will have difficulty with a film camera.

Old October 29th 07, 03:49 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Mark

On Oct 28, 3:02 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 10/28/2007 8:58 AM Mark spake thus:

On Oct 27, 4:33 pm, debquist wrote:
My daughter, 16 year old, wants to join the photography club and needs
a camera. I am absolutely clueless about which camera to buy. Would
any of your kind people gives me suggestions, please? Does she need
anything besides a camera to start?

[snip]

As far as format, rather than the larger formats, Id suggest 35mm film
camera. If you learn film its easier to transition to digital and I
don't believe that any photographer can reach their full potential
without the knowledge gained from film.

You're assuming the O.P. was interested in film cameras, which they
didn't say.

True and I have a personal bias that everyone should start with film
first, then make a transition to digital. I do know that the
knowledge of everyone I have ever talked to at KEH would be more than
qualified and willing to help her get her daughter started in the
right direction by being able to talk to her directly what ever
direction she might need.

Old October 29th 07, 02:39 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Nicholas O. Lindan

You're assuming the O.P. was interested in film cameras, which they didn't
say.

The OP's request is for a "Good camera for a first time photographer".

And a good camera for a first time photographer is a film camera. We all
know that... It's also a good camera for a second time photographer.
And third.

And a good starter LF camera is a Speed Graphic: "My camera
can crush your puny digital camera into little-bitsy shards."
Instant cred. at the camera club.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/index.htm

Old October 30th 07, 04:45 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Ken Hart

"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote in message
You're assuming the O.P. was interested in film cameras, which they
didn't say.

The OP's request is for a "Good camera for a first time photographer".

And a good camera for a first time photographer is a film camera. We all
know that... It's also a good camera for a second time photographer.
And third.

And a good starter LF camera is a Speed Graphic: "My camera
can crush your puny digital camera into little-bitsy shards."
Instant cred. at the camera club.

Thank you!

I'm off to the tattoo parlor (after a couple more beers!). I will have the
following inked on my bicep: "My 4x5 view camera can beat the pixels out of
your camera phone, any day, any time!"

My only question Mr Lindan is, Do I owe you royalties, or have I changed
your line sufficiently to avoid copyright infringement?!