Woodworking and the Darkroom

Old April 9th 04, 03:01 PM
Wayne

Default Woodworking and the Darkroom

I'm planning on building a darkroom in our basement, but also use it (the
basement, that is) for woodworking, which creates a ton of dust. How do
people marry these two hobbies? I've thought of wrapping the entire darkroom
in Saran Wrap or some such thing... Any thoughts?

TIA,

Wayne

Old April 9th 04, 03:14 PM
jjs

In article , "Wayne"
wrote:

I'm planning on building a darkroom in our basement, but also use it (the
basement, that is) for woodworking, which creates a ton of dust. How do
people marry these two hobbies? I've thought of wrapping the entire darkroom
in Saran Wrap or some such thing... Any thoughts?

Welcome to my world, Wayne. I have a darkroom and woodworking shop in
the basement. The darkroom is a separate room. No matter what you do - all
the tricks, filtering, humidity control, vacuuming, covering the enlarger
- dust will get onto that favorite negative and tick you off to no end!
Old April 9th 04, 04:59 PM
SofaKing

Take up knitting instead of woodworking. ;^)

Seriously though you might want to consider draping/covering the walls of
your darkroom with (black) plastic. Some claim it the electrostatic
properties of the plastic "suck" the dust onto it. There's a word on it in
Ctein's book "Post Exposure". He swears by it. Caulking the be-jesus out of
every nook and cranny wouldn't hurt either. It's really a dilemma you're
putting yourself in, it's kind of like trying to run a whorehouse out of a
chapel...chances are one is going to do much better than the other...

Old April 9th 04, 05:46 PM
David Nebenzahl

On 4/9/2004 7:01 AM Wayne spake thus:

I'm planning on building a darkroom in our basement, but also use it (the
basement, that is) for woodworking, which creates a ton of dust. How do
people marry these two hobbies? I've thought of wrapping the entire darkroom
in Saran Wrap or some such thing... Any thoughts?

Yes; sorry to be so blunt, but fuhgetaboutit. Don't even try it. And if you
do, please don't come here complaining about dust.

(Unless you can actually create a separate hermetically-sealed room for the
darkroom, complete with entry airlock ...)

--
.... but never have I encountered a guy who could not be bothered
to make his own case on his own show.

- Eric Alterman on his appearance on Dennis Miller's bomb of a show
on CNBC (3/17/04)

Old April 9th 04, 06:15 PM
Peter De Smidt

Wayne wrote:
I'm planning on building a darkroom in our basement, but also use it (the
basement, that is) for woodworking, which creates a ton of dust. How do
people marry these two hobbies? I've thought of wrapping the entire darkroom
in Saran Wrap or some such thing... Any thoughts?

TIA,

Wayne

It's a very bad idea, I'm sorry to say. Even if you use the .5 micron
dust collectors, you won't get all of the dust. It's just not worth it.
Find another space for one of the hobbies. My woodshop is in my
detached garage for this very reason.

-Peter De Smidt
Old April 9th 04, 06:27 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Wayne" wrote
I'm planning on building a darkroom in our basement, but also use it (the
basement, that is) for woodworking, which creates a ton of dust.

You may want to consider moving another room to the basement:
relocating the guest bedroom, sewing room, office ... and moving the darkroom
into the vacated room. I have mine in a bedroom adjoining the upstairs
bathroom. The sink is in the bedroom's clothes closet (8' wide, 2.5' deep) and is
piped directly to the sink/vanity on the other side of the closet wall.

How do people marry these two hobbies?

Some marriages are better not made.

I've thought of wrapping the entire darkroom
in Saran Wrap or some such thing... Any thoughts?

Kinky. Have you perchance seen the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes"?

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio

Old April 9th 04, 06:52 PM
Wayne

"LDR" wrote in message
k.net...
[snip]
under relatively ideal conditions, darkroom fans are useless, IMHO

Oh, I don't know about that... I love darkrooms, and yet my wife seems to
find some uses for me!

Old April 9th 04, 08:41 PM
Gary Beasley

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 10:01:41 -0400, "Wayne"
wrote:

I'm planning on building a darkroom in our basement, but also use it (the
basement, that is) for woodworking, which creates a ton of dust. How do
people marry these two hobbies? I've thought of wrapping the entire darkroom
in Saran Wrap or some such thing... Any thoughts?

TIA,

Wayne

Best I can give you is an agressive positive ventilation system that
draws its air from anywhere but the basement. That way the dust is
downwind of you and will only come in on your clothing and shoes..
Old April 9th 04, 08:45 PM
jjs

In article , David Nebenzahl
wrote:

[...]
(Unless you can actually create a separate hermetically-sealed room for the
darkroom, complete with entry airlock ...)

It gets worse. The clothes you wear for woodworking should never go into
the darkroom. Dust gets in your hair, so leave that outside too. Heh.