Got my Jupiter 21m 200mm f/4 lens

Old January 19th 05, 07:59 PM
Siddhartha Jain

Default Got my Jupiter 21m 200mm f/4 lens

Finally, today the postal service delivered my Jupiter 21m 200mm f4 M42
mount lens that was shipped from Russia on 9th Dec'04!!! Cost me $45
and $15 in shipping from Russia to India for this ~1Kg lens.

Funnily, the customs department sent me a notice regarding the used
Sirius 28mm f/2.8 M42 mount lens I bought off eBay for GBP2.99 and let
the Jupiter thru without any hassles!! The ways of the government are
definitely mysterious

The Jupiter is well built, focus ring is smooth and has a built-in
hood. Turning the aperture ring rattles the innards of the lens a bit
making a clunk sound but for $45 who's complaining

Although I don't have any other lens in the 200mm range to compare it
with but took some test shots with my Canon 300D of Norman Koren's test
charts and the lens seems usable from f/5.6 onwards. Maybe I will post
some comparison shots when I receive my Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DO Macro
II next month.

Looking forward to lugging it to the short three day vacation I am off
to this weekend.

One thing that's niggling me though is that is the Canon 300D mount
strong enough to take this 1kg weight because the lens has no tripod
collar? Can I get one third-party tripod collar for it?
Thanks,

- Siddhartha

Old January 19th 05, 10:36 PM
adm

"Siddhartha Jain" wrote in message
ups.com...
Finally, today the postal service delivered my Jupiter 21m 200mm f4 M42
mount lens that was shipped from Russia on 9th Dec'04!!! Cost me $45
and $15 in shipping from Russia to India for this ~1Kg lens.

They have some cool looking stuff - and cheap as hell too.

Anyone ever used one of these:

http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/r..._1000_lens.htm

I was thinking for some moon pictures......

I wonder if it will work with a D70.

1000mm x 1.5 crop factor....wow.

Old January 20th 05, 04:48 AM
Sheldon

Just remember that when you use slow shutter speed everything is moving (the
Earth and the Moon). If you are really into astronomy you might want to get
a motorized base that they use for telescopes.

Lenses for D70 Digital Photography 3 January 20th 05 05:01 PM
Which Lens for my DRebel mortn Digital Photography 45 December 5th 04 08:21 AM
Digital vs Film - just give in! [email protected] Medium Format Photography Equipment 159 November 15th 04 04:56 PM
White specks on lens. Steve Lee Digital Photography 26 August 8th 04 04:24 PM
The opposite of a close-up lens? Ralf R. Radermacher Medium Format Photography Equipment 44 April 14th 04 03:55 PM