Simple advice for a simple photographer wanna be.

Old January 23rd 05, 04:51 AM
Kim

Default Simple advice for a simple photographer wanna be.

Hi I have an assignment (heh heh).
I need to take a picture of a pile of oranges inside a well lit grocery
store.
I am using a cannon d 30.
What iso speed should I use?
200?
Should I do it with out a flash or with?
Please any simple hints would be much appreciated.

Photo Kindergarten Kim

Old January 23rd 05, 05:15 AM
Eric Schreiber

Kim wrote:

What iso speed should I use? 200?
Should I do it with out a flash or with?

In addition to the good advice items that Dragon gave you, try a
variety of ISO and flash settings. Examine the results and see what you
can learn.

--
Eric Schreiber
www.ericschreiber.com
Old January 23rd 05, 08:51 AM
Christopher Pollard

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 03:51:22 GMT, "Kim" wrote:

Hi I have an assignment (heh heh).
I need to take a picture of a pile of oranges inside a well lit grocery
store.

So, you need only one picture? Take as many as you can fit on the memory card,
using varying settings. With flash, without, wide aperture/short exposure, small
aperture/long exposure.

Then select the best and learn from the rest.

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net
Old January 23rd 05, 08:23 PM
Eatmorepies

You should use a tripod, and change the lighting as necessary, a
reflector could do, but you could also need a strobe kit, hard to say.
The store will have lights that suck, that is almost sure.

Agreed - tripod and bounce the flash. Consider depth of field as well.

John

Old January 24th 05, 01:59 PM
Owamanga

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 03:51:22 GMT, "Kim" wrote:

Hi I have an assignment (heh heh).
I need to take a picture of a pile of oranges inside a well lit grocery
store.
I am using a cannon d 30.
What iso speed should I use?
200?
Should I do it with out a flash or with?
Please any simple hints would be much appreciated.

Photo Kindergarten Kim

Add some mushrooms for color-balance and spot-metering.

Oranges *do* move in supermarkets, so it's always best to wear a
tee-shirt with the slogan "I AM A BOMB DISPOSAL EXPERT, IF YOU SEE ME
RUNNING, TRY TO KEEP UP" written on the back. That aught to keep the
old people and their grubby little snatchy hands away from your orange
heap.

Blind old people can't read your slogan, but remember your tripod has
THREE pointy ends compared to their single white stick, so you are
comparatively well armed.

Replace one orange with an apple. This is now a piece of art.

Stab a straw into one of the oranges. This is now an advert.

Nail a brussels-sprout to each orange. This is now insane.

If you see an orange bearing the image of the Virgin Mary, buy it.
When you get bored of it, you can always sell it to an crazed Catholic
on e-bay for tens of thousands of dollars.

Florida has the best tasters, but for the best lookers, you need
California. Some of the biggest melons are in California too, ..but...
enough about the girls.

If oranges are out of season, wait until halloween and take a photo of
a pile of pumpkins instead. You'll need to stand further away so they
look smaller, like oranges.

Don't be tempted to use an orange filter because the orange from the
oranges, and the orange from the filter add up, and two oranges make a
pear.

--
Owamanga!