Adoration of cameras

Old October 9th 09, 08:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_11_]

Default Adoration of cameras

"Robert Coe" wrote in message
[]
So what do you make of me, a three-time Nikon owner in film days who
bought a
Canon when I went digital because my daughter liked her Canon P&S?

Judas

If you bought without handling both Canon and Nikon DSLRs then you may
have made the wrong choice. The feel and ease-of-use of a camera is
rather important, and somewhat different between Nikon and Canon. You
also may have lost the investment you made in Nikon lenses.

David

Old October 10th 09, 12:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 22:43:40 -0500, "D. Peter Maus"

That's exactly my point. Shoot what you want. It's the output
that matters. If you're producing the images you want to produce,
the hardware is irrelevant.

I totally agree.
Old October 10th 09, 12:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Fri, 09 Oct 2009 07:18:54 GMT, "David J Taylor"
wrote:
: "Robert Coe" wrote in message
: ...
: []
: So what do you make of me, a three-time Nikon owner in film days who
: bought a Canon when I went digital because my daughter liked her
: Canon P&S?
:
: Judas
:
: If you bought without handling both Canon and Nikon DSLRs then you may
: have made the wrong choice. The feel and ease-of-use of a camera is
: rather important, and somewhat different between Nikon and Canon. You
: also may have lost the investment you made in Nikon lenses.

I'm afraid Martha and I blundered into digital photography fairly cluelessly.
Our daughter liked her S-50, so I got one of those for Martha and a G-5 for
myself. Those were OK cameras for their time, and digital SLRs were still
pretty expensive. But after a while the shutter lag nearly drove us nuts,
especially when we tried to photograph our grandchildren. Martha got so
frustrated that she almost went back to her film Nikkormat. So I bought us
each an XTi (400D). At that point my main reason for sticking with Canon was
that the features and controls on their DSLRs were very similar to those on
their P&Ses, so I thought we might have less to re-learn.

All our Nikon lenses were manual primes, so they wouldn't have been useful in
any case.

Bob
Old October 10th 09, 02:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_11_]

"Robert Coe" wrote in message
[]
I'm afraid Martha and I blundered into digital photography fairly
cluelessly.
Our daughter liked her S-50, so I got one of those for Martha and a G-5
for
myself. Those were OK cameras for their time, and digital SLRs were
still
pretty expensive. But after a while the shutter lag nearly drove us
nuts,
especially when we tried to photograph our grandchildren. Martha got so
frustrated that she almost went back to her film Nikkormat.

Can't have that, can we? G

So I bought us
each an XTi (400D). At that point my main reason for sticking with Canon
was
that the features and controls on their DSLRs were very similar to those
on
their P&Ses, so I thought we might have less to re-learn.

All our Nikon lenses were manual primes, so they wouldn't have been
useful in
any case.

Bob

I sold my Nikon film SLR stuff some time back - some zooms but not very
good auto-focus, and nothing like the quality of today's zooms. I had got
fed up with dragging round a fairly heavy camera and multiple lenses. Now
I have the compact and light Nikon DSLR (D5000) and I can take just the
18-200mm zoom if I want a simple outfit.

I can appreciate that having a familiar control set is important, and I
guess I probably had that between the DSLR I bought and the Nikon compact
cameras I had owned (lately the Nikon 8400 with its 24-85mm zoom).

I wouldn't call it clueless at all, but a quite natural progression.

Cheers,
David

Old October 10th 09, 07:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 17:34:16 -0500, "D. Peter Maus"

I agree. I am also sad to say I am not a talented
photographer. I am fairly well skilled, but most of my skill set goes
back to a different context (I worked with 20X24 to 2¼ equipment) I
and just over snapshoot shooter with modern equipment.

In reality, it doesn't matter your level of performance. If
you're getting the results you want, and you're enjoying the
process, you'll improve to the level you wish to pursue.

Exactly! I have been able to keep my skills to a level I am
happy with. I have many interest so photography has to share my
attention with other persuits.