Hasselblad (Carl Zeiss) lens v. Sony-Carl Zeiss lens on Sony a900

Old September 20th 09, 08:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Default Hasselblad (Carl Zeiss) lens v. Sony-Carl Zeiss lens on Sony a900

I took photos of the same subject (tail side of a Brit pound coin) at
the closest focus of the Hasselblad 120 f/4 Makro (mounted on a Sony
a900). Images are at a slight angle to the subject, best focus is on
the lower part of the coin.

Hasselblad (Carl Zeiss) 120 f/4 Makro (f/8, 1/200, ISO 200)
Full size:
http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=9795863&size=lg

100% crop:
http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=9795862&size=lg

Then compared to the Sony Carl Zeiss 135 f/1.8 at the same distance
(f/4.5, 1/200, ISO 200).

Full image:
http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=9795867&size=lg

100% crop:
http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=9795864&size=lg

The contrast seems higher with the Hassy lens, however the exposure is a
little higher with the Sony lens, so hard to tell. (I shot each at
about 2 stops closed from wide open and then adjusted the flash power,
so may not match exp. perfectly).
Old September 21st 09, 01:01 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Alan Browne wrote:
I took photos of the same subject (tail side of a Brit pound coin) at
the closest focus of the Hasselblad 120 f/4 Makro (mounted on a Sony
a900). Images are at a slight angle to the subject, best focus is on
the lower part of the coin.

Hasselblad (Carl Zeiss) 120 f/4 Makro
(f/8, 1/200, ISO 200)
100% crop:
http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=9795862&size=lg

Then compared to the Sony Carl Zeiss 135 f/1.8 at the same distance
(f/4.5, 1/200, ISO 200).
100% crop:
http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=9795864&size=lg

The contrast seems higher with the Hassy lens, however the exposure is a
little higher with the Sony lens, so hard to tell. (I shot each at
about 2 stops closed from wide open and then adjusted the flash power,
so may not match exp. perfectly).

I turned down the exposure in lightroom to match and the contrast looks
fine (brightness/contrast in irfanview does not do the same thing). It
would be nice to see both at f/8. Anyways... zoomed in to 300% with a
bunch of sharpening added in irfanview, the zeiss actually looks
sharper. That's dome deep pixel peeping to even be able to make a call.
The zeiss has a bit more ca but that could be the wider aperture and
overexposure. I was looking in the lower left corner.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old September 21st 09, 02:16 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Paul Furman wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
[...]

They're both "Zeiss"! (Sony-Carl Zeiss (made by Sony) and
(Hasselblad Carl Zeiss (made by CZ)).

OTOH, I can do CA adjustment on raw conversion in CS3.

I'll try to re-shoot tomorrow evening at constant exposure for both,
though I suspect the Sony CZ is sharpest at f/4.5 - f/5.6. I'm not sure
where the sweet spot for the Hassy is, could be around f/11 - got to go
look for a curve, maybe at photodo (though that may be at infinity and
the 120 Makro is not noted for sharpness except in the macro range).
Old September 21st 09, 02:22 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Alan Browne wrote:

I'll try to re-shoot tomorrow evening at constant exposure for both,
though I suspect the Sony CZ is sharpest at f/4.5 - f/5.6. I'm not sure
where the sweet spot for the Hassy is, could be around f/11 - got to go
look for a curve, maybe at photodo (though that may be at infinity and
the 120 Makro is not noted for sharpness except in the macro range).

Hmm. The only curves for the 120 Makro I can find are at f/4 and f/8
(f/8 being a wee bit sharper), but no other curves. (for that matter,
these are at infinity where the lens is known to be a bit soft).

http://www.photodo.com/product_645_p4.html
Old September 21st 09, 03:47 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ray Fischer

Alan Browne wrote:
I took photos of the same subject (tail side of a Brit pound coin) at
the closest focus of the Hasselblad 120 f/4 Makro (mounted on a Sony
a900). Images are at a slight angle to the subject, best focus is on
the lower part of the coin.

Hasselblad (Carl Zeiss) 120 f/4 Makro (f/8, 1/200, ISO 200)
Full size:
http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=9795863&size=lg

100% crop:
http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=9795862&size=lg

Then compared to the Sony Carl Zeiss 135 f/1.8 at the same distance
(f/4.5, 1/200, ISO 200).

Full image:
http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=9795867&size=lg

100% crop:
http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=9795864&size=lg

The contrast seems higher with the Hassy lens,

An objective measure would be to do some processing of the image to
come up with the actual image's contrast. I don't know the math but I
know it can be done.

--
Ray Fischer