Netbooks

Old August 26th 08, 10:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Default Netbooks

Is anybody using netbooks (eeepc or similar) when travelling with
digital cameras? Due to their small size they are ideal for travelling.
You can also connect a USB external drive or a DVD burner for backups.
But how suitable are these machines for image processing? You might
want/need to do some image processing while travelling.
--

Alfred Molon
Old August 26th 08, 10:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
clandestin_écureuil

Alfred Molon wrote:
Is anybody using netbooks (eeepc or similar) when travelling with
digital cameras? Due to their small size they are ideal for travelling.
You can also connect a USB external drive or a DVD burner for backups.
But how suitable are these machines for image processing? You might
want/need to do some image processing while travelling.

I use the Asus EEE 900 with 30GB solid state hard drive. It has a much
longer battery life than the earlier models and the Atom processor is much
faster. It struggles with CS2 when compared to my multi processor Mac, but
is will handle it as long as you are prepared to wait for filters to run
etc., and don't keep to many levels of changes. With the solid state HDD it
is much quicker than a mechanical HDD when spooling to disk - as it must
when working with large raw files. It does handle SilkyPix fine though, for
managing raw files. I use it mostly for tethered shooting, not for any real
post processing. I use it on a mount that attaches to my tripod, a mount
sold through a GPS/SatNav store for mounting vehicular GPS devices.

Secret Squirrel

--

Ingrid Rose

clandestin.ecureuil(insert missing symbol here)gmail.com
Old August 27th 08, 01:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sheila

clandestin_écureuil wrote:
Alfred Molon wrote:
[...]

We use a small laptop.

Sheila
Old August 27th 08, 07:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_6_]

Sheila wrote:
clandestin_écureuil wrote:
Alfred Molon wrote:
[...]

Same here - the "netbook" might be OK for Web browsing, but I want the
ability to store lots of data, quick CPU, work with standard Windows
programs, have a display at least 768 pixels tall which I can see clearly,
and a few USB ports to talk to my GPS etc.

David

Old August 28th 08, 02:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
measekite

David J Taylor wrote:
Sheila wrote:

clandestin_écureuil wrote:

Alfred Molon wrote:

[...]

Have you ever considered a Linux Distro to get away from the Windows
hassles?

Old August 28th 08, 07:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_6_]

measekite wrote:
[]
Have you ever considered a Linux Distro to get away from the Windows
hassles?

Yes, I even have some FreeBSD running here. But, what hassles? All the
photo-processing software I have works reliably on Windows, and there are
no Linux versions. Today's Windows versions (XP and Vista) are stable and
reliable, and they don't come in a dozen incompatible variants. Linux
would gain me nothing, and lose me quite a lot.

David

Old August 28th 08, 11:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

measekite wrote:

Have you ever considered a Linux Distro to get away from the Windows
hassles?

Which will gain you all the Linux hassles?

The only alternative for photography with a full range of software is
apple. Adobe even transfered my CS3 license from Windows to Mac OS X.

And with VMWare Fusion you can run WinXP in parallel if need be
(transition period).

And with apple you have a FreeBSD (*nix) based system. Very nice in
almost all repects.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old September 8th 08, 06:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

Alfred Molon wrote:
Is anybody using netbooks (eeepc or similar) when travelling with
digital cameras? Due to their small size they are ideal for travelling.
You can also connect a USB external drive or a DVD burner for backups.
But how suitable are these machines for image processing? You might
want/need to do some image processing while travelling.

I use a small tablet PC, but not as small as the eePC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TC1100.

It's more like a large UMPC than a small notebook, especially when you
detach the keyboard. It's powerful enough for image processing, though
not terrible fast.

Unfortunately, the newer tablets have moved away from this rather unique
style. On the TC1000 and TC1100 the keyboard is removable to reduce
weight and size, and you can use a virtual keyboard on the screen if you
need one, but you can get by without one. It's very challenging to have
the screen and all the electronics together, especially in terms of
thermal design, so newer tablets tend to be "notebook computers with a
touch screen." There is an integral SD slot, and I use a 32 bit CardBus
adapter to read CF cards.

I spent many weeks in Korea working on the TC1000 project (the TC1100 is
the same unit with different CPU and graphics chips), consuming a lot of
bibimbab and soju, so I have a fondness for this tablet.