Kodak Easyshare Z650 - Outer lens damaged - Can it be salvaged

Old September 6th 08, 12:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
R Kannan

Default Kodak Easyshare Z650 - Outer lens damaged - Can it be salvaged

Hello,

I accidentally dropped my 20 month old Kodak Easyshare camera. The outer
telephoto lens came off along with retainer plastic ring and another
plastic interior ring with a square opening. The lens is damaged. Is there
a way to salvage this camera by replacing the outer lens from another (I
found one on eBay). It looks like the outer ring can be easily removed /
replaced.

Kodak wants $125 for looking at repairing it. This seems to be a decent
camera and I would like to repair it if the cost is less than $50,

Thanks for any help.
Old September 7th 08, 04:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Barr

A typical ebay price for this camera is about $110 or so, so don't get
too carried away with repair. You'll also find non-working units with
electronic problems for about $20 shipped, if you feel like dissecting a
parts camera & trying a do-it-yourself fix.

Old September 7th 08, 02:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
R Kannan

R Kannan wrote:
Hello,

I accidentally dropped my 20 month old Kodak Easyshare camera. The outer
telephoto lens came off along with retainer plastic ring and another
plastic interior ring with a square opening. The lens is damaged. Is
there a way to salvage this camera by replacing the outer lens from
another (I found one on eBay). It looks like the outer ring can be easily
removed / replaced.

Kodak wants $125 for looking at repairing it. This seems to be a decent
camera and I would like to repair it if the cost is less than $50,

Thanks for any help.

Thanks. I found out that the outer lens could be easily replaced. I am going
to try and get one non-working unit from ebay.
Old September 8th 08, 02:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
R Kannan

wrote:

On Sep 6, 7:01Â*am, R Kannan wrote:
Hello,

I accidentally dropped my 20 month old Kodak Easyshare camera. The outer
telephoto lens came off along with retainer plastic ring and another
plastic interior ring with a square opening. The lens is damaged. Is
there a way to salvage this camera by replacing the outer lens from
another (I found one on eBay). It looks like the outer ring can be easily
removed / replaced.

Kodak wants $125 for looking at repairing it. This seems to be a decent
camera and I would like to repair it if the cost is less than $50,

Thanks for any help.

What is the damage to the lens. I am not at all sure from your
description because I am not familiar with that camera.

If the lens has a small chip or two or a couple of scratches, all
you need is to blacken them damaged parts with a fine point black felt
pen. If you are talking about mechanical parts, Sorry I don't have
the slightest idea.

The lens (which seems to be made of two pieces) is chipped about 15-20% of
the surface on one side. Also one of the two rings that hold it in position
fell off and missing. I found a non-working unit on ebay and if there is no
damage to the lens, I will go ahead and buy it.