FZ5 Batteries

Old September 11th 05, 06:07 AM
measekite

Default FZ5 Batteries

Still have not completely decided between the FZ5 and the Canon S2 but
leaning heavily toward the Panasonic. While there is a lot I like about
the S2, the very slow focus when zooming in may be enough to sway me to
the Panasonic. It seems that the FZ5 has fewer features but the ones
that it does have are more significant.

One issue with the FZ5 is batteries. The FZ5 is rated at around 300
shots per charge and I guess one has to count on 150.00. The Canon is
rated at about 500 so one can count on 250. But you have big choice of
NiMh from a variety of sources at cheap (relatively) prices.

The extra batteries (and you need maybe 2 plus the one included with the
camera) are very expensive. I did notice that there are 3rd party
batteries for sale but I am concerned they could damage the camera or do
not provide the same energy as the OEM. Also I am concerned about leakage.

Does anybody out there who has an FZ5 use aftermarket batteries. I
would like to know what your experience is and what brand you have had
experience with.
Old September 11th 05, 07:43 AM
David J Taylor

measekite wrote:
[]
The extra batteries (and you need maybe 2 plus the one included with
the camera) are very expensive. I did notice that there are 3rd party
batteries for sale but I am concerned they could damage the camera or
do not provide the same energy as the OEM. Also I am concerned about
leakage.
Does anybody out there who has an FZ5 use aftermarket batteries. I
would like to know what your experience is and what brand you have had
experience with.

I have bought Hahnel batteries, which are less than half the price of the
Panasonic, and 100% reliable. My wife has used the Hahnel in her FZ20
(same battery type) without problems. These aren't the cheapest brand,
but they are good. I don't know if you can get them in the USA, but there
should be reliable 3rd party equivalents you can buy. Often the OEM
batteries are rated slightly higher in capacity than the manufacturer's
own brand.

During shooting for a full day, I've never needed a third battery (good
job as I only have the two!), but I do carry an Nikon 8400 for the widest
angle pictures so the Panasonic is only used for about 75% of my photos.
I would say a third battery was a little luxury.

Cheers,
David

Old September 11th 05, 10:04 AM
John Bean

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 06:43:33 GMT, "David J Taylor"

wrote:

measekite wrote:
[]
[...]

I agree with David, and I'll add that I have an OEM battery
(from the Battery Barn) that slightly outperforms the
original but cost less than half the price, and one other
battery - a Chinese knock-off of the Panasonic for peanuts
from ebay. It works too, but I keep it only for use a last
resort... I don't trust and can't recommend these dirt-cheap
pirate copies, much better to buy a reputable OEM
replacement like the Hahnel or Battery Barn products.

During shooting for a full day, I've never needed a third battery (good
job as I only have the two!), but I do carry an Nikon 8400 for the widest
angle pictures so the Panasonic is only used for about 75% of my photos.
I would say a third battery was a little luxury.

Ditto, but my wide camera is a Ricoh GX with its *tiny* DW-4
WA converter :-)

--
Regards

John Bean
Old September 12th 05, 03:00 PM
Dan Wojciechowski

"measekite" wrote in message
m...
Does anybody out there who has an FZ5 use aftermarket batteries. I
would like to know what your experience is and what brand you have had
experience with.

I don't have the FZ5, but I do have an FZ20. I'm using a Lenmar battery
that I got from someplace like batteries.com as a spare. I've noticed no
difference in the battery life between the Panasonic original or the Lenmar.
I recently took a 3 week trip to Europe, so I was often taking pictures
12 hours a day. I'm one of those people who likes the LCD screen, so
it was always on. I almost never used the flash. Under those conditions,
I never actually completely drained either battery in the course of any one
day.

My other camera uses 4 AAs, but I still can't decide which I prefer.
The security of finding easy replacements for the AAs is great, but
I also love the convenience of the the "one small brick" FZ20 battery.

So, for me, battery type is a very small consideration when choosing
a camera.

--
Dan (Woj...) [dmaster](no space)[at](no space)[lucent](no space)[dot](no
space)[com]