SD San Disk 256 Mb failure

Old March 30th 05, 02:56 PM
Dan via PhotoKB.com

Default SD San Disk 256 Mb failure

Just lost over 100 pictures this way: with my new Ricoh Caplio R1 (happy
choice) took picture for 4 days of vacation far from home and pc. Never
missed a shot (apparently) until I did what I usually never do (trying to
save energy) which is taking a look of the pictures from the display.
There was only 1 file (about 1.5 Mb with a correct shot) and another one of
0 Mb !
Back home put the SD in a card reader and found the unhappy situation!
Tried to shot without the SD, using the 16Mb memory embedded to the Ricoh
and everything was fine!
I think that maybe 1 writing operation got wrong ( 0 Mb ) and since then
was no possible further writing (but no error warning in the camera).
Is it happened something similar to this to anyone?
Could be the camera interface to the SD ?

Dan

Old March 30th 05, 03:15 PM
B. Peg

"Dan via PhotoKB.com" wrote:
Just lost over 100 pictures this way: with my new Ricoh Caplio R1 (happy
choice) took picture for 4 days of vacation far from home and pc. Never
missed a shot (apparently) until I did what I usually never do (trying to
save energy) which is taking a look of the pictures from the display.
There was only 1 file (about 1.5 Mb with a correct shot) and another one
of
0 Mb !
Back home put the SD in a card reader and found the unhappy situation!
Tried to shot without the SD, using the 16Mb memory embedded to the Ricoh
and everything was fine!
I think that maybe 1 writing operation got wrong ( 0 Mb ) and since then
was no possible further writing (but no error warning in the camera).
Is it happened something similar to this to anyone?
Could be the camera interface to the SD ?

There was a bad batch of SD cards from San Disk. Mine had erratic
read/writes and acted as the little switch was sometimes stuck in locked
position. There was a website that listed the serials somewhere and mine
was one of them. San Disk replaced it without question and even provided a
prepaid mailer. Might call them.

B~

Old March 30th 05, 03:41 PM
Tumbleweed

"Dan via PhotoKB.com" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Have you tried using file recovery software on the SD card?

Try Searching for 'Digital Image Recovery' . Google gives some good looking
hits. There are quite a few apps that will search the card and tell you what
they can recover (showing thumbnails for example) and then give you the
option to buy so at least you havent wasted any money if they dont work. I
have a freeware app somewhere if you cant find a suitable one. If the card
is readible (which at sounds as if yours is) then the chances are good some
data can be recovered.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old March 30th 05, 07:25 PM
Ron

Mine failed similary and it was replaced pretty quickly without
question. Does, as one poster suggests, feel like a bad batch.

Old March 30th 05, 07:39 PM
M. MacDonald

I had a SanDisk 256 meg card in one of their Cruzer USB thumb drives. It
was erratic in taking information and then trying to find it later in
Windows Explorer. Finally, after finding it worked funny in the camera as
well during a format, I ruled out Windows XP computer errors. I called
SanDisk and they had me read the serial number off it. They then sent me a
pre-paid stamp (FedEx) via e-mail and I stuck it on a box and mailed it in a
FedEx drop-off box. Got an new one shortly and all has been well with that
one.

Mack

Old March 30th 05, 11:32 PM
Roy

There is a moral here.

NEVER - NEVER - use a new piece of equipment, of any kind, for a critical
job without having tested it out beforehand, and carry spare Memory Cards
and Batteries.

Things can always go wrong, and are sure to do so at the most unsuitable
moment, but new hardware should be well tested.

It is always advisable to have a quick look at the LCD every so often, just
to make sure you have not done something stupid, like forgettting to take
off Exposure Compensation or whatever.

Everyone has done, and will do, things like that, and having an instant
revue is one of the real benefits of Digital.

Roy G