B&H Discounts or Free Shipping on "large" orders?

Old October 7th 04, 11:54 PM
Office Space

Default B&H Discounts or Free Shipping on "large" orders?

This question pertains to B&H as well as other mail order retailers...

Is there any ability to barter a discount when you are buying a lot of
items? I figure not, since prices are so low to begin with but thought it
was worth asking.

I am planning on dropping money on a 20D, some L lenses, accessories etc
(total around $5-6k USD). Is there any wiggle room to get a better price?

Will I at least get free shipping on an order like this, or is an order of
this size so common that they could care less? (i.e. real professionals
spend way more than that on a regular basis)

TIA

JR

Old October 8th 04, 12:02 AM
Frank ess

Office Space wrote:
This question pertains to B&H as well as other mail order retailers...

Is there any ability to barter a discount when you are buying a lot of
items? I figure not, since prices are so low to begin with but
thought it was worth asking.

I am planning on dropping money on a 20D, some L lenses, accessories
etc (total around $5-6k USD). Is there any wiggle room to get a
better price?

Will I at least get free shipping on an order like this, or is an
order of this size so common that they could care less? (i.e. real
professionals spend way more than that on a regular basis)

TIA

It might help if you show 19 or more items of flair.

--
Frank ess

Old October 8th 04, 01:53 AM
Savidge4

This question pertains to B&H as well as other mail order retailers...

Is there any ability to barter a discount when you are buying a lot of
items? I figure not, since prices are so low to begin with but thought it
was worth asking.

I am planning on dropping money on a 20D, some L lenses, accessories etc
(total around $5-6k USD). Is there any wiggle room to get a better price?

Will I at least get free shipping on an order like this, or is an order of
this size so common that they could care less? (i.e. real professionals
spend way more than that on a regular basis)

here is the trick to getting discounts with the bigger firms.... Get a price
list of the same items from thier direct competitors. Some items may be less
but there may be others that cost more. Negotiate the price difference on the
items that cost more, or simply order from the other place.

I know it sounds real cheap but I do this all the time and I probably save
1000's of dollars every year. Most stores do have a "Compete or Beat Price
Policy"

places such as best buy keep a database in thier customer service registers of
many regularly priced items. The next time you happen to be in there buying HP
ink, ask them to match the Walmart price. in my area Best buy is closer to me
to me (20 minutes closer), and I save $9 and some cents off of Best Buys price.
(thats for both a black and color cartridge).

Hope that helps!
Old October 8th 04, 02:54 AM
HRosita

Hi,

There are quite a few web order places that will ship for free if you spend
over a certain amount. Worth checking out.
One price comparisson place I check out frequently is www.nextag.com.
check out buy.com, PCnation.com, if your are not in Florida, check out
thenerds.com (florida residents pay sales tax).
JR.com of New York is also a good source.
Rosita

Old October 8th 04, 05:34 AM
Ken Tough

Office Space wrote:

This question pertains to B&H as well as other mail order retailers...

Will I at least get free shipping on an order like this, or is an order of
this size so common that they could care less? (i.e. real professionals
spend way more than that on a regular basis)

A friend bought about that much when they were in NY, and he was
staying at the Waldorf. A guy came up personally on a sunday with a
bunch of stuff and he picked & chose. That's gotta be more expensive
than shipping. Sure, ask about a discount, what can it hurt?

--
Ken Tough