Composition choice?

Old August 15th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David L

Default Composition choice?

Need to pick one for framing.

http://www.pbase.com/davidlowry/image/65180140

http://www.pbase.com/davidlowry/image/65180149

Opinion?

Dave L

Old August 15th 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

David L wrote:
Need to pick one for framing.

http://www.pbase.com/davidlowry/image/65180140

http://www.pbase.com/davidlowry/image/65180149

Opinion?

Dave L

INMO this one is the best:
http://www.pbase.com/davidlowry/image/65180140

The foreground is nice and sharp while the background is very pleasing.
Helen

Old August 15th 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Mike

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 19:13:53 -0700, helensilverburg wrote:

David L wrote:
Need to pick one for framing.

http://www.pbase.com/davidlowry/image/65180140

http://www.pbase.com/davidlowry/image/65180149

Opinion?

Dave L

INMO this one is the best:
http://www.pbase.com/davidlowry/image/65180140

The foreground is nice and sharp while the background is very pleasing.
Helen

Half of the frame is out-of-focus. This isn't pleasing to me.

However the other isn't interesting to me either.

I think the top one would have been good if you stopped down so that
everything was in focus.

Just my 2 cents...

Old August 15th 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

David L wrote:
Need to pick one for framing.

http://www.pbase.com/davidlowry/image/65180140

http://www.pbase.com/davidlowry/image/65180149

Opinion?

Buy a cheap frame.

The first one is obviously the better of the two, but it has some
problems as well.

Old August 15th 06, 04:40 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

"David L" wrote in message
ps.com...

Need to pick one for framing.

http://www.pbase.com/davidlowry/image/65180140

http://www.pbase.com/davidlowry/image/65180149

Opinion?

Dave L

I like 1A, the one with the mountains in the background.....The closer to
the fence you get, the more you just have a fence........

Old August 15th 06, 05:58 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
MarkČ

David L wrote:
Need to pick one for framing.

http://www.pbase.com/davidlowry/image/65180140

http://www.pbase.com/davidlowry/image/65180149

Opinion?

Dave L

INMO this one is the best:
http://www.pbase.com/davidlowry/image/65180140

The foreground is nice and sharp while the background is very
pleasing. Helen

Half of the frame is out-of-focus. This isn't pleasing to me.

If half the frame being out of focus is displeasing to you...you must REALLY
hate macro shots...where often 80% of teh frame or more is OOF.

However the other isn't interesting to me either.

I think the top one would have been good if you stopped down so that
everything was in focus.

So you really like flat images?

I think having a view of what the fence blocks access to (the mountaint)
gives it a better feel and more a complete context.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old August 15th 06, 06:52 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
TheDave©

David L wrote:

Need to pick one for framing.

http://www.pbase.com/davidlowry/image/65180140

http://www.pbase.com/davidlowry/image/65180149

Opinion?

I like the first one better. It gives a better sense of "where", if
that makes sense, while still being simple and drawing most of your
attention to the gate.
Old August 15th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

David L wrote:
Need to pick one for framing.

http://www.pbase.com/davidlowry/image/65180140

http://www.pbase.com/davidlowry/image/65180149

Opinion?

The first one.

The second picture, to me, is simply a picture of a fence. The fence
feels too "long", possibly because the left side of the fence is
almost, but not quite, at the side of the frame. The background is
somewhat confusing - it's blue and low on detail, so at first it looks
like sky. It's not sky, but you can't really tell that it's a mountain
either. And having the "horizon" so close to the top of a long frame
emphasizes the fact that the horizon isn't level.

The first one, on the other hand, has context. It's a picture of a
fence in a field by some mountains. The mountains aren't in focus, but
they aren't the focal point of the picture either. It's clearly a
picture of the fence, first and foremost, but the viewer gets more
information about the location, and is more likely to think about the
pictu What is the field is used for? Which mountains are those? Why
put a fence here? It's more interesting. The angled "horizon" isn't a
problem, because it's clear that it's not actually a horizon. In this
composition, the viewer also gets to see the sky, and the clouds add to
the overall somber mood: An old fence in a slightly overgrown field,
against silent mountains, on a cloudy day. The second picture's colours
could lead you to believe that it's sunny, but the lighting is wrong
for that.

(Also, the second picture looks a little oversaturated to me. But the
monitor I'm using right now isn't calibrated, so that's a judgement I
probably shouldn't be making.)

Finally, I find the first picture to be a much less static composition.
The second photo is dominated by horizontal lines - the fence and the
horizon. The first photo balances this in a few ways: the portrait
composition adds a vertical aspect to the picture, the mountains point
up, and the shorter crop of the fence allows the diagonal slat to have
a greater presence.

(I'm also partial to portrait photos - my camera's vertical grip gets
used heavily, and on a typical day shooting I'll take more vertical
photos than horizontal.)

Just my two cents (maybe a little more),
- Darryl

Old August 15th 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David L

Mike wrote:

Half of the frame is out-of-focus. This isn't pleasing to me.

Why does the BG have to be "in focus"

However the other isn't interesting to me either.

I think the top one would have been good if you stopped down so that
everything was in focus.

I like mystery.

Thanks for your comments.

Dave L.