bogen / manfrotto tripods

Old January 17th 04, 06:24 PM
Vadim

Default bogen / manfrotto tripods

I apologies for a stupid questions. I used to have only cheap tripods.
Last week I bought 3001 Pro and I was simply amazed. However, there is
one thing that confuses me. There is nothing that locks the legs and
prevents them from moving toward the center column. How do I make sure
that the legs won't close accidentally? Does it also makes the tripod
legs less stable?
Old January 18th 04, 05:26 AM
zeitgeist

normally the tripod is used while it has the feet on the ground with a bit
of weight on top, so normal friction should keep the legs spread.

Old January 18th 04, 07:13 AM
Lawrence Akutagawa

ok...my $0.25.

Try a simple exercise: Extend the tripod legs evenly and set the tripod up
normally with the legs spread. Take a tape measure and note the vertical
height from a given point on the tripod top to the ground directly beneath.
Now collapse the tripod legs without retracting them. Measure the length
from the same point on the tripod top to the bottom of the legs. (It may be
easier to lay the tripod flat on the ground for this second measurement). I
think that you will find that the second measurement to be longer than the
first.

So the legs cannot under normal circumstances move toward the center column
unless the tripod itself is raised so that those legs have enough clearance
that they can in fact come together....the ground/floor in and of itself is
enough a barrier/obstacle to prevent the legs to come together. You can see
this yourself by trying to collapse together the legs of your set up tripod
and at the same time keeping the tripod top at the same height (no fair
moving the center column down!)...can't be done without that tripod top
moving up - without extending the tripod.

And what yields that tripod top enough extension so that the legs collapse?
Well, you do when you lift the tripod to collapse the legs. As does the
wind when it blows your tripod over (experience speaking here). Or your dog
bumping into the tripod just enough to upset the equilibrium. Or when one
(or more) of the legs is not on a solid footing (snow, loose sand, unsteady
rock, etc.) such that it slowly but surely sinks/moves downward, giving that
tripod top the extension it needs.

btw...a useful hint: If you are using your tripod on a steep hillside, make
sure you have one - and only one - tripod leg pointing downhill. Having two
legs equally pointing downhill can invite unpleasantness.