Lightest Tripod for Pentax 6x7

Old December 2nd 04, 12:47 AM
George Stewart

I've use a Gitzo 1229 with an Acratech ballhead with the 45, 90 and
200mm lenses. I too have used the hand over camera to stabilize the
camera, even with MLU.

I once had my camera serviced, by Pentax, and they indicated that it
needed some balancer-thing replaced, which increased the cost of the
mods. I was having done. Perhaps you should have it CLAd before your
trip. With MLU the shutter is relatively smooth.
Old December 2nd 04, 05:51 AM
Shelley

With MLU the shutter is relatively smooth.

O.K., I'll bite. What does mirror lock-up have to do with the shutter?

m...

Old December 2nd 04, 04:20 PM
jjs

"Ken Smith" wrote in message
om...

He probably just meant to say lower not higher speeds. [...]

Actually I expressed the whole issue poorly. ) In my humble experience
high speeds do contribute to camera shake with the Pentax 6x7. Certainly, it
is not intuitive, and the degree of shake might not be significant enough to
the great majority.

Old December 2nd 04, 05:14 PM
George Stewart

Is this a real question?
Old December 2nd 04, 05:19 PM
jjs

"George Stewart" wrote in message
om...
Is this a real question?

The rhetoric group is over there.

Old December 2nd 04, 05:30 PM
Shelley

Actually I expressed the whole issue poorly. ) In my humble experience
high speeds do contribute to camera shake with the Pentax 6x7. Certainly,

it
is not intuitive, and the degree of shake might not be significant enough

the great majority.

So you think it has shutter problems at high speeds, others say it has
shutter problems at low speeds. Then apparently there are only a couple
speeds at which it doesn't have problems. I guess that's possible but it
does seem strange that Pentax was able to keep the P67 in production for
some thirty five years without significant change given all these shutter
problems it has. Maybe I just got lucky with my camera but I've been using
it for some ten years and made I don't know how many thousands of
photographs without ever encountering the shutter problems.

Old December 3rd 04, 01:38 AM
Ken Smith

"Shelley" wrote in message news:OqHrd.16658$%C6.12747@trnddc02...
Actually I expressed the whole issue poorly. ) In my humble experience
high speeds do contribute to camera shake with the Pentax 6x7. Certainly,

it
is not intuitive, and the degree of shake might not be significant enough

the great majority.

So you think it has shutter problems at high speeds, others say it has
shutter problems at low speeds. Then apparently there are only a couple
speeds at which it doesn't have problems. I guess that's possible but it
does seem strange that Pentax was able to keep the P67 in production for
some thirty five years without significant change given all these shutter
problems it has. Maybe I just got lucky with my camera but I've been using
it for some ten years and made I don't know how many thousands of
photographs without ever encountering the shutter problems.

That is remarkable. The shake at slow speeds is well documented. Users
just have to compensate, and the system is so loved that apparently they
are willing. Mirror Lock-Up is essential, so as not to start a shake going
with the initial slap, then another possible shake with the focal plane
shutter. Either a heavy tripod, a wooden tripod, or a carbon tripod would
be preferable to an lighter aluminum model. The high speed shake is something
I heard of one time, and heard also that hand holding cushioned that to a
minimum. Can't say how long lenses fare on tripods at higher speeds.
My guess is that users of long lenses hunker over them with a snug hold.
This camera is also a huge fashion favorite, but alot of that stuff is done
with strobes, so no problem. If you are getting all the sharpness these lenses
are capable of without all this hassle, the photo gods have certainly smiled
upon you. Myself, I think I'll pack the Rollie instead, and leave the Pentax
for day trips.

Old December 3rd 04, 02:19 AM
jjs

"Shelley" wrote in message
Actually I expressed the whole issue poorly. ) In my humble experience
high speeds do contribute to camera shake with the Pentax 6x7. Certainly,

it
is not intuitive, and the degree of shake might not be significant enough

the great majority.

So you think it has shutter problems at high speeds, others say it has
shutter problems at low speeds.

With MLU and a heavy tripod it's okay down to 1/8th of a second. Without MLU
all bets are off.

Old December 3rd 04, 02:21 AM
jjs

"Ken Smith" wrote in message
om...

[...] Can't say how long lenses fare on tripods at higher speeds.
My guess is that users of long lenses hunker over them with a snug hold.

I simply gave up on the P67 and opted for a system with leaf shutters, and
of course, MLU.