Stolen Gear

Old May 30th 06, 02:09 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Default Stolen Gear

2 wrote:
: "One4All" wrote

: I'm opposed to guns because they can be deadlier to the owner than to the
: aggressor.

: Let the owners worry about that.

It's their problem. People would be far more polite to each other if they had
to consider that the person they were going to be a jerk to might have a 9mm
and was ready to blow their head off.

--

-------------------
Old May 30th 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"Frank Pittel" wrote in message
One4All wrote:

: I assume I'm talking to LF photographers who are shooting, and will
: continue to shoot (no pun), in national parks. What do you do,
: security-wise, to go on a shoot in a national park, beyond the
: precautions I've already stated: Leave car windows rolled up, lock the
: car, & keep objects of value out of sight. When you go out there,
: alone, with few or not any people around, what is your attitude,
: security-wise? Has your attitude changed in the past few years, whether
: being more apprehensive, or less apprehensive? Are you confident in
: park enforcement? Or, am I just paranoiac?

: Like I've said, I'm going to photograph in these parks & probably
: nothing will happen, but I'm going to be alert, anyway.

I grew up in Chicago. All the above precautions are instinctive to me.

I just happen to think that the aforesaid precautions are just plain common
sense wherever you are, whatever you shoot with. Look at it this
way...chances are there are many other cars in the immediate locale of
yours. Why do the thieves decide to break into your vehicle? Is there
something about your vehicle that makes it more enticing than the one over
there? In the broad risk/reward spectrum, what about your unattended - even
for the briefest moment - vehicle makes it worthwhile to risk breaking into
it rather than the vehicle next to it? Or the one next to that one? Or is
it really just plain random chance? Do you really think the thieves are
going "Eenie, minnie, miney, mo..."?

Couple of other precautions in the same vein...while it is a good idea to
hide valuables - even unobstrusively under jackets, coats, sleeping bags,
etc - make sure that things look carelessly tossed about and not obviously
hiding something. And if you decide to place something in your trunk,
don't do it at your destination where everyone can observe and wait until
you walk off. Instead, place it in your trunk before you drive off to your
destination...when you don't care who sees what you do.

Face it...park enforcement is 100% effective as a deterrent only if you park
in front of/next to a ranger and he/she doesn't wander off while you are
absent from your vehicle. If someone really wants to break into your
unattended car, he will. No two ways about that. The best - and just about
only - deterrent is to blend in and not have your vehicle stick out as a
potential/valuable target. The alternative (as I was advised to do when
street parking overnight in Paris many moons ago) is to leave your car
completely - completely - empty with doors and trunks unlocked...including
glove compartment.

Old May 30th 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

In article ,
Frank Pittel wrote:

2 wrote:
: "One4All" wrote

: I'm opposed to guns because they can be deadlier to the owner than to the
: aggressor.

: Let the owners worry about that.

It's their problem. People would be far more polite to each other if they had
to consider that the person they were going to be a jerk to might have a 9mm
and was ready to blow their head off.

Doubtful, When people start carrying weapons regardless of type the
weapon aches to be used Ancient Samurai saying.

Here's a spreadsheet an accountant can appreciate

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicid...weaponstab.htm
--
The sometimes insomniac.

www.gregblankphoto.com
Old May 30th 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"Lawrence Akutagawa" wrote in message
m...

[...] blah blah blah [...]

To put enough cops on the beat, or enough rangers to make a place safe would
mean more $$$ and facism than anyone could stand. Think of it.

Upright individuals bearing arms is no problem in the same light.

Old June 10th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

When we were on the Olympic Peninsula 2 years ago, we watched a young
attractive couple park their car and go off down the hill, probably out
for a jog. A car of 3 young people parked in the area and were hanging
around so we stayed. After a little time, they grabbed a baseball bat
(baseball in the Olympics?) and went off down the trail. We saw a
Ranger and advised as to what we saw. Later, driving back, there was
broken glass in the parking lot and all the cars were gone.

Last year in Maui, there was the occasional car at roadside pulloffs.
One person was usually in the car. The cars were near junk and the
people were dressed unusual compared to the other people on the road
(Road to Hana). Anyway, arriving back to the hotel and reading the
paper, there was an article on car break ins while tourists were
walking some distance from their car.

Be careful out there!

Old June 20th 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

One4All wrote:
the aggressor. I have air-conditioning in my car, so I can leave my
windows rolled up & I never leave anything of possible value easily
visible in my car, even in local parking lots. I have little sympathy
for people who don't lock their cars and leave handbags, etc., in plain
sight overnight.

When I was at Yosemite years ago I never took chances. My cameras were
ALWAYS in the trunk of the car. It was never in the back seat or
anywhere in the open. It was a real pain in the rear not being to just
grab and shoot, but I felt much better knowing that nobody was about to
take my gear by just turning my back. A lot of times we'd get out of
the car, sometimes leaving it unlocked when nobody was around, survey
the landscape and then I'd go back to my car to grab the camera
equipment.

Old June 20th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"nathantw" wrote
One4All wrote:
I never leave anything of possible value easily
visible in my car

When I was at Yosemite years ago I never took chances

When I was in Montana in the mid 60's you could leave your wallet
and keys on top of the car and go for a 3 day hike. All that
might happen is the wallet and keys would be put
inside the car if it started to rain.

It was a nice feeling.