"Film is gone" - Kodak

Old January 16th 06, 09:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Default "Film is gone" - Kodak

Philip Homburg wrote:
In article ,
Gordon Moat wrote:

Philip Homburg wrote:

I'd like to see how Kodak is going to compete with the camera-phones.
. . . . . .

Kodak recently signed a product development deal with Motorola. I think
Motorola are capable of making some interesting and popular phones.

In that case, the question becomes how Kodak is going to make money.
Is the profit margin on phones that high that Motorola can affort to
give Kodak a significant part of the profits.

Maybe in a few months some analysts will have a better picture of how
this new agreement will function. My guess is Motorola buying Kodak CCD
and CMOS sensors for camera phones. The other way around might be
wireless capability in Kodak cameras, or perhaps some other computing
advantage. I am not yet convinced this will bring anything of great
interest, though there might be some products they could bring to market
that prove very popular.

I don't know if a branding arrangement, Kodak name on Motorola phones,
or Motorola name on Kodak cameras, might be anything of an advantage.
Just on the profitability level, mobile phones are very high profit
margin items. While the cost to the consumer might be low, that is more
a function of service providers breaking even, or taking a loss, on
phones just to keep the customer making calls and ringing up monthly
charges.

Only Kodak and Dalsa are making large imaging chips for photography.
Fuji do still make a large chip for their 6x8 camera, but I don't know
of anywhere outside of Japan where this is sold. Kodak supplies chips
for PhaseOne and Imacon. Kodak also owns Leaf now, after their purchase
of Creo. Leaf uses Dalsa chips in their medium format backs.

So, if Kodak is serieus about the future of digital cameras, this should
leave the MF sensor market to Dalsa :-)

Wish I had more insight on the chip division at Kodak. It does seem
weird that they would include Leaf in the Creo purchase. Many thought
that Leaf would be sold off, which might still happen. Regardless of how
that proceeds, Kodak do currently make a profit from making imaging
chips, even the large CCDs.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com

Old January 16th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

In message , Etaoin Shurdlu
writes
"Film is gone, and single-purpose cameras are on their way out, too."

Kodak CEO Antonio M. Perez

A bit late.
I used to have a 6x6 folder that doubled as a small step ladder on a
particularly long reach on a much-loved rock climb.
Or is that not what they meant by cameras with more than one purpose?

(A Kodak 620, as I remember)
--
Paul Friday
Old January 16th 06, 10:44 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

In message . com, Noons
writes
Adobe might just do it, for example. They could easily bundle a
version of Photoshop minus all the graphic arts mumbo-jumbo, with
optimised software/hardware, for a price that no one else could match
for the quality. Dell or another OEM could provide the hw and system
sw. It might just happen...

We're talking camera-phones. So Adobe offer a fix-online service: set
your phone to upload to us by default. We optimise/sharpen/fix your pic
and post it back to your private area on our web site or to your MySpace
storage.
Like Kodak once may have said - "you press the shutter, we do the rest".
--
Paul Friday
Old January 16th 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

In message coh.net,
Philip Homburg writes
In that case, the question becomes how Kodak is going to make money. Is
the profit margin on phones that high that Motorola can affort to give
Kodak a significant part of the profits.

No profit in phones. Much money lies in services. "Buy a Motorola phone,
get Kodak pictures. Sign here" ... and pay as you go.
The photo album of the future will be a URL you send to your friends
(and they pay to see).
--
Paul Friday
Old January 16th 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

I'd like to see how Kodak is going to compete with the camera-phones.

GSMs have the fundamental property you need to keep access to your photos
wherever you a network connectivity.

It is just up to the telcos and phone manufacturer to make sure that
1) saving a photo over a GSM data link is the default. In other words,
prices of data transfer have to low enough to make sure that people
will not bother transferring images first to PCs, etc.
2) some kind of SMS enhancement that makes it possible to forward references
to stored images transparently to other people.

Cellular networks don't have the bandwidth to support this. Not even
next-generation 3G networks.

There is only so much spectrum available and you can't get around
Shannon's Information Theory.

Old January 17th 06, 12:18 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Paul Friday wrote:
The photo album of the future will be a URL you send to your friends
(and they pay to see).

or in my case: "publicity pays for them to see".

Old January 17th 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

In article .com,
"Matt Clara" wrote:

Seems to be Mr. Shurdlu's trademark.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Lots more could be said on that, not much to gain.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

greg_____photo(dot)com
Old January 17th 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Motorola has some screen technology that makes everything in use currently
look like garbage.

http://www.physorg.com/news4031.html

Imagine a picture tube picture that does not require the tube.... just the
front panel.

"Gordon Moat" wrote in message
Etaoin Shurdlu wrote:
"rafe b" rafebATspeakeasy.net wrote in message

Jeez, you're just having a ball stirring up the flames,
eh, John? At least you could have brought some
marshmallows.

Marshmallows? Gosh, you are easily pleased. I was going to bring steaks.

I think we could have some fun with the "multipurpose camera" concept he
mentioned. Swiss-Army knife of cameras?

Kodak signed a big product development deal with Motorola recently.
Perhaps you could imagine what some future products might look like, and
how they might function.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com

Old January 17th 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

"Matt Clara" wrote in message
oups.com...

Seems to be Mr. Shurdlu's trademark.

The quote is in the NYT article.