Predictions - longevity of MF film

Old November 15th 05, 07:25 PM
Scott W

Default Predictions - longevity of MF film

Lorem Ipsum wrote:
"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...

For me it is just not worth it.
I can get whatever resilution I want now, and it won't be long before I
can buy a digital camera that matches MF.

Yawn!

But it has a pratical effect, I think you will find just about all the
pros over here have pretty much given up on 120 and 220 film. I would
also guess that in our area they were the ones who shot most of it, so
with them leaving it the drop in its use here is very large.

How easy it is to get and process the film will have a huge impact on
how much gets used. And how much gets used will have a huge impact on
how hard it is to find,and so it goes.

This weekend I was talking to a friend who wanted to know what digital
camera to buy. She is giving up on film because the pro lab closed
here. If she needs slides she will have them made from digital files,
not the other way around.

Scott

Old November 15th 05, 07:28 PM
Matt Clara

"David J. Littleboy" wrote in message

"Chris Brown" wrote:
David J. Littleboy wrote:
"Chris Brown" wrote:
David J. Littleboy wrote:

For the nonce, though, 6x7 is better than digital can dream of, even
scanned
with an Epson 4990.

Surely nonces[1] would prefer digital? Less chance of the processor
reporting them to the police.

[1] http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nonce

That's not what it means on my side of the pond...

Another one of these "separated by a common language" things, it seems,
but
one that's got more potential for embarassment than most. ;-)

What's amusing is that a lot of those are the US retaining older meanings,
but you guys coming up with new uses that we don't adopt.

Good ol' wikipedia...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonce

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old November 15th 05, 08:43 PM
no_name

David J. Littleboy wrote:

"Chris Brown" wrote:

David J. Littleboy wrote:

"Chris Brown" wrote:

David J. Littleboy wrote:

For the nonce, though, 6x7 is better than digital can dream of, even
scanned
with an Epson 4990.

Surely nonces[1] would prefer digital? Less chance of the processor
reporting them to the police.

[1] http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nonce

That's not what it means on my side of the pond...

Another one of these "separated by a common language" things, it seems,
but
one that's got more potential for embarassment than most. ;-)

What's amusing is that a lot of those are the US retaining older meanings,
but you guys coming up with new uses that we don't adopt.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

OED has the same first definition as Websters:

OED = for the nonce for the present; temporarily.
Websters = the one, particular, or present occasion, purpose, or use
for the nonce

The OED does list the slang as a second definition.
Old November 15th 05, 09:46 PM
Lorem Ipsum

"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...
Lorem Ipsum wrote:
"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...

For me it is just not worth it.
I can get whatever resilution I want now, and it won't be long before I
can buy a digital camera that matches MF.

Yawn!

But it has a pratical effect, I think you will find just about all the
pros over here have pretty much given up on 120 and 220 film. I would
also guess that in our area they were the ones who shot most of it, so
with them leaving it the drop in its use here is very large.

I understand. Film is for the fanatic. I feel that digital has liberated us
from the 'professionals'; whores that they are.

Old November 15th 05, 09:48 PM
Lorem Ipsum

. ..

Aw, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/**** the UK slangers!

Old November 16th 05, 12:29 AM
Chris Brown

In article ,
Lorem Ipsum wrote:

"Matt Clara" wrote in message

Good ol' wikipedia...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonce

Aw, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/**** the UK slangers!

Spaces aren't legal in URLs...
Old November 16th 05, 02:35 AM
rafe b

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 14:46:05 -0600, "Lorem Ipsum"
wrote:

I understand. Film is for the fanatic. I feel that digital has liberated us
from the 'professionals'; whores that they are.

Pretty much agree, with the first sentence.

The only point using MF or LF over a good
dSLR is when I'm in a "fine art" kinda mood.

Ie., a day or an outing dedicated to photography,
above all else. Which some might think a bit
fanatical.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com
Old November 16th 05, 01:21 PM
rafe b

On 15 Nov 2005 18:31:17 -0800, "Noons" wrote:

wrote:

Yes, MF is completely dead and they'll probably stop making the film in a
few weeks. That's why it's essential that all owners of MF gear start
dumping their equipment ASAP - otherwise they'll get nothing for all this
old junk. The problem I find is that this topical information is only
reaching the purveyors of internet groups like this one. That's why it's
essential that you spread the word to all those you know that are still
sitting on old obsolete MF gear. It is imperative that these people start
dumping their gear as quickly as possible - preferably on eBay with no
reserve and low starting bids.

ROTFL!
Attaboy! Hear,hear! Y-esss!
(and other typical sounds of
complete approval!)

By the same logic, this would be a good time
to pick up that Hummer or Cadillac Escadrille
that you've been lusting after.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com
Old November 16th 05, 01:54 PM
Matt Clara

wrote:

[...]

That's a ridiculous comparison. Lots of pros and amateurs alike are taking
advantage of the drop in used medium-format gear prices. Just because
you're not interested doesn't mean others aren't.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com