Predictions - longevity of MF film

Old November 15th 05, 01:46 PM
David J. Littleboy

Default Predictions - longevity of MF film

"Chris Brown" wrote:
David J. Littleboy wrote:

For the nonce, though, 6x7 is better than digital can dream of, even
scanned
with an Epson 4990.

Surely nonces[1] would prefer digital? Less chance of the processor
reporting them to the police.

[1] http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nonce

That's not what it means on my side of the pond...

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old November 15th 05, 02:18 PM
Dave the Guy

You can always process your own. It's a bit time consuming, but if one
really liked MF film qualities and didn't have access to a quick turn
around lab, getting some chemicals and processing tanks wouldn't be too
costly.

Lucky me, I live in nyc, where you can't turn around downtown without
facing a processing lab. My particular lab still does enough film
processing business that they're regularly backed up a day or two...and
it's a BIG pro shop. I may actually do my own processing in the near
future (winter time means not wanting to trek to the lab and more time
keeping warm at home).

I think 120/220 film will still be around, just not as readily, for
some years to come. As long as there are students/amatuers looking to
upgrade from small format without spending several thousand dollars of
initial investment, there will be 120 film. Just my $0.02 and naivety.

Old November 15th 05, 02:51 PM
Norm Dresner

"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...

M wrote:
Where do you live?

I live in a small coastal city in Aus and a camera store sells 120 & 220
film and takes it for processing (although they send it to the capital to
get it done). They say they are still doing stacks of film processing
too.

In Hawaii on the Big Island. I believe any MF processing goes off
Island.

Yeah. And buying 120 film there is a tough problem too.

Norm

Old November 15th 05, 03:19 PM
Chris Brown

In article ,
David J. Littleboy wrote:

"Chris Brown" wrote:
David J. Littleboy wrote:

For the nonce, though, 6x7 is better than digital can dream of, even
scanned
with an Epson 4990.

Surely nonces[1] would prefer digital? Less chance of the processor
reporting them to the police.

[1] http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nonce

That's not what it means on my side of the pond...

Another one of these "separated by a common language" things, it seems, but
one that's got more potential for embarassment than most. ;-)
Old November 15th 05, 03:52 PM
David J. Littleboy

"Chris Brown" wrote:
David J. Littleboy wrote:
"Chris Brown" wrote:
David J. Littleboy wrote:

For the nonce, though, 6x7 is better than digital can dream of, even
scanned
with an Epson 4990.

Surely nonces[1] would prefer digital? Less chance of the processor
reporting them to the police.

[1] http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nonce

That's not what it means on my side of the pond...

Another one of these "separated by a common language" things, it seems,
but
one that's got more potential for embarassment than most. ;-)

What's amusing is that a lot of those are the US retaining older meanings,
but you guys coming up with new uses that we don't adopt.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old November 15th 05, 04:27 PM
Scott W

Norm Dresner wrote:
"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...

M wrote:
Where do you live?

I live in a small coastal city in Aus and a camera store sells 120 & 220
film and takes it for processing (although they send it to the capital to
get it done). They say they are still doing stacks of film processing
too.

In Hawaii on the Big Island. I believe any MF processing goes off
Island.

Yeah. And buying 120 film there is a tough problem too.

Norm

Yup, and shipping cost to and from here will kill you, if you don't
want to way for a long time.

My guess is the 1Ds Mark II pretty much killed off MF here.

Scott

Scott

Old November 15th 05, 04:35 PM
Scott W

Lorem Ipsum wrote:
"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...

In Hawaii on the Big Island. I believe any MF processing goes off
Island.

How strange. The most common Fuji and Frontier machines that routinely do
35mm also do 120 and 220. Seems that when people bought them, the 120/220
option was very reasonable.

The only place I know of that does fairly good prints is Costco, they
use a Noritsu model 2901, I don't know if it handles 120 film but I
have never seen it running other then 35mm.

Often even if the printer does handle it the operators won't run it for
you, in the case of Costco I don't think they would even know what to
charge.

Beyond that when you see how they treat film you would be reluctant to
bring you negatives to them.

Scott

Old November 15th 05, 04:37 PM
Lorem Ipsum

"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...

Yup, and shipping cost to and from here will kill you, if you don't
want to way for a long time.

Patience pays. So does planning.

Old November 15th 05, 04:49 PM
Scott W

Lorem Ipsum wrote:
"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...

Yup, and shipping cost to and from here will kill you, if you don't
want to way for a long time.

Patience pays. So does planning.

For me it is just not worth it.
I can get whatever resilution I want now, and it won't be long before I
can buy a digital camera that matches MF.

Scott

Old November 15th 05, 04:54 PM
Lorem Ipsum

"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...

For me it is just not worth it.
I can get whatever resilution I want now, and it won't be long before I
can buy a digital camera that matches MF.

Yawn!