it's back to respooling for superslide shooters

Old November 3rd 05, 11:43 PM

Default it's back to respooling for superslide shooters

According to J&C (and confirmed by Maco) the 127 sized Macochrome branded E6
film has been discontinued. There are some remaining stocks out there. I
see the frugal photographer still has it listed on his website. According
to Maco, they cannot source a "master" roll of 46mm E6 film. What's a
"master" roll anyway? I had thought that Macochrome was Ferrania film (and
most people on this NG agreed with that theory). Coincidentally Ferrania
has discontinued their Solaris Chrome product, which was only available in
35mm. I directly e-mailed Ferrania about this and their story is that the
Macochrome wasn't their film. I guess that's beside the point now as
Ferrania isn't making E6 film anyway. Well it's back to the closet for
respooling for me. What a pain in the backside - but at least I'll have
brand name film.

Old November 4th 05, 12:48 PM

"Jim Hemenway" wrote in message
Film for Classics has 127 Ektachrome.
http://www.filmforclassics.com/

I buy it for use with my Baby Rollei, here's one which I took with this
film a couple of years ago:

http://www.hemenway.com/images/Trees...orn%20Pond.jpg

I've tried their Ektachrome a few times. First of all it's too expensive
and secondly, the rolls I bought had sprocket holes on one side (sliced 70mm
film?) which made cropping superslides that much more difficult. I don't
see why Fuji or Kodak can't produce a E6 127 product. The amount of 127
TLRs in use must have increased tenfold since the advent of eBay.

Old November 7th 05, 06:23 PM
Michael Benveniste

wrote:

I've tried their Ektachrome a few times. First of all it's too expensive
and secondly, the rolls I bought had sprocket holes on one side (sliced
70mm
film?) which made cropping superslides that much more difficult. I don't
see why Fuji or Kodak can't produce a E6 127 product. The amount of 127
TLRs in use must have increased tenfold since the advent of eBay.

Perhaps use has increased 10-fold, but I doubt it. I imagine a lot
of these cameras change hands, get used once or twice, and then get
put back on the shelf as a collectible.

But even if we use your 10x figure, I doubt that's enough to warrant
a Fuji or Kodak production run. Simply put, large companies like
these have large overhead costs. They aren't very good at competing
in niche markets.

It's interesting that you received sliced 70mm film. Kodak gave up
on selling 15' cartridges of the stuff years ago, and they appear to
have recently discontinued perforated 70mm portra as well. In fact,
they may have given up on 70mm perforated film entirely.

--
Michael Benveniste --

Old November 8th 05, 12:29 AM
Jim Hemenway

Yes, that's what I've received as well. I don't understand your comment
about cropping, but that the sprocket holes do make mounting the slides
a little more difficult.

The only other option which I can think of to get fresh 127 Ektachrome,
is to buy one of those very expensive trimmer/slicers used to cut 120
film into 127.

My Baby Rollei is the only 127 camera that I own, and I use it only 2-3
times a year, so the second option is too expensive for me.

Jim

Old November 9th 05, 10:05 PM

"Jim Hemenway" wrote in message
Yes, that's what I've received as well. I don't understand your comment
about cropping, but that the sprocket holes do make mounting the slides
a little more difficult.

Cropping in the sense of getting the image you want as opposed to what
you're stuck with because you have to adjust to eliminate the sprocket
holes. According to most in this group 70mm Ektachrome is a thing of the
past so I haven't a clue what FFC is using to make their 127 film. I
believe there's a 65mm film that sold only to the trade. Could that be it?

The only other option which I can think of to get fresh 127 Ektachrome,
is to buy one of those very expensive trimmer/slicers used to cut 120
film into 127.

I think I've come up with an easy and cheap way of trimming 120 film for use
in 127 cameras but so far I've only used it to produce film for 121 spools
(127's predecessor). What I need is a 120 sized E6 film that will fit
entirely onto a 127 film spool. The new Velvia 100 is pretty thin, but
that's a special purpose film (e.g. greenery). What's the thinnest general
purpose E6 film out there? I seem to remember Agfa being pretty thin too
but unfortunately that might be a thing of the past real soon.

My Baby Rollei is the only 127 camera that I own, and I use it only 2-3
times a year, so the second option is too expensive for me.

Yeah, but if the price were right I'm sure you and many others would be
using their 127 TLRs a whole lot more frequently. You can't beat a TLR that
fits in the palm of you hand!