lens quality

Old March 24th 05, 02:42 AM

In message ,
paul wrote:

OK but that's true for film too. I suppose this is more of an issue with
digital because of the crop factor then, especially compared to MF. Are
tiny P&S digicams not able to get small apertures? I don't understand
why when I add a 2x teleconverter to my 200mm, it goes from f/22 to
f/45. I haven't worked with it much but it seems fine at f/45. Maybe
because it's such a big klunky lens to start with.

There is no change in *aperture* when you put a TC between the lens and
the camera. The change is in "f-stop". The f-stop is the ratio of
focal length to aperture. The aperture in both cases is 9.09mm.
--

John P Sheehy

Old March 24th 05, 02:44 AM

In message ,
paul wrote:

Oh, and my overambitious 28-200 zoom goes to f/36 but the 70-200 only
goes to f/22. The 28-200 looks awful at f/36 usually. I will admit
that... but sometimes it is useful.

Sometimes you want a tremendous range of depths that are all just
slightly away from being sharp!
--

John P Sheehy

Old March 24th 05, 02:48 AM
Eric Gill

rafe bustin wrote in
:

You'd have to explain why an area of
silicon 3.75mm square can capture about
the same degree of detail as a square
of film 6.35m square -- and with far
less noise. (Ratio of areas ~3:1)

As a dramatic example:

These two images are of the same subject, in the same office but not the
same angle, but with a film rig and my 20D. On the left is the Hasselblad
contender, shot by one of the better know and extremely successful (i.e.,
damn well equipped) photographers in Houston, and scanned with a high-end
Hell drum scanner. On the right is mine.

http://www.nightskyimages.net/Hasselblad-vs-20D.jpg

(On a side note, his was shot almost eight years ago, mine this morning,
which is why Houston developer Randall Davis looks a bit different).

Both are 100% crops.

Old March 24th 05, 02:53 AM

I'm talking about the sie of film grains and sensors. There is no
comparison.

See:
http://www.imx.nl/photosite/technica...ilmbasics.html

Search for the term "1 micron scale" to see the picture of film grain
comapred to the 1 micron scale.

David J. Littleboy wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

"There's no question that modern CMOS/CCD sensors capture far more
information per unit area than film.

You're out of your ****ing mind. Film grains are hundreds of times
smaller than sensors.

No, he's quite right. Consider a 16x24mm area of ISO 400 film and

what an
8x10 print from that would look like: seriously disgusting. Now look

at an
8x10 print from a 6 or 8MP Canon or Nikon dSLR at ISO 400: maybe not

as good
as MF at 8x10, but nowhere near as problematic as half-frame 35mm.

Now consider a 6.6 x 8.8 area of ISO 100 film printed at 8x10 and

look at an
8x10 from the Sony F717. An even larger difference, although the

Sony's
pretty poor compared to the dSLR.

David J. Littleboy

Tokyo, Japan

Old March 24th 05, 02:58 AM
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

Oh, and my overambitious 28-200 zoom goes to f/36 but the 70-200 only
goes to f/22. The 28-200 looks awful at f/36 usually. I will admit
that... but sometimes it is useful.

Sometimes you want a tremendous range of depths that are all just
slightly away from being sharp!

And if you can't turn off auto-focus, the best you can do is stop down
the lens all the way.... Good tip. :-)

-Joel