BAN: Photography on USA trains and buses

Old May 24th 04, 03:17 PM
TP

Default Photography on USA trains and buses

"Mick Sterbs" wrote:

Agree with you. I've never ever felt any negative vibes whatsoever, wherever
I've been with my camera, and I am rarely without it. Indeed, photography
seems to be getting more and more popular here, with more and more cameras
in evidence.

Absolutely.

Anyone who wants to see how anti-photography other countries are
should travel to France and behave exactly as they would in the UK.
The reactions of other people - and the authorities - towards street
photographers are startlingly different to those in the UK.

Though I DO wonder why people bother taking pictures of the
lions at the zoo with their mobile phones!! When we visited Marwell Zoo
quite recently I must have seen at least 6 examples of the practice.

Why? Because they can!

;-)

Old May 24th 04, 03:21 PM
Joseph Meehan

Gordon Hudson wrote:
"Anastasia Orfanos" wrote in message
The Americans are going to ban the use of cameras and camcorders on
trains and buses.

As I understand it, it applies to stations not the actual trains or
busses.

I also understand that you may get permission easily by showing proper
ID.

Over here (UK) it is generally considered anti social to take
photographs in public.

Not from my experience.

Most privately owned public places (like shopping malls) do not permit
photography.

I believe you will find that is more a matter of protecting the stores
from the competitors than anything else. Back 30 years ago when I worked in
retail, I was on both sides of those rules.

You are not permitted to take photographs, in or near school property.
School children are not allowed cameras on the premises (including
mobile phones containing cameras).

Is that surprising? How much of an inconvenience is that? I'll bet
parents could get permission in most cases.

Lets face it, the UK is gradually becoming the new stalinist state.

Again, not in my experience.

Over the past few years I have been getting less and less bold with my
photography.....

Gordon

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old May 24th 04, 03:37 PM
Stacey

Default BAN: Photography on USA trains and buses

Scott Schuckert wrote:

Each one of these so-called security measures is a win for the
terrorists.. We've done far more damage ourselves since 9/11 than the
enemy did.

Yep they won as soon as we started reacting to the disaster. Most of these
"homeland security" measures just take away our freedom and seems to assume
everyone is a terrorist. We leave the borders WIDE OPEN yet enact insame
measures like this? It seems anything is OK, as far as taking away our
personal freedom, as long as it doesn't cost the government any money.

--

Stacey
Old May 24th 04, 04:00 PM
Robert Polk

As of next Monday this area (Brunswick, GA) will be considered as under a
State of Emergency because of the upcoming G-8 conference. Got ID'd taking
pictures downtown a couple of weeks ago.
Bob
"Anastasia Orfanos" wrote in message
The Americans are going to ban the use of cameras and camcorders on trains
and buses.

So much for the "land of the free".

http://1010wins.com/topstories/winst...141171549.html

Old May 24th 04, 04:16 PM
Jackie

The USA is definitely going down the tube!!!

Pathetic

Paranoid

Jackie

Old May 24th 04, 04:21 PM
david.mccall

"Jackie" wrote in message
The USA is definitely going down the tube!!!

Pathetic

Paranoid

Jackie

Unfortunately it's the RIGHT tube.

David

Old May 24th 04, 04:26 PM
RSD99

HeHeHeHeHe ...

First:
This "applies" only to "NYC Transit" ... the Political Bureaucracy that runs the public
transportation in the City of New York. That's a LONG way from *all* "USA trains and
busses"

See the phrase
"NYC Transit, the division of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority that runs the
subways, the buses and the Staten Island Railway, ..."
in the referenced URL.

Second:
At the present, it is just a "proposed" rule/law.

Third:
Also note the passage "... NYC Transit also proposed banning passengers from using end
doors to move from one subway car to another, putting feet up on seats and standing on
skateboards on subways or buses, among other changes. ..."

Yeah ... Sure ...

Old May 24th 04, 04:40 PM
Journalist-North

wrote in message

Oh BFD. You're right to photograph me will be curtailed. What about
my right not to be photographed unless I choose?

--------

What right NOT to be photographed? If you are in a public place it don't
exist!

Are you are absolutely and totally ignorant of the fact that you are
probably photographed by security cameras throughout your day - hundreds of
times a day - and you just don't know it.

So, it's OK to photograph you as long as you don't actually see the camera?
Or as long as it's only within the control of faceless and nameless
government and commercial hands? BFD eh?

IDIOT!!!

Journalist

Old May 24th 04, 05:05 PM
Gordon Hudson

"TP" wrote in message
news
"Mick Sterbs" wrote:

Agree with you. I've never ever felt any negative vibes whatsoever,

wherever
I've been with my camera, and I am rarely without it. Indeed,

photography
seems to be getting more and more popular here, with more and more

cameras
in evidence.

Absolutely.

Ok remove UK put Scotland

Scotland is at the forefront of child protection legislation.
England will presumably follow suit.
It eventually leaks out into all areas of life.

Gordon