6x17 panorama

Old January 24th 05, 03:05 AM
rafe bustin

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 21:04:04 -0500, rafe bustin
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 02:06:35 +0100, ".::SuperBLUE::."
wrote:

Any old 13 x 18 and a pair of scissors would be a lot cheaper and offer
more possibilities.

I am new to photography, so I would like to ask some dumb questions:

1. Color films for large format and where are they developed?
2. Would large format confine me to black & white manualy developed photos?
3. Is it better to buy large format camera or 6x17 considering the available
lenses (I like the telephoto)?

Unless I'm mistaken, Fuji and Kodak are the lost
folks left making color films in 4x5 size

D'oh. Meant "last folks", of course.

rafe
Old January 24th 05, 03:27 AM
David J. Littleboy

"rafe bustin" wrote:
"David J. wrote:

If you are going to scan, then you can just shoot three images on 6x7 and
merge. I like lower aspect ratios, so two images with a wide angle lens

does
it for me.

http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/33533884/large

I see you're getting some mileage out of that picture, David.

Yes. I should get off my duff and do some more panos.

It's a nice mood and composition... but I
wonder about the overall blue cast. The
picture looks a lot more real (and IMO,
no less attractive) with the blue channel
toned down. And that's what you'd get if
you made the concrete wall neutral.

Well, the slides are blue and it was blue.

Do you know offhand the largest length
(single frame) of 120 film that the
LS-8000 will scan? It's tempting to
get a MF back for my ShenHao (4x5)
so that I go back to using the Nikon
to scan that stuff.

The largest frame the Nikon will scan is 56x82 mm.

So you have to scan twice and stitch.

Someone sent me a 6x17 frame to play with, and although I succeeded in
scanning that frame, it was only because that particular frame didn't cause
Newton's rings. With the regular film holder, and with a mask holding the
6x17 frame off the glass, I was unable to get the film flat enough to remain
in critical focus across the whole frame.

In the spirit of sharing, here's a
pano I made from four 645 images.
I had fun printing this 80"x18"
on my Epson.

What do you use to drive the Epson for longer than standard sizes?

http://www.terrapinphoto.com/fog_pano.jpg

Ah, I see you left the power pole. A lot of my countryside shots have lots
of power poles. They don't bother me, since they actually were there. But
some people think they should be photoshopped out...

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old January 24th 05, 03:37 AM
Nick Zentena

In rec.photo.equipment.large-format jjs wrote:
You should be sure you want 6x17. 17cm requires 7" or better enlarging
equipment. It could get complicated or expensive quickly. On the other hand,
12cm is common, and wide lenses that cover it are easily found.

The wide angle part might not end up being true. A 75mm Nikon should cover
6x17. To get something similar on 6x12 you'd need something around 58mm.
OTOH a 6x12 back can be had for relatively little.

Nick
Old January 24th 05, 02:53 PM
Paul Owen via PhotoKB.com

I've just started using the Art Panorama/ Shen Hao 6x17 roll film back with a 5x4 field camera. I'm VERY surprised at the quality of the build and the results! Only down side is that you are really limited to using lenses from 90mm-150mm, anything longer will vignette slightly (a 210mm lens gives an image approx 6x15cms. Shorter than 90mm and the front and rear standards of most cameras will not allow focus as they are too close together. BTW I am using a recessed panel and bag bellows with the 90mm and am able to employ movements.

Old January 24th 05, 03:15 PM
rafe bustin

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 11:27:40 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
wrote:

What do you use to drive the Epson for longer than standard sizes?

http://www.terrapinphoto.com/fog_pano.jpg

Nothing special. Epson driver. For the 7000,
the limit is around 80 inches.

Strangely, the driver will let you plug in
much larger values but will then choke.

Somewhere along the way I found a PDF
(from Epson's web site) with official
print-length limits for this printer...
and chose a length just below that.

It's still not optimal -- if I could use
the full printing width available, the
print would be more like 100" long.

But I'm not about to shell out thousands
of $$ for a RIP, not quite yet.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
Old January 24th 05, 10:06 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

".::SuperBLUE::." wrote

Is Linhof or Fuji 617 unavoidable or is there a cheaper solution?

Use a 5x7 (or 8x10 or 4x5) and use the center strip. And after
you are done you still have a perfectly useful camera, unlike
a Linhof 6x17.

If you want hand-held then get a Crown graphic and a 65mm lens and
have someone fit a recessed lensboard.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
To reply, remove spaces: n o lindan at ix . netcom . com
Old January 24th 05, 10:11 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

".::SuperBLUE::." wrote

1. Color films for large format and where are they developed?

Most professional large format work is in color, any medium/large city
will have a laboratory that does large format color. You can also do
it yourself in a flat bottom tray resting in a much larger tray of hot
water. Look for the Tetenal kits.

2. Would large format confine me to black & white manualy developed photos?

No.

3. Is it better to buy large format camera or 6x17 considering the available
lenses (I like the telephoto)?

There aren't any lenses available for 6x17 cameras except the one that
came with it and maybe one or two others.

For large format there are 1000's of lenses.

Old January 24th 05, 10:14 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Paul Owen via PhotoKB.com" wrote

Shorter than 90mm and the front and rear standards of most [field] cameras
will not allow focus as they are too close together.

A monorail, such a Sinar, will go down to 45mm. There are special double-bag
bellows for use below 65mm.

Old January 24th 05, 10:39 PM
Bob Salomon

In article . net,
"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote:

A monorail, such a Sinar, will go down to 45mm. There are special double-bag
bellows for use below 65mm.

A monorail like Linhof takes lenses down to 35mm and use the standard
bag bellows.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old January 25th 05, 02:54 AM
Roger I. McMillan

While a Fuji 617 was my first MF camera I couldn't recommend
it for someone new to photography. It does one thing well but
not much else. Cropping a LF frame to the same aspect will give
the same results but allow for more flexibility: format, lenses,
movements.

Why 6x17 or large format ? Planning wall size murals ?

Roger I. McMillan