Desaturation

Old August 26th 16, 10:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Default Desaturation

On 2016-08-24 14:53, Tony Cooper wrote:
Sometimes bright colors add to a photograph, but there are times when
they dominate the image to the detriment of the image. I liked this
image of the girl in the red hat, but the red seemed to just take over
the image. Looking back over some old images, I decided to see what
it would look like desaturated but not to the point of being a
monochrome.

Here's both the original (2015-01-06-9A) and the desaturated version
(2015-01-06-9B).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/abn35vcs3...wqKopO-ua?dl=0

Seems to have stolen all the punch. You could have selected the hat and
desaturated in that area only (with whatever technique suits you).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8icggkzqzg...nCooRedHat.png

1 Magic Wand selection (sloppily-didn't spend much time)
2 While selected
Image | Adjustments | Hue Saturation
Desaturated the reds slightly.

This allowed the skin tones to be kept and the hat to lose its
dominance.

--
She hummed to herself because she was an unrivaled botcher of lyrics.
-Nick (Gone Girl), Gillian Flynn.
Old August 27th 16, 12:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 8/26/2016 6:13 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Fri, 26 Aug 2016 17:54:32 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

On 2016-08-24 14:53, Tony Cooper wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Alan, but that wasn't what I was after. At all.

Selecting an area and making a change is, if you'll forgive the pun
here, old hat for me.

I wanted that global change.

Your opening statement noted overwhelming red
however you said nothing about wanting to change
the mood of the photo.

Why in the world are you surprised that people
are suggesting ways to reduce the impact of
the red hat?
Maybe if your subject were, say:

Desaturation and mood (or some such)

you'd have gotten properly topical responses.
[YMMV]
==
Later...
Ron C

Old August 27th 16, 01:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Ron C" wrote:

| Your opening statement noted overwhelming red
| however you said nothing about wanting to change
| the mood of the photo.

He said that in his first response to SD. He started out
presenting it as an example of desaturation, implying
that he though the red was detracting from the face.
I had the same impression you did.
But in his response to SD he explained that 1) it actually
wasn't just desaturation that he did and 2) he was aiming
to make the girl look wretched, which he did by
overcontrasting to give her a slightly sooty chimneysweep
look. Personally I don't think it works. Her expression
doesn't have the requisite despair or vacancy to go with
the wretchedness. Meanwhile, the original appeal -- the
bloom of youth -- has been lost. A matter of taste, I
suppose. Either way, it seems the desaturating was only
a minor factor.

Old August 27th 16, 02:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

wrote:

On 2016-08-24 14:53, Tony Cooper wrote:
[...]

The way you desaturated it in your first example makes it look rather
pukey, IMO.