A New Fire This Evening

Old August 22nd 16, 06:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default A New Fire This Evening

On 2016-08-20 15:26:43 +0000, Savageduck
On 2016-08-18 02:44:44 +0000, Savageduck
On 2016-08-18 02:25:51 +0000, Mort said:

Savageduck wrote:
This evening we had another fire break out about 6 miles west of us.
The
various fire attack tankers have been flying missions until they
lost
light. It looks like the ground crews are going to be busy all
through
the night.
https://db.tt/toKTw9em
https://db.tt/KsrBEYN8
https://db.tt/ltkyoZCw
https://db.tt/bCsOY5yn
https://db.tt/o2Oy2Syv
https://db.tt/e4DExwGO

I wish you the best of good luck in this terrible situation. A few
years ago, my nephew's neighbors' houses in Carlsbad burned to the
ground, his front lawn pine tree caught fire, but luckily his
beautiful home was spared. He ,his wife, and his 2 young children
were all OK.

Regarding your fire, there are news reports that a man was arrested
and charged with setting the fire. If so, then he should be severely
punished.

That arrest was for the Clayton fire up in Lake County at Clear Lake.
He faces 17 charges of arson, he is going to have the book thrown at
him. Our fire, the Chimney fire (for Chimney Rock Road) is in San Luis
Obispo County, and is still under investigation.

Good luck. Let is know how you are doing. Above all, be careful, and
do not try to be a hero.

Thanks. With this evening's report at 18:30, we are up to 8,000 acres
burned, 45 structures destroyed, and 7 damaged.
http://www.fire.ca.gov/current_incidents/incidentdetails/Index/1389

...and we have quite a few active fires out here in California.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_234.jpg

...and the fire continues to grow to the South-West which is away from
us and in a much more rugged mountainous area making things tough on
the firefighters.

As of 18:00 tonight 12,939 acres have burned with 35% containment. We
now have 71 fire crew with 2,699 fire personnel, 218 fire engines, 7
airtankers, 14 helicopters, 50 bulldozers, and 35 water tenders. The
aerial attack has been nonstop since about 5 AM. At one time they had 4
tankers in orbit at 4,500 ft. while five helicopters dropped their
water loads. Then the tankers flew in from their orbit led by a DC-7.
Some of today's burn.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/11408770_G.jpg

I see haloing, fringing, no bokeh, and......

Just joking 'round. Fine photo of a nasty situation. That you can
clearly see flame from that distance in daylight means a huge firey
plume.

Yup! It seems to be really tough to fight on the South-Western edge.
In the CalFire report this morning it grew from 12,939 acres to 15,439
acres overnight. That is mostly burning towards Hearst Castle and
Cambria.

On the Western and Northern edge of the fire things have grown. We are
up to 17,000 acres burned since this morning, and the containment has
dropped from 35% to 33%.
The leading edge of the fire is 2.5 miles from Hearst Castle, and two
Hearst Ranch cabins have been burned. The California State Park Service
closed Hearst Castle to the public, were taking measures to protect the
interior and art work from smoke damage. They have also cut protective
lines West of the Castle.
The fire is also threatening to make its way around the lake to threaten
communities on the North shore of the lake and in Monterey County.

That is indeed a terrible situation. I'm sure you have all your
important images backed up to somewhere off premises. If there is a
shift in the winds, you may not have the time to grab everything you
would like to.
Keep safe. As you have learned in the past, cameras can always be replaced.

Well, it has been burning just over a week now and things have gone
from bad to worse. The fire has expanded to 27,545 acres and the
Western edge is within 2 miles of Hearst Castle. In the North-West
Corner of the fire has made an end-around to cross to North of the lake
to threaten about 1000 homes. Folks living there on the North shore of
the lake are under a mandatory evacuation order. They have brought in
some more resources. There are now 93 fire crews with 3,519 fire
personnel and 297 fire engines at work. They have activated our reverse
911 system and emergency mobile phone alert system.

…and we wait.

Savageduck

Old August 22nd 16, 10:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 2016-08-20 15:26:43 +0000, Savageduck
On 2016-08-18 02:44:44 +0000, Savageduck
On 2016-08-18 02:25:51 +0000, Mort said:

Savageduck wrote:
[...]

It seems to be moving away from you ...

Eric Stevens