No need to know anything..

Old January 15th 11, 10:22 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Jean-David Beyer

Default No need to know anything..

K W Hart wrote:
"Jean-David Beyer" wrote in message
I was at a week-long photo workshop long ago. One of the participants
was using the 120-size Pentax SLR. Most of the other users used 35mm. I
had my 4x5 at the time. But that did not matter a whole lot. People in a
workshop like that should use whatever they were most comfortable with,
since it was not primarily about technique.

He was really concerned that he should use a hardening stop bath, so I
suggested SB-4, although I questioned the need. He complained his
pictures were not sharp enough. He also said his camera was not doing
what it should. I could see that the camera would focus, and could be
adjusted to expose correctly, and so on. I asked what his camera should
do that it was not doing, but he was pretty vague about that too. I
thought his pictures were lousy, but that was due to where he put the
four edges of the frame, the depth of field he chose, and what was in
it, which were artistic decisions he made, not a fault of the camera.

He went on like that all week.

/sarcasm mode on/

Everyone knows that a hardening stop bath will improve any picture. You
don't even have to look through the viewfinder; just fire the shutter
randomly, then use a hardening stop bath, and the pictures will be works of
art. In fact, I use hardening versions of all my chemicals: hardening
developer, hardening bleach-fix, even hardening wash. Because of that, my
pictures are fantastic beyond belief.

You know, if he would have bought the latest digital camera and accessories,
his pictures would have been great. At least for a year, until a new model
camera came out. Then his pictures would be lousy again until he bought a
new latest digital camera and it's accessories.

This was before digital cameras were usual (about 1975).

As far as buying my way to artistic success, my favorite was a series of
"filters" sold by Spiratone (I believe it was). This was a thing you
screwed to the front of your lens, like a filter. It had a color filter,
at least one circular polarizer, and a quarter wave plate. And a lever
on the side so you could turn something inside. Moving that lever made
it go from clear to the color of the filter. There were some with two
colors, so you could change from red to green, for example. I thought of
buying one for laughs, but the laugh was not enough to cover the price,
so I never got one.

/sarcasm mode off/

Ken Hart

/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey
http://counter.li.org
^^-^^ 16:15:01 up 2 days, 8:09, 4 users, load average: 5.37, 4.97, 4.78
Old January 15th 11, 10:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Howard Lester[_3_]

"Jean-David Beyer" wrote

As far as buying my way to artistic success, my favorite was a series of
"filters" sold by Spiratone (I believe it was). This was a thing you
screwed to the front of your lens, like a filter.

Now *there* is an outfit I'd completely forgotten -- thanks for the
"memory!"

Old January 15th 11, 10:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 1/15/2011 8:39 AM Howard Lester spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl"

I guess I'm lucky, in that the only photography classes I took were not at
all like this. I actually had a minor brush with celebrity when I took my
first class from Paul Kuiper at his home in Tucson, ca. 1970. Paul's
father was the astronomer Gerard Kuiper, who the University of Arizona's
Optical Sciences Center was named after.

Not quite -- The Optical Sciences Center (now the Meinel Optical Sciences
Center) is across the "mall" from the Gerard P. Kuiper Space Sciences
Center, formerly the Lunar and Planetary Lab, aka the "Looney Lab." :-)

Oops, my bad; after all, this is memory going back, lessee, 40 years.

I believe all this is near the Flandreau Planetarium, no? (Named after
Grace, right?)

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Old January 16th 11, 12:02 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Howard Lester[_3_]

"David Nebenzahl" wrote

Not quite -- The Optical Sciences Center (now the Meinel Optical
Sciences Center) is across the "mall" from the Gerard P. Kuiper Space
Sciences Center, formerly the Lunar and Planetary Lab, aka the "Looney
Lab." :-)

Oops, my bad; after all, this is memory going back, lessee, 40 years.

I believe all this is near the Flandreau Planetarium, no? (Named after
Grace, right?)

It is just east of the [Grace H.] Flandrau, yes. It, too, had a name change:
it's now Flandrau Science Center and Planetarium. I think everything around
there's had a name change! (But I had to look that one up!) Good memory,
David. The campus has grown a lot since you were there.

BTW, I have had the pleasure meeting John Schaefer, including borrowing a
couple of his large format lenses for a photo shoot he was involved in. He
was responsible for establishing the Center of Creative Photography, as has
already been cited, and influenced Ansel Adams to donate his negatives and
prints (not all, I am sure). The Center was originally in a vacated bank
building on University and Tyndall, west of campus. It was there I got to
see some of AA's prints without glass in front of them. Pretty spectacular.
A few years later the huge campus building was constructed to house the
archives of many photographers, and to provide a sizeable photography
library and a full gallery. I spent a fair number of "lunch hours" over
there.

Howard
former Tucsonan

Old January 16th 11, 05:46 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Lawrence T. Akutagawa

"Howard Lester" wrote in message

"David Nebenzahl" wrote

[...]

*******
As far as I know, all of Adams' negatives are at UA except for the two dozen
or so "Yosemite Special Edition Photographs" ones which are kept by the
Ansel Adams Gallery in Yosemite Village. Adams - bless his heart - kept
those there with the stipulation that prints from them be sold to the public
at reasonable prices rather than the sky high ones his prints otherwise
command. Those negatives are all of images taken in Yosemite National Park.
The prints - about 7 1/2 x 9 1/2 - are true and actual photographic prints,
not poster type reproductions. And when I was first aware of them, they
sold for $50 each. I see from the Ansel Adams Gallery they now sell for
$225 each. http://www.anseladams.com/category_s/2.htm

Note - because these are actual silver gelatin prints, there are minor
variations among them. If you go to purchase from the gallery in Yosemite
Village, go when things are slow - early in the morning on a weekday works
well - and ask to see at least 3 prints of the image you want. Then look
closely at each print and purchase the one you want. You may have to ask
the clerk to humor you - I did...she insisted there was no difference among
the prints until I pointed out to her how the detail in the shadows and in
the highlights varied among the prints.