Future Safe ? :- Batteries for Hasselblad 503CW & Minolta Maxxum 7xi

Old July 11th 10, 03:45 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
42FHMXZ7

Default Future Safe ? :- Batteries for Hasselblad 503CW & Minolta Maxxum 7xi

Hi ,

I have made the switch to digital photography Panasonic Lumxix TZ3 &
Sony a-900 a while ago but I wanted to know how long will it be before
medium format film production and the batteries for the Hasselblad and
the Minolta Maxxum 7xi is stopped ?

Do people think these cameras will still be working in 20-30 years
i.e. will parts be available like batteries .

Thanks for any help in advance

Peter

Old July 11th 10, 04:00 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

42FHMXZ7 wrote,on my timestamp of 11/07/2010 12:45 PM:

I have made the switch to digital photography Panasonic Lumxix TZ3 &
Sony a-900 a while ago but I wanted to know how long will it be before
medium format film production and the batteries for the Hasselblad and
the Minolta Maxxum 7xi is stopped ?

People have predicted the disappearance of medium format film since 35mm
photography started, nearly 70 years ago or thereabouts. They were wrong.

As for batteries: what's that got to do with film or digital cameras?

FYI: I Have a Nikon F with an FTN finder for which I still regularly get new
batteries. That camera is much older than the Maxxum and likely as old as the
Hassy. And last time I looked most old Hassys can work without batteries.

Do people think these cameras will still be working in 20-30 years
i.e. will parts be available like batteries .

Oh, I don't know, with the proliferation of digital cameras one never knows how
many battery operated devices will be obsolete...

Ah yes: the oldest camera I have is the F, dates from 68 and it still works
better than most digitals I've got.
So yes, they'll be operational in 20-30 years.

Your current digital cameras will have ceased to work long before that.

Are you just scamming again or is this the Sunday troll?
Old July 11th 10, 05:00 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

"42FHMXZ7" wrote in message
Hi ,

I have made the switch to digital photography Panasonic Lumxix TZ3 &
Sony a-900 a while ago but I wanted to know how long will it be before
medium format film production and the batteries for the Hasselblad and
the Minolta Maxxum 7xi is stopped ?

Do people think these cameras will still be working in 20-30 years
i.e. will parts be available like batteries .

Thanks for any help in advance

Peter

No piece of electronic equipment will be worth anything in "20 to 30 years."
By then your digital camera will be nothing more than a curiosity for a
museum. Get your use out of it now, and plan on upgrading within 5 years or
less......

Old July 11th 10, 03:09 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 10-07-10 22:45 , 42FHMXZ7 wrote:
Hi ,

I have made the switch to digital photography Panasonic Lumxix TZ3&
Sony a-900 a while ago but I wanted to know how long will it be before
medium format film production and the batteries for the Hasselblad and
the Minolta Maxxum 7xi is stopped ?

Do people think these cameras will still be working in 20-30 years
i.e. will parts be available like batteries .

I've bought a few extras for my Maxxum 9 and 7xi. The Maxxum 9 battery
(2)is also the same as for my light meter (1).

10 years? Probably.

20 - 30? Hard to say. But some sort of home made or 3rd party adaptor
might work.

I sold my Maxxum 9 vertical grip, but I did consider that it could also
be a battery pack for the 9 (using AA batts) in the event that the batts
are no longer available. I suspect used grips will be available in the
future in any case.

As to the 503 it can be used without battery power at all. And in a few
years digital backs for it will be cheaper (used) and the back can be
used to meter via the histogram.

--
gmail originated posts are filtered due to spam.
Old July 12th 10, 07:45 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Richard Knoppow

"42FHMXZ7" wrote in message
Hi ,

I have made the switch to digital photography Panasonic
Lumxix TZ3 &
Sony a-900 a while ago but I wanted to know how long will
it be before
medium format film production and the batteries for the
Hasselblad and
the Minolta Maxxum 7xi is stopped ?

Do people think these cameras will still be working in
20-30 years
i.e. will parts be available like batteries .

Thanks for any help in advance

Peter

I don't know which batteries these cameras take.
However, there are a lot of battery types being made now and
many can be adapted to work in equipment designed for older
types. Even mercury cells can be replaced with zinc-air
cells. They don't have the life but will last long enough to
be practical and keep stuff running.
Film is an open question but it appears that the switch
to digital has gone about as far as its going to. To at
least some extent the lack of products from companies like
Kodak and Agfa has been filled by smaller companies such as
Ilford and some others. Fuji, one of the giants, is still in
business and looks to be continuing for some time.
Color film, at least in 35mm format, will continue as
long as there is a demand from the motion picture industry.
Of course, its impossible to predict what will happen
in thirty years, we may well revert to a primitive culture
by then, but I suspect that film will continue to be
available and some will continue to practice chemical
photography. I very much think batteries will still be
around.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA