Schneider 210mm Angulon.

Old March 14th 09, 03:25 PM
Keith Tapscott. Keith Tapscott. is offline
Senior Member

Question Schneider 210mm Angulon.

For my 8x10 Camera, I am considering a 210mm Angulon (not super-angulon).
How well do these lenses perform provided they are in fine condition?
Old March 14th 09, 07:18 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
erie patsellis

Default Schneider 210mm Angulon.

Find one in a compound shutter, have a CLA done, and make sure to leave it to somebody on
the list in your will. They are stellar performers optically, though contrast isn't as
high as later lenses, the slight internal flare works in your favor, bringing a hint of
shadow detail out of a dark blob typically.

Mine will likely still be going strong long after I'm gone.

erie

Old March 15th 09, 08:02 PM
Keith Tapscott. Keith Tapscott. is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erie patsellis View Post
Find one in a compound shutter, have a CLA done, and make sure to leave it to somebody on
the list in your will. They are stellar performers optically, though contrast isn't as
high as later lenses, the slight internal flare works in your favor, bringing a hint of
shadow detail out of a dark blob typically.

Mine will likely still be going strong long after I'm gone.

erie
Thanks Erie, I noticed that these lenses have good coverage of the 8x10 format, hence my question.
Old March 16th 09, 07:09 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Thor Lancelot Simon

In article HxSul.15828$DP1.11824@attbi_s22,
erie patsellis wrote:

They are stellar performers optically

I have to agree that the 210mm examples are at least better than the
appalling 120mm Angulons. But Schneider's quality control left a *lot*
to be desired at the time when these lenses were made. Be careful, if
buying an Angulon (not a Super Angulon) that the actual lens *you* get
is a "stellar performer optically", not just some other Angulon you have
seen in someone else's camera bag.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon
"Even experienced UNIX users occasionally enter rm *.* at the UNIX
Old March 16th 09, 07:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Thor Lancelot Simon

erie patsellis wrote:

They are stellar performers optically

I have to agree that the 210mm examples are at least better than the
appalling 120mm Angulons. But Schneider's quality control left a *lot*
to be desired at the time when these lenses were made. Be careful, if
buying an Angulon (not a Super Angulon) that the actual lens *you* get
is a "stellar performer optically", not just some other Angulon you have
seen in someone else's camera bag.

If you want to see what I mean about quality control, have a look at the
discussion at:

http://www.pairlist.net/pipermail/la...q2/012999.html

Old March 17th 09, 01:04 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Lawrence Akutagawa

erie patsellis wrote:

They are stellar performers optically

I have to agree that the 210mm examples are at least better than the
appalling 120mm Angulons. But Schneider's quality control left a *lot*
to be desired at the time when these lenses were made. Be careful, if
buying an Angulon (not a Super Angulon) that the actual lens *you* get
is a "stellar performer optically", not just some other Angulon you have
seen in someone else's camera bag.

As I recall, in years past there was a belief that the Linhof folks had the
pick of the Schneider lenses, especially the Angulons. Such lenses bear the
Linhof name inscribed on them.

Old March 17th 09, 01:57 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Thor Lancelot Simon

erie patsellis wrote:

They are stellar performers optically

I have to agree that the 210mm examples are at least better than the
appalling 120mm Angulons. But Schneider's quality control left a *lot*
to be desired at the time when these lenses were made. Be careful, if
buying an Angulon (not a Super Angulon) that the actual lens *you* get
is a "stellar performer optically", not just some other Angulon you have
seen in someone else's camera bag.

As I recall, in years past there was a belief that the Linhof folks had the
pick of the Schneider lenses, especially the Angulons. Such lenses bear the
Linhof name inscribed on them.

I had a Linhof-branded 90mm Angulon which was a total dog, FWIW.

Old March 17th 09, 02:19 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
John J

Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

If you want to see what I mean about quality control, have a look at the
discussion at:

http://www.pairlist.net/pipermail/la...q2/012999.html

I've a great deal of respect for Christopher Perez. IMHO, he is
thorough, thoughtful and quite clear in his methodology. (I'm not so
nutz for is former enthusiasm for the Ducati motorcycle, but I'm
required to say that. He made me do it. And I crashed.)

But that was a long time ago.
Old March 17th 09, 08:13 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Lawrence Akutagawa

erie patsellis wrote:

They are stellar performers optically

I have to agree that the 210mm examples are at least better than the
appalling 120mm Angulons. But Schneider's quality control left a *lot*
to be desired at the time when these lenses were made. Be careful, if
buying an Angulon (not a Super Angulon) that the actual lens *you* get
is a "stellar performer optically", not just some other Angulon you have
seen in someone else's camera bag.

As I recall, in years past there was a belief that the Linhof folks had
the
pick of the Schneider lenses, especially the Angulons. Such lenses bear
the
Linhof name inscribed on them.

I had a Linhof-branded 90mm Angulon which was a total dog, FWIW.

here's a couple of discussions on Linhof branded Schneider lenses
http://www.largeformatphotography.in...read.php?t=767
http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=34544

Old March 17th 09, 02:21 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
John J

erie patsellis wrote:
[...]

To me, the important point in those threads to this thread is age and
use of the lens - regardless of how good a lens might be when brand-new,
a used lens is an unknown. We cannot know how it was used, cared-for, or
stored.

I have a Zeiss Planar 135mm f3.5 that I took from a Linhof aerial camera
that came from Lockheed's Skunk Works. While the names Linhof, and Skunk
Works rings lots of bells with techies, the lens is old, and by the
looks of the camera body it was thoroughly used. I would presume nothing
from the legacy of Linhof for a used lens.

(BTW, the mount for the Planar 135mm for the aerial Linhof is different
from that for the Technika which makes it impossible 'as-is' to fold
into the camera.)