Dumb question processing 4x5

Old November 16th 07, 01:12 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.equipment.large-format
pico[_8_]

Default Thanks to everyone...Follow up Question...

"Robert Chin" wrote in message
For now though I like the idea of a dilution that will allow me long
development times. I'm using the Kodak Tmax film now. Mostly the 100,
but in the future, I will be using the others.

What is a good developer/dilution (preferably using Kodak or Ilford
chemistry) that will get me longer development times, like in the range of
10+ minutes?

D-76 diluted 1:1 at 68F will do well. Ilford's ID-11 is the same. Choose
one and be happy.

I gather you prefer longer times to avoid uneven development. Good idea. If
you are doing sheet film, I can recommend Rodinal 1:100 stand processing.

Old November 16th 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Lawrence Akutagawa

"Robert Chin" wrote in message
"Lawrence Akutagawa" wrote in message

If ambient temperature is a concern, use a water bath of 68 degrees in
which you sit your loaded tank between agitation cycles.

A water bath doesn't work for me because of the lack of workspace. Plus,
I'm using those big HP plastic tanks for 4x5 film. Do you have any other
formulas that would work?

hmmm...sounds like you are dealing with a considerable volume of liquid.
Why try an experiment? Fill your tank as usual, but with just plain water
at 68 degrees. Set down and come back 15 or so minutes later and see
exactly how much temperature change has occurred. If you want something
more realistic, agitate the water periodically as you would during the
development cycle. And if the temperature differential is only a degree or
two, then try one trial negative and evaluate the results.

Old November 16th 07, 06:03 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Bogdan Karasek

pico wrote:

snip

What format are you using? 4x5? I do 4x5 to 8x10 using stand
development with Rodinal 1:100. I use trays, 11x14, when in the
developer, after a 2 minute water bath, I give them a shuffle and just
let them float emulsion side down, periodically check with my hands to
make sure one or more are stuck together. I let them float for 18 min.

How do you do it?

Cheers, Bogdan
I gather you prefer longer times to avoid uneven development. Good idea. If
you are doing sheet film, I can recommend Rodinal 1:100 stand processing.

Bogdan Karasek
Montr‚al, Qu‚bec bogdan (at) bogdanphoto.com
Canada www.bogdanphoto.com

"I photograph my reality"

Old November 16th 07, 06:11 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Bogdan Karasek

Oooops:

That should be "are NOT stuck together" hmmmmm????? Freudian slip ????

Cheers, bogdan

Old November 17th 07, 01:41 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Thor Lancelot Simon

In article ,
Robert Chin wrote:

A water bath doesn't work for me because of the lack of workspace. Plus,
I'm using those big HP plastic tanks for 4x5 film. Do you have any other
formulas that would work?

Oof. I wouldn't use the HP plastic tank for 4x5 film, except as a last
resort. There are other systems that are almost as compact and which will
give far more even and consistent results without the need for very long
development times. For example, you could hand-agitate a small Jobo tank
with the 2509N sheet film reel.

Though Kodak no longer recommends it, I find Xtol diluted 1:2 is useful
for longer development times. If you have very fresh developer and
ensure you have enough concentrate in the tank for the total number of
sheets it should work well. Paul Butzi's web site has some times which
have worked well for me.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon

"The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to
be abandoned or transcended, there is no problem." - Noam Chomsky
Old December 30th 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.equipment.large-format
John[_12_]

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 15:15:25 -0500, "Robert Chin"
wrote:

"Lawrence Akutagawa" wrote in message
.. .

If ambient temperature is a concern, use a water bath of 68 degrees in
which you sit your loaded tank between agitation cycles.

A water bath doesn't work for me because of the lack of workspace. Plus,
I'm using those big HP plastic tanks for 4x5 film. Do you have any other
formulas that would work?

Mix up some D-23 and dilute 1:2 for 14 minutes at 70F. Works in my HP
CombiPlan.

JD
Old January 2nd 08, 02:21 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Robert Chin

"John" wrote in message

Mix up some D-23 and dilute 1:2 for 14 minutes at 70F. Works in my HP
CombiPlan.

Wow...This is great info. I did some reading on D-23 and it seems like just
the ticket.

Do you have anymore info or can you recommend a place to get more
information? I'd be interested in time / temperature chart and variations
of mixtures that will allow me to have development times in the neighborhood
of 14-15 minutes at about 76F.

I've already ordered the stuff to make D-23 and plan to experiment with it
shortly.

Old January 2nd 08, 02:48 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.equipment.large-format
John[_12_]

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 09:21:47 -0500, "Robert Chin"
wrote:

"John" wrote in message
.. .

Mix up some D-23 and dilute 1:2 for 14 minutes at 70F. Works in my HP
CombiPlan.

Wow...This is great info. I did some reading on D-23 and it seems like just
the ticket.

Do you have anymore info or can you recommend a place to get more
information? I'd be interested in time / temperature chart and variations
of mixtures that will allow me to have development times in the neighborhood
of 14-15 minutes at about 76F.

I've already ordered the stuff to make D-23 and plan to experiment with it
shortly.

It's a decent mix. And 76F is about the temp of the tap water here in
TN in the summertime. Try 1:3 at 76 for 15 minutes.

JD
Old January 3rd 08, 03:02 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.equipment.large-format
____

In article ,
John wrote:

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 09:21:47 -0500, "Robert Chin"
wrote:

"John" wrote in message
.. .

Mix up some D-23 and dilute 1:2 for 14 minutes at 70F. Works in my HP
CombiPlan.

Wow...This is great info. I did some reading on D-23 and it seems like just
the ticket.

Do you have anymore info or can you recommend a place to get more
information? I'd be interested in time / temperature chart and variations
of mixtures that will allow me to have development times in the neighborhood
of 14-15 minutes at about 76F.

I've already ordered the stuff to make D-23 and plan to experiment with it
shortly.

It's a decent mix. And 76F is about the temp of the tap water here in
TN in the summertime. Try 1:3 at 76 for 15 minutes.

JD

Yep I think D23 does pretty good as well. After trying it upon your
suggestion I would say its my second next favorite- PMK being my
firstest.

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.