What is available for WA for 8x10

Old July 10th 04, 07:18 PM
Vladamir30

Default What is available for WA for 8x10

Somebody wrote:
In my infinite quest for infinite ways to spend money on a hobby,
I now need to know what is available for WA for a 8x10 format
camera.

Would you be happy spending money but not a whole lot of money? If so, you
might consider the Wollensak 159mm WA Series IIIA F9.5 lens (there's also an
F12 version that others say works well but F12 is a very small maximum
aperture for a wide angle lens and I'd be a little concerned about viewing
the image on the ground glass). It's a very nice small, light, and
inexpensive (about $200-$300 on e bay) wide angle lens for 8x10. It's the
approximate eqivalent of an 80mm lens for 4x5 and of a 24mm lens for 35mm .
This lens shows up on e bay quite often. I've had two, one is a Raptar which
means it's single coated, the other was a Velostigmat which means it's
uncoated. I don't know about "lots of coverage" but I've never run out of
coverage with mine and I do some architectural work.

Another somewhat narrower but still moderate wide angle lens for 8x10 that's
also small, light, and relatively inexpensive is the 210mm G Claron. This is
an F9 lens and it's single coated. Schneider discontinued the G Claron line
a few years ago but the 210 is plentiful on e bay in the $300 range as I
recall. It's the equivalent of a 105mm lens for 4x5 and the approximate
equivalent of a 35mm lens in 35mm. They usually come in Copal shutters and
are generally newer than the Wollensak. The specs would indicate that this
lens won't cover 8x10 but it does and then some when stopped down to F16 and
the coverage continues to increase as you stop down further. I used mine for
architecture and don't recall running out of coverage.

Most wide angle lenses for 8x10 are big, heavy, and expensive. These are two
that aren't.