Lens Suggestion for Italy Trip

Old September 4th 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Steven Wandy

Default Lens Suggestion for Italy Trip

My wife and I are going on a tour of Italy for two weeks !!!
I have the Olympus E330 with these lenses: 11-22, 14-54, 18-180,
40-150 and the 1.4TC. Our last long vacation was the Canadian Rockies
and the 11-22 was the most useful. I realize that most of the places
we will be visiting are urban areas - not large vista like the
Rockies. I would like to limit myself to only one or two lenses. Any
suggestions from people who have been there?
Thanks,
Steve
Old September 4th 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
bmoag

Do you want to have to change lenses frequently or as little as possible?
Do you like carrying alot of stuff you may never use everywhere you go?
Is your wife indulgent when you say for the tenth time that day that you
have to stop, unload your backpack, change lenses and reload your backpack?
Do you want to spend a significant part of what may be a once in a lifetime
trip doing that?

Old September 4th 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Steven Wandy

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 15:45:55 GMT, "bmoag" wrote:

Do you want to have to change lenses frequently or as little as possible?
Do you like carrying alot of stuff you may never use everywhere you go?
Is your wife indulgent when you say for the tenth time that day that you
have to stop, unload your backpack, change lenses and reload your backpack?
Do you want to spend a significant part of what may be a once in a lifetime
trip doing that?

No to a lot of changing, that's why I want to limit myself to one (or
a maximum of 2) lenses.
Old September 4th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ben Brugman

Depending on what you have, but for Italy I would like to have
an extreme wide angle. (10-20 or 12-22) (For a 1.5/1.6 crop DSLR).
And I would like to have 1 or 2 lenses covering from 18 to 200.
(or a 18-70 and a 70-300).
The extreme wide angle does not come combined with a general
zoom, so you have to cary at least two lenses, and the extreme
wide angle is large and heavy.

Don't like the backpack solution on shoots or holidays, although
have used a camerabag (only camera and lens) and another lens
in it's tube in a backpack. But a handy camerabag on your side
which holds camera and both lenses, where either lens can be
mounted is is nice solution.

Yes I have spend a significant part of my once in a lifetime trips
taking pictures. But look at the land, buildings, people for foto
oppertunities, do not look at your display for the oppertunities
allready in your camera. (Don't spent time admiring your pictures,
doe spent time admiring real life).
I always did this, but that was easy with a film camera.

ben

"bmoag" schreef in bericht
et...

Old September 4th 06, 11:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Steven Wandy wrote:

My wife and I are going on a tour of Italy for two weeks !!!
I have the Olympus E330 with these lenses: 11-22, 14-54, 18-180,
40-150 and the 1.4TC. Our last long vacation was the Canadian Rockies
and the 11-22 was the most useful. I realize that most of the places
we will be visiting are urban areas - not large vista like the
Rockies. I would like to limit myself to only one or two lenses. Any
suggestions from people who have been there?
Thanks,
Steve

I've been to Italy numerous times, and will continue to go there
on future trips. I usually carry one lens: 28-135 IS (but then I
haven't gone there for wildlife, mainly the antiquities). I sometimes
throw in a 24mm, but used it more in film days. With a 1.6 crop
digital, I simply take multiple frames when I want a wider
field of view, then stitch them together later (check out
PTGui.com). You might have trouble entering some museums
with a backpack, and you may need to check it. Some museums
will also not allow photography.

Roger