Scott Kelby on the D3

Old September 22nd 07, 03:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Toby

Default Scott Kelby on the D3

Wolfie? Korbie? Any of you Canon guys out there?

Just wanted to pull your chain. Here is a quote from Photoshop guru Scott
Kelby on the D3:

"Although I didn$B!G(Bt get a chance to shoot with the Nikon D3 during the
morning shoot, I spent hours with it tonight at our dusk shoot, and I have
to say; not only does it live up to it$B!G(Bs hype, I$B!G(Bd have to say it actually
exceeds it. There are a lot of things to love about the D3, but the lack of
noise is far beyond what I had ever imagined (and I had heard stories of
people raving about the low noise, but you$B!G(Bve really got to see it in
person to believe it).

I haven$B!G(Bt done any lab research on this, just some field shooting yesterday
and today, but when I look at images shot at 1600 ISO on the D3, they look
like images taken on my D2x at 400 ISO. You just can$B!G(Bt believe what you$B!G(Bre
seeing. Bill did a demo for the class last night, and even showed images
shot at 6400 ISO and there were literally gasps in the room at the low
levels of noise. You$B!G(Bve gotta understand; this isn$B!G(Bt just an improvement
in the noise and detail?this is way beyond that. Without sounding corny
(though it still will), this is like a new dawn in the digital camera era,
and now I can see where noise will soon be a non-issue. I was fully
expecting to be impressed with the D3$B!G(Bs low noise, but I honestly wasn$B!G(Bt
prepared for this. I was blown away. We all were.

Some other things I quickly fell in love with was (of course), the huge 3$B!m(B
LCD panel, which is the crispest and brightest I$B!G(Bve never seen (even the
menus looked great), and the full frame View Finder is just fantastic.
During the day I kept uncovering new features, and everybody was ooohh and
ahhhing over it, and the more I shot it, the more I fell in love. It$B!G(Bs got
more slick, well-thought out features, than you can imagine, and I know I$B!G(Bm
gushing, but$B!D(B.I$B!G(Bm just gushing!!! Bravo to Nikon for making a camera that
is just a joy to shoot (the feel of the shutter is amazing), that is smart
(it holds two memory cards at once; and has a double battery charger as
well), and takes some amazingly sharp, crisp, low noise photos.

As for the rest fo the day, really?who cares?I was playing with a D3!!!!
Actually, we had a really great day; I$B!G(Bve met some just wonderful people,
and we$B!G(Bve had a blast getting to know each other, learning, shooting, and
sitting around a roaring fire tonight at the Lodge. Life is good.
Hopefully I$B!G(Bll be able to post some D3 images soon (there$B!G(Bs no way to
decode the Raw photos yet, since it hasn$B!G(Bt been released yet, so I shot Raw
+ JPEG and I got a quick glance at a few of my JPEGs, and the quality is
just off the charts)."

It will be interesting in November...

Toby

Old September 22nd 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Toby

Default Scott Kelby on the D3--correct formatting

Sorry, here it is correctly formatted:

"Although I didn't get a chance to shoot with the Nikon D3 during the
morning shoot, I spent hours with it tonight at our dusk shoot, and I have
to say; not only does it live up to it's hype, I'd have to say it actually
exceeds it. There are a lot of things to love about the D3, but the lack of
noise is far beyond what I had ever imagined (and I had heard stories of
people raving about the low noise, but you've really got to see it in
person to believe it).

I haven't done any lab research on this, just some field shooting yesterday
and today, but when I look at images shot at 1600 ISO on the D3, they look
like images taken on my D2x at 400 ISO. You just can't believe what you're
seeing. Bill did a demo for the class last night, and even showed images
shot at 6400 ISO and there were literally gasps in the room at the low
levels of noise. You've gotta understand; this isn't just an improvement
in the noise and detail: this is way beyond that. Without sounding corny
(though it still will), this is like a new dawn in the digital camera era,
and now I can see where noise will soon be a non-issue. I was fully
expecting to be impressed with the D3's low noise, but I honestly wasn't
prepared for this. I was blown away. We all were.

Some other things I quickly fell in love with was (of course), the huge 3"
LCD panel, which is the crispest and brightest I've never seen (even the
menus looked great), and the full frame View Finder is just fantastic.
During the day I kept uncovering new features, and everybody was ooohh and
ahhhing over it, and the more I shot it, the more I fell in love. It's got
more slick, well-thought out features, than you can imagine, and I know I'm
gushing, but....I'm just gushing!!! Bravo to Nikon for making a camera that
is just a joy to shoot (the feel of the shutter is amazing), that is smart
(it holds two memory cards at once; and has a double battery charger as
well), and takes some amazingly sharp, crisp, low noise photos.

As for the rest fo the day, really--who cares--I was playing with a D3!!!!
Actually, we had a really great day; I've met some just wonderful people,
and we've had a blast getting to know each other, learning, shooting, and
sitting around a roaring fire tonight at the Lodge. Life is good.

Hopefully I'll be able to post some D3 images soon (there's no way to
decode the Raw photos yet, since it hasn't been released yet, so I shot Raw
+ JPEG and I got a quick glance at a few of my JPEGs, and the quality is
just off the charts)."

His blog is he

http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/2007/archives/571

Toby

Old September 22nd 07, 05:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

On 2007-09-22 07:13:02 -0700, "Toby" said:

Wolfie? Korbie? Any of you Canon guys out there?

Just wanted to pull your chain. Here is a quote from Photoshop guru Scott
Kelby on the D3:

I think even the Canon guys are hoping the D3 is as good as it appears
to be. Gives Canon something to shoot for in their next release. I
think we all just want digital cameras to keep getting better and
better.

I will probably not want a D3, though. I shoot scenery and portraits,
not fast action sports. Give me something with a few more pixels.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old September 22nd 07, 08:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

On 2007-09-22 07:13:02 -0700, "Toby" said:

Wolfie? Korbie? Any of you Canon guys out there?

Just wanted to pull your chain. Here is a quote from Photoshop guru Scott
Kelby on the D3:

I think even the Canon guys are hoping the D3 is as good as it appears
to be. Gives Canon something to shoot for in their next release. I think
we all just want digital cameras to keep getting better and better.

I will probably not want a D3, though. I shoot scenery and portraits,
not fast action sports. Give me something with a few more pixels.

I'd like to use it for a bit, but Scott Kelby bluster doesn't impress
me. And, yes, at least one Canon guy is rooting for Nikon.

--
John McWilliams
Old September 23rd 07, 04:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

On 2007-09-22 13:24:28 -0700, Rita Ä Berkowitz ritaberk2O04 @aol.com said:

C J Campbell wrote:

I think even the Canon guys are hoping the D3 is as good as it appears
to be. Gives Canon something to shoot for in their next release. I
think we all just want digital cameras to keep getting better and
better.

I think that we are going to see a massive flooding of 5D's and adapter
rings on the used market when the D3 hits the streets.

I will probably not want a D3, though. I shoot scenery and portraits,
not fast action sports. Give me something with a few more pixels.

If you are shooting with a D2xs now you will be doing yourself a great
disservice by not getting the D3. Just a note, used D2xs bodies are selling
for under $2k.

Don't I know it. I do not have a D2xs, though. However, I am going to
run the D200 until it is dry. The D3x (or whatever it will be called)
will be out by then. I don't see much point to the D300. For now, my
budget is going toward lenses.

Old September 23rd 07, 05:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

On 2007-09-22 07:13:02 -0700, "Toby" said:

Wolfie? Korbie? Any of you Canon guys out there?

Just wanted to pull your chain. Here is a quote from Photoshop guru
Scott
Kelby on the D3:

I think even the Canon guys are hoping the D3 is as good as it appears
to be. Gives Canon something to shoot for in their next release. I
think we all just want digital cameras to keep getting better and better.

I will probably not want a D3, though. I shoot scenery and portraits,
not fast action sports. Give me something with a few more pixels.

I'd like to use it for a bit, but Scott Kelby bluster doesn't impress
me. And, yes, at least one Canon guy is rooting for Nikon.

I am. Also Sony and Pentax. Competition is great.
I think a great move by Nikon is the supertelephoto
VR lenses. That will help stop the pro switch from
nikon to canon. Plus D3 class cameras (regardless of hype)
will make nikon similar to/better than Canon. I hope the hype is
true, as that should mean a breakthrough in QE, which canon/sony/
pentax etc will have to match to stay competitive.

I wish canon would come out with a 100-400 f/4 L IS
(or even 200-400) with the sharpness of the Nikon equivalent
lens. Canon's current 100-400 isn't good enough (I have one).
Hey Canon, you reading?

Roger
Old September 23rd 07, 06:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ray Fischer

Toby wrote:
Wolfie? Korbie? Any of you Canon guys out there?

Just wanted to pull your chain. Here is a quote from Photoshop guru Scott
Kelby on the D3:

Don't care.

I haven't done any lab research on this, just some field shooting yesterday

And that's why I don't care.

--
Ray Fischer

Old September 24th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Ray Fischer wrote:

Don't care.

And that's why I don't care.

Then just don't answer instead of polluting the NG with non-replies.
eg: We don't care that you don't care.
Old September 24th 07, 06:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
just bob

"Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" wrote in
message ...
C J Campbell wrote:
On 2007-09-22 07:13:02 -0700, "Toby" said:

[...]

Silly me I assumed Nikon had VR is their big primes already. No big deal, I
hardly ever hand hold a big prime to shoot somethign standing still.

I wish canon would come out with a 100-400 f/4 L IS
(or even 200-400) with the sharpness of the Nikon equivalent
lens. Canon's current 100-400 isn't good enough (I have one).
Hey Canon, you reading?

Aas a Canon shooter I am very interested to try the D3 with the 200-400 as
it looks like a great combo for sports.

Roger

Old September 24th 07, 06:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
just bob

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
Ray Fischer wrote:

Don't care.

And that's why I don't care.

Then just don't answer instead of polluting the NG with non-replies. eg:
We don't care that you don't care.

Hey, some people like lab test and some like real world consensus of
photographers. no sweat.