Screwed by Canon Rebate

Old February 18th 07, 02:35 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace
The Real Bev

Default Screwed by Canon Rebate

Talker wrote:

Everywhere you shop, they offer rebates, so it's not uncommon to
file 3 or 4 rebates a week, so that after three months, (the normal
waiting period to receive a rebate), you'd have 30-40 rebates that you
are waiting for. How ridiculous is that?
Outlaw rebates and bring back the good old fashioned sale.
THAT'S what consumers want!

What makes you think that the government gives half a **** about what
consumers want? Remember, sales tax gets charged on the pre-rebate price --
if rebates are outlawed, government loses money. You think they'll let that
happen? HAH!

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old February 18th 07, 02:37 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace
jeremy

"The Real Bev" wrote in message
Talker wrote:

Everywhere you shop, they offer rebates, so it's not uncommon to
file 3 or 4 rebates a week, so that after three months, (the normal
waiting period to receive a rebate), you'd have 30-40 rebates that you
are waiting for. How ridiculous is that?
Outlaw rebates and bring back the good old fashioned sale.
THAT'S what consumers want!

What makes you think that the government gives half a **** about what
consumers want? Remember, sales tax gets charged on the pre-rebate
price --
if rebates are outlawed, government loses money. You think they'll let
that happen? HAH!

--
Cheers,
Bev
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooo
If it weren't for pain, we wouldn't have any fun at all.

Just avoid buying under those circumstances, whenever possible, and be sure
to TELL the merchant why they are losing the sale!

Old February 18th 07, 03:51 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace
The Real Bev

jeremy wrote:

"The Real Bev" wrote:
Talker wrote:

Everywhere you shop, they offer rebates, so it's not uncommon to file
3 or 4 rebates a week, so that after three months, (the normal
waiting period to receive a rebate), you'd have 30-40 rebates that
you are waiting for. How ridiculous is that? Outlaw rebates and
bring back the good old fashioned sale. THAT'S what consumers want!

What makes you think that the government gives half a **** about what
consumers want? Remember, sales tax gets charged on the pre-rebate
price -- if rebates are outlawed, government loses money. You think
they'll let that happen? HAH!

Just avoid buying under those circumstances, whenever possible, and be
sure to TELL the merchant why they are losing the sale!

Why would I go to CompUSA, say, just to tell the manager that I'm not going
to buy the advertised special that brought me to the store just because it
offers a rebate which I should have known?

I've had minimal problems with rebates. I figure that the people who are
too dumb to fill in the forms properly are paying me to do it correctly --
always nice when stupidity carries its own punishment.

--
Cheers, Bev
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old February 18th 07, 05:18 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace
jeremy

"The Real Bev" wrote in message

Why would I go to CompUSA, say, just to tell the manager that I'm not
going
to buy the advertised special that brought me to the store just because it
offers a rebate which I should have known?

I've had minimal problems with rebates. I figure that the people who are
too dumb to fill in the forms properly are paying me to do it correctly --
always nice when stupidity carries its own punishment.

I would not go to a store if I knew they imposed rebates, but if I were in
one, and I declined a purchase because of a required rebate, I'd tell them
why.

Your comment about people being "too dumb" to file forms properly is
insulting and inaccurate. Many of us have experienced not getting rebates
that were properly filed.

I choose not to go through the aggravation of sending in copies of receipts
and proofs-of-purchase, just to get back money that I should not have had to
part with in the first place. Perhaps you have more time to fool with that
nonsense. Not I.

Old February 18th 07, 05:47 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace
Michael Black

"jeremy" ) writes:
"The Real Bev" wrote in message

Why would I go to CompUSA, say, just to tell the manager that I'm not
going
to buy the advertised special that brought me to the store just because it
offers a rebate which I should have known?

I've had minimal problems with rebates. I figure that the people who are
too dumb to fill in the forms properly are paying me to do it correctly --
always nice when stupidity carries its own punishment.

I would not go to a store if I knew they imposed rebates, but if I were in
one, and I declined a purchase because of a required rebate, I'd tell them
why.

Nobody imposes rebates on the consumer, nobody requires that you get
the rebate.

It's an optional thing, that you can decide to pursue if you want to
save some money.

And if you don't, then you get the item at the regular price.

You should be buying the item, if it was something you intended to buy,
and then make an issue of how you refuse to do the rebate. Thus you
have skipped the optional rebate process, yet made it clear that
you aren't one of the people who simply can't be bothered to do rebates.

It's kind of like spoiling a ballot in an election. Usually they don't
get counted, so you might as well stay home. But if you spoil the ballot,
at least it shows that you aren't too lazy to go and vote.

I choose not to go through the aggravation of sending in copies of receipts
and proofs-of-purchase, just to get back money that I should not have had to
part with in the first place. Perhaps you have more time to fool with that
nonsense. Not I.

But the money isn't your's until you do the rebate. They haven't offered
the item on sale, they have offered you the optional rebate. If you take
them up on it, then you get a lower price. If you don't, then you lose
that money you would have gotten in a rebate.

It's only by your rules that you think it's money you shouldn't have had
to part with in the first place. IN reality, it's money you would have
to part with, because the cost of the item would remain the same. It's
only by doing the optional rebate that you get a lower price.

Michael

Old February 18th 07, 06:44 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace
The Real Bev

jeremy wrote:

"The Real Bev" wrote:

Why would I go to CompUSA, say, just to tell the manager that I'm not
going to buy the advertised special that brought me to the store just
because it offers a rebate which I should have known?

I've had minimal problems with rebates. I figure that the people who
are too dumb to fill in the forms properly are paying me to do it
correctly -- always nice when stupidity carries its own punishment.

I would not go to a store if I knew they imposed rebates, but if I were
in one, and I declined a purchase because of a required rebate, I'd tell
them why.

I don't shop unless I know what I'm shopping for and how much it costs
before and/or after any rebate. You just go to a store expecting to buy
something but not knowing what the price might be?

Your comment about people being "too dumb" to file forms properly is
insulting and inaccurate. Many of us have experienced not getting
rebates that were properly filed.

Many people ARE too dumb to file forms properly. You may not be. I only
know that I've had very little trouble with rebates over the decade(s) I've
been dealing with them. Yeah, they're a nuisance, but nobody else is going
to pay me $50-$100/hour.

I choose not to go through the aggravation of sending in copies of
receipts and proofs-of-purchase, just to get back money that I should not
have had to part with in the first place. Perhaps you have more time to
fool with that nonsense. Not I.

There are definite advantages to being retired. Perhaps taking advantage of
rebates is one reason I was able to retire early.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Don't you wish there were a knob on the TV to turn up the
Old February 18th 07, 10:13 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace
measekite

The Real Bev wrote:
jeremy wrote:

"The Real Bev" wrote:

[...]

I guess you do not make very much money.

Old February 18th 07, 05:45 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace
TJ

The Real Bev wrote:
jeremy wrote:

"The Real Bev" wrote:

[...]

I'm with you, Bev. I'm self-employed, and I don't get paid that kind of
money, either. I bought a second hard drive for my computer a couple of
years ago. CompUSA sold it to me on sale online for $80, as I remember.
I was offered a deal whereby if I sent them my name and address (so they
knew where to send the check - understandable), a copy of my receipt (to
prove I bought the drive during the offer, entirely understandable), and
a UPC code off the box (to prove I bought the model the deal was offered
on, again understandable), they'd send me a check for $50 - after a
six-week delay for processing. So I spent 2-3 minutes filling out a form
with my name and address, and another 5 minutes or less cutting the UPC
code from the box, and maybe another minute making a copy of my receipt.
Another 5 minutes addressing a 1-cent envelope, stuffing it, and
affixing a 37-cent stamp, and maybe another walking with it to my
mailbox. 15 minutes of my leisure time and 38 cents-worth of materials
for a $50 return. By my calculations, that works out to $198.48/hour -
*for my leisure time.* It cut into my TV-watching time a bit, but it was
well worth it, IMHO.

I didn't *have* to take the deal. I could have paid the full sale price
and watched that 15 minutes of TV, while ranting on the newsgroups about
the unfairness of rebate "scams." But if you ask me, I'd have been
pretty stupid to do so.

I've only had one rebate refused, and another that I got only after
inquiring about its lateness. None of the other 100 or so have been a
problem. But then, I take the time to read the requirements before
making the purchase, to be sure I can follow them.

TJ

Old February 18th 07, 07:53 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace
measekite

TJ wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:
jeremy wrote:

"The Real Bev" wrote:

[...]

One knows the value of their data
CompUSA sold it to me on sale online for $80,

I bought a new one for $100.00
[...]

Not if your time is not worth anything. But you know so then you go
ahead and spend your make believe savings on refilling an ink cart.

Old February 18th 07, 10:15 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace
TJ

measekite wrote:

TJ wrote:

I'm with you, Bev. I'm self-employed, and I don't get paid that kind
of money, either. I bought a second hard drive for my computer a
couple of years ago.

One knows the value of their data
CompUSA sold it to me on sale online for $80,

I bought a new one for $100.00

Goody for you. This one was new, too. Rebates aren't offered on used
merchandise.

[...]

I don't understand that statement. It *wasn't* worth $200 if my time
isn't worth anything, or the $200 wasn't well worth it if my time isn't
worth anything? It would seem to me that if I consider my time to be
worth nothing normally, $200/hour would be even *more* valuable to me.

If someone is paying you over $200/hour during your leisure time to
watch TV, more power to you. It explains a lot about your posts. It's
not happening with me, I can tell you that. I work hard for every dollar
I get. If I can get $50 for 15 minutes of little effort, and it's legal,