Sony Cybershot DSC-W1... Bad Camera...Bad Customer Service by Sony... Read on...

Old June 23rd 04, 11:41 PM
David H. Lipman

Default Sony Cybershot DSC-W1... Bad Camera...Bad Customer Service by Sony... Read on...

William:

12 volts can go into the regulator but, only 12 volts will come out of the 3 pin active
device.

Other chips to use; National Semiconductor LM25xx family -
http://www.national.com/parametric/0,1850,1758,00.html

Full schematic of a 12v, low voltage, regulated power supply:
http://www.drbob.net/project/powersu...d/default.html

Voltage regulation concept:
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_6/chpt_5/7.html

Dave

Old June 24th 04, 12:29 AM
William Graham

"David H. Lipman" wrote in message
William:

regulator. More than
12 volts can go into the regulator but, only 12 volts will come out of the

3 pin active
device.

Other chips to use; National Semiconductor LM25xx family -
http://www.national.com/parametric/0,1850,1758,00.html

Full schematic of a 12v, low voltage, regulated power supply:
http://www.drbob.net/project/powersu...d/default.html

Voltage regulation concept:
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_6/chpt_5/7.html

Dave

Thanks, Dave. - I may just try building one of these. I am using gell-cell 2
volt cells that I found on line pretty cheap, but I would prefer a regular
12 volt gell cell because they are very common, and I can plug them into my
car cigarette lighter socket and recharge them while I am driving around. I
have to charge my home-made pack with a 6 volt wall wart supply that really
puts out 10.65 volts under no load. This works, but it takes several days to
recharge the 10.5 volt pack back up if it is nearly discharged.....12 volt
gell-cells are really neat for this application because they come in all
sizes. The ones used for bicycle lights are a nice size......

Old June 24th 04, 03:28 PM
Alan Browne

Dave wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 09:54:54 -0400, Alan Browne
somehow managed to impart:

David H. Lipman wrote:

Don't top post

Good points. I found the same lack of quality support with Sony Vaio laptops. Therefore I
won't buy Sony.

As for using Lithium AA's in the camera. There is absolutely NO reason why you should not
be able to use them. Electrically they are the same as any other AA batteries, they just
last longer. I buy mine from Sears at ~$10.00 for 4 x AA batteries (better price than Radio
Shack).

When the camera manufacturer puts in a warning:
"AA Lithium batteries cannot be used" it is there for a good reason.

Yes, but what?

No idea. Unfortunately they don't explain why. The body 123
batteries I use are lithium, but the vertical grip instructions
say "thou shalt not" without explanation as to why. A
possibility is that the instructions were generated at about the
time lithiums came on the market, perhaps with some
characteristic that the engineers at Minolta were wary of, hence
the warning ... but no "why". Possibly it can be used with
lithiums without trouble at all...

--
--e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

Old June 24th 04, 03:39 PM
pjp

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
news

David H. Lipman wrote:

[...]

I know every time I've used a set of my Lithiums to power up a flashlight,
the bulb doesn't last very long (e.g. minutes at most). Therefore I'd be
cautious of using them in anything that says not to.

Old June 24th 04, 06:40 PM
Alan Browne

pjp wrote:

No idea. Unfortunately they don't explain why. The body 123
batteries I use are lithium, but the vertical grip instructions
say "thou shalt not" without explanation as to why. A
possibility is that the instructions were generated at about the
time lithiums came on the market, perhaps with some
characteristic that the engineers at Minolta were wary of, hence
the warning ... but no "why". Possibly it can be used with
lithiums without trouble at all...

--
--e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

I know every time I've used a set of my Lithiums to power up a flashlight,
the bulb doesn't last very long (e.g. minutes at most). Therefore I'd be
cautious of using them in anything that says not to.

Really? Wow. Any web references you can point me to? I'm not
about to 'test' the batteries in the grip (US$200 or so) in any case.

Cheers,
Alan

--
--e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

Old June 24th 04, 09:05 PM
unavailable

Energizer silver/blue lithium batteries are designed for digital cameras
specifically. I don't think they intended to use them in flashlights.

Old June 24th 04, 10:08 PM
David H. Lipman

Alkaline batteries voltage drop as a function. Therefore the filament receives a lower
voltage as a function of time and burns less hot as a function of time.

Lithium batteries provide a constant voltage as a function of time until its life has been
spent then its voltage drops off rapidly to zero. Therefore the filament receives a
constant voltage as a function of time and burns hot consistently over the life span of the
battery thus reducing the life span of the bulb.

Cameras, CD players, DVD players or other electronic devices are active devices as opposed
to bulbs which are passive device which are electrical not electronic devices. Therefore
the two, cameras and flashlights, can NOT be compared equally.

Dave

link.net...

Old June 24th 04, 10:18 PM
David H. Lipman

Oooops...

I meant to state... "Alkaline batteries voltage drop as a function of time."

Dave

Old June 25th 04, 06:29 AM
William Graham

"pjp" wrote in message
I know every time I've used a set of my Lithiums to power up a flashlight,
the bulb doesn't last very long (e.g. minutes at most). Therefore I'd be
cautious of using them in anything that says not to.

If the voltage is correct for the bulb, the battery type can't hurt it. I
suggest you look up Ohm's law, and take a few minutes to learn some basic
electrical theory.....Believe me, it should only take an hour or less, and
the information will be invaluable to you, regardless of what you choose for
your profession.......

Old June 25th 04, 09:30 AM
Ron Hunter

William Graham wrote:

"pjp" wrote in message

I know every time I've used a set of my Lithiums to power up a flashlight,
the bulb doesn't last very long (e.g. minutes at most). Therefore I'd be
cautious of using them in anything that says not to.

If the voltage is correct for the bulb, the battery type can't hurt it. I
suggest you look up Ohm's law, and take a few minutes to learn some basic
electrical theory.....Believe me, it should only take an hour or less, and
the information will be invaluable to you, regardless of what you choose for
your profession.......

WRONG!
Lithium batteries are capable of delivering very high currents. If a
flashlight is designed for carbon/zinc or alkaline batteries, the
designers are probably counting on the internal resistance of the
batteries to limit the current through the bulb. Lithiums could easily
burn out the bulb. But, it's your flashlight, try it out. Then tell us
how it affects bulb life.