Lens board illuminator

Old February 26th 04, 06:17 AM
drhowarddrfinedrhoward

Default Lens board illuminator

I found a used Beseler 45M enlarger. Now I'm looking for a lens board for
it. I noticed some lens boards come with an "illuminator". What is that
for and how is it used?

Old February 26th 04, 06:32 AM
David Nebenzahl

On 2/25/2004 10:17 PM drhowarddrfinedrhoward spake thus:

I found a used Beseler 45M enlarger. Now I'm looking for a lens board for
it. I noticed some lens boards come with an "illuminator". What is that
for and how is it used?

It's a little plastic piece that goes through the board, basically a light
pipe that shines light (from behind the lens) on the aperture scale so you can
see it.

--
It's fun to demonize the neo-cons and rejoice in their discomfiture, but
don't make the mistake of thinking US foreign policy was set by Norman

- Alexander Cockburn, _CounterPunch_
(http://www.counterpunch.org), 9/17/03

Old February 26th 04, 03:10 PM
drhowarddrfinedrhoward

Thanks guys.

Is the light a concern when doing color development?

Old February 26th 04, 04:44 PM
Scott Schuckert

In article m,
drhowarddrfinedrhoward wrote:

Is the light a concern when doing color development?

I did color enlarging with the illuminated lensboards for years without
issues; never thought about it until now. Still, theoretically you
MIGHT get a little scatter - not that the illumination was all that
useful anyway, at least with my eyes. I always counted clicks.
Old February 26th 04, 05:12 PM
Nick Zentena

drhowarddrfinedrhoward wrote:
Thanks guys.

Is the light a concern when doing color development?

Some of my lensboards have it. They were all bought used and in every case
the thing was blocked up one way or the other so it doesn't work. So
somebody decided it wasn't worth having.

I doubt the light would effect colour too much. Some of the newer
lenses light up the aperture.

Nick
Old February 26th 04, 06:26 PM
Jean-David Beyer

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 2/25/2004 10:17 PM drhowarddrfinedrhoward spake thus:

I found a used Beseler 45M enlarger. Now I'm looking for a lens board
for
it. I noticed some lens boards come with an "illuminator". What is that
for and how is it used?

It's a little plastic piece that goes through the board, basically a
light pipe that shines light (from behind the lens) on the aperture
scale so you can see it.

Except they are never bright enough to see the scale in the dark.

So I just count clicks. One of my lenses permits me to turn off the
click-stops, but I do not do that.

/V\ Registered Machine 73926.
^^-^^ 1:25pm up 51 days, 46 min, 2 users, load average: 2.07, 2.12, 2.00

Old February 26th 04, 06:41 PM
David Nebenzahl

On 2/26/2004 10:26 AM Jean-David Beyer spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 2/25/2004 10:17 PM drhowarddrfinedrhoward spake thus:

I found a used Beseler 45M enlarger. Now I'm looking for a lens board
for it. I noticed some lens boards come with an "illuminator". What is that
for and how is it used?

It's a little plastic piece that goes through the board, basically a
light pipe that shines light (from behind the lens) on the aperture
scale so you can see it.

Except they are never bright enough to see the scale in the dark.

So I just count clicks. One of my lenses permits me to turn off the
click-stops, but I do not do that.

The best solution is Rodenstock's "pre-set" aperture lock; set it, and one
simple twist and you're at your selected stop. Now if only my other lenses had
that feature ...

Old February 26th 04, 07:23 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Jean-David Beyer" wrote

Beseler lens boards come with an "illuminator".

Except they are never bright enough to see the scale in the dark.

Agreed. Probably has to do with fogging color paper if they were
brighter.

But then, most modern lenses have illuminated f-stops making the
Beseler illuminator redundant.

So I just count clicks.

That I don't do, what with two turrets worth of lenses the internal
dialog goes as: "Lets see, the 135 is an f4, or is it an f5.6,
and are the clicks full stop or half stop? They are half
stop on the 105 so ... no that one's a Rodenstock and this
ones a Nikkor ... or is it the other way around. Turn on the
bloody light..."

I like the illuminated f-stop dials on most lenses. On the ones
that aren't illuminated I now use a little homemade red LED penlight.

I invariably have the 'Did I stop the lens down doubts' as my
finger hovers over the timer's 'expose' button.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Old February 26th 04, 09:53 PM
Bob Salomon

In article .net,
"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote:

I invariably have the 'Did I stop the lens down doubts' as my
finger hovers over the timer's 'expose' button.

Modern optics like the Rodagon, Apo-Rodagon, etc. have not only an
illuminated aperture but also a dis-engageable click stop control and a
pre-set aperture which allows you to go directly between open aperture
and the aperture you want to print at. This takes away those doubts.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.