Interesting Leica product announcements today ...

Old May 11th 12, 01:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

Default Interesting Leica product announcements today ...

Bruce wrote,on my timestamp of 11/05/2012 5:50 AM:

1. Leica M Monochrom, with 18 MP black and white full frame sensor. No
need for a Bayer pattern, no AA filter, no interpolation. Low noise
up to ISO 10,000.

Hmmm.... I can see already plans for a Photoshop add-on tool to merge together
three images taken with R,G,B filters. Kinda like a modern autochrome @ 10000.

2. Leica Summicron 50mm f/2 ASPH. The first 50mm Summicron with an
aspherical element. The previous (pre-ASPH) model was one of the
sharpest lenses ever made. This one will be even better.

Yummy! Pity the price...
Old May 11th 12, 03:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Dyer-Bennet

Noons writes:

Bruce wrote,on my timestamp of 11/05/2012 5:50 AM:

1. Leica M Monochrom, with 18 MP black and white full frame sensor. No
need for a Bayer pattern, no AA filter, no interpolation. Low noise
up to ISO 10,000.

Hmmm.... I can see already plans for a Photoshop add-on tool to merge
together three images taken with R,G,B filters. Kinda like a modern
autochrome @ 10000.

It's easy enough to do without any special tool. I did it testing my
theories about what caused certain background effects in the famous
Prokudin-Gorsky photos (http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/); my RGB
merges are at http://dd-b.net/ddbcms/2001/05/composite-color/.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Old May 11th 12, 11:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Trevor[_2_]

"Noons" wrote in message
1. Leica M Monochrom, with 18 MP black and white full frame sensor. No
need for a Bayer pattern, no AA filter, no interpolation. Low noise
up to ISO 10,000.

Hmmm.... I can see already plans for a Photoshop add-on tool to merge
together three images taken with R,G,B filters. Kinda like a modern
autochrome @ 10000.

Leica will be glad if there really are people that stupid, but somehow I
doubt that's the target market!

2. Leica Summicron 50mm f/2 ASPH. The first 50mm Summicron with an
aspherical element. The previous (pre-ASPH) model was one of the
sharpest lenses ever made. This one will be even better.

Yummy! Pity the price...

What did you expect from Leica, Sigma prices?
You really are dreaming!

Trevor.

Old May 11th 12, 11:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Trevor[_2_]

"David Dyer-Bennet" wrote in message
Hmmm.... I can see already plans for a Photoshop add-on tool to merge
together three images taken with R,G,B filters. Kinda like a modern
autochrome @ 10000.

It's easy enough to do without any special tool. I did it testing my
theories about what caused certain background effects in the famous
Prokudin-Gorsky photos (http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/); my RGB
merges are at http://dd-b.net/ddbcms/2001/05/composite-color/.

And I used to do it for special effects 40 years ago, I sure as hell don't
need to do it for normal photo's though.
And I'm even more sure I don't need to buy a Mono Leica to take color
photo's! :-)
Now B&W photography where that 10,000 ISO would be really usable might be
another matter however, but only if Canon or Nikon decided to offer a body
with such a sensor.

Trevor.

Old May 12th 12, 01:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
PeterN

On 5/11/2012 10:44 AM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
writes:

Bruce wrote,on my timestamp of 11/05/2012 5:50 AM:

1. Leica M Monochrom, with 18 MP black and white full frame sensor. No
need for a Bayer pattern, no AA filter, no interpolation. Low noise
up to ISO 10,000.

Hmmm.... I can see already plans for a Photoshop add-on tool to merge
together three images taken with R,G,B filters. Kinda like a modern
autochrome @ 10000.

It's easy enough to do without any special tool. I did it testing my
theories about what caused certain background effects in the famous
Prokudin-Gorsky photos (http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/); my RGB
merges are athttp://dd-b.net/ddbcms/2001/05/composite-color/.

Interesting experiments.

--
Peter
Old May 12th 12, 08:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Trevor[_2_]

"PeterN" wrote in message
1. Leica M Monochrom, with 18 MP black and white full frame sensor. No
need for a Bayer pattern, no AA filter, no interpolation. Low noise
up to ISO 10,000.

Hmmm.... I can see already plans for a Photoshop add-on tool to merge
together three images taken with R,G,B filters. Kinda like a modern
autochrome @ 10000.

It's easy enough to do without any special tool. I did it testing my
theories about what caused certain background effects in the famous
Prokudin-Gorsky photos (http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/); my RGB
merges are athttp://dd-b.net/ddbcms/2001/05/composite-color/.

Interesting experiments.

Why? I'm puzzled that he didn't realise people were doing this over 50 years
ago with multiple exposures on color film using real filters, and the main
aim was to get those colored ripples on water, or rainbow colored clouds
etc. That's the only reason to do it these days too, not try to eliminate
it as David suggests. Obviously Prokudin-Gorsky would have seen this effect
immediately and taken steps to avoid it when he didn't want it.
However if Prokudin-Gorsky used a 3 lens projector, why could he not use a 3
lens camera and take simultaneous images? Are we sure he didn't? The image
of the Nilova Monastery shows no colored ripples on the water or clouds at
all, so either it's been very heavily doctored, or he did take simultaneous
images.

Trevor.

Old May 12th 12, 09:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-05-12 00:58:42 -0700, "Trevor" said:

"PeterN" wrote in message
[...]

It is thought Prokudin-Gorsky probably used a personally customized
versions of the earlier Adolf Miethe camera produced by Bermpohl
Company.

http://www.vintagephoto.tv/mb.shtml
http://sechtl-vosecek.ucw.cz/en/expozice5.html
http://www.vintagephoto.tv/bermpohl_img.shtml
http://www.fototv.com/threecolor_photography

Savageduck

Old May 12th 12, 02:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

Trevor wrote,on my timestamp of 12/05/2012 8:16 AM:

And I'm even more sure I don't need to buy a Mono Leica to take color
photo's! :-)

Fancy that! You bad consumer, you!...

LOL!
Old May 13th 12, 02:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
PeterN

On 5/12/2012 3:58 AM, Trevor wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

As I posted elsewhere, experiments are part of understanding a process.
I used to mix my own developers, not to save money, which I didn't, but
to learn how the different times and chemicals affected the images. see
no reason to trivialize his experiments.

--
Peter
Old May 14th 12, 09:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Trevor[_2_]

"Savageduck" wrote in message
[...]

That camera doesn't take simultaneous images, so the question remains why no
color artifacts are visible in the Prokudin-Gorsky photo's. If they have in
fact been doctored to the extreme, it should have beeen stated what was done
IMO.

Trevor.