More mediocrity than you can shake a stick at

Old April 6th 12, 08:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

Default More mediocrity than you can shake a stick at

On Fri, 6 Apr 2012 09:52:43 -0700 (PDT), RichA wrote:
: http://canada.shop.lomography.com/cameras

A couple of possibilities:
1. That's all they make for film these days.
2. You blundered onto a leftover April Fool's site.

Bob
Old April 6th 12, 10:38 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Andrew Reilly[_2_]

wrote:
: http://canada.shop.lomography.com/cameras

A couple of possibilities:
1. That's all they make for film these days.
2. You blundered onto a leftover April Fool's site.

Bob

Are you joking? Those are all cameras specifically sold for lomography
enthusiasts. They each have features used by people who like this
genre.

Just checked: Flickr has 11882 lomo-related *groups*, and over a million
and a half photos tagged "lomo". So yes, they're fairly popular in
certain circles.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/lomo/interesting/

I think that some of them (photos) look pretty nice, and some of my
friends have taken great photos with them. I suspect that the sense of
achievement that must come with getting any correctly exposed frames at
all must account for some of the appeal.

Cheers,

--
Andrew
Old April 7th 12, 02:36 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-04-06 18:04:28 -0700, tony cooper said:

wrote:
[...]

I recognize that some people like lomography and buy cameras for this
purpose. To me, they look my mistakes in regular photography.

It is not quite my idea of great photography, but I have fun playing
with some of the Lomo effects I have available with my iPhone. The
iPhone usually takes better shots than this, but as you said, some
people like the effect. ;-)
http://db.tt/o8tFegT3

No film was harmed in the production of the above shot.

Savageduck

Old April 7th 12, 07:06 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

Andrew Reilly wrote,on my timestamp of 7/04/2012 7:38 AM:

Just checked: Flickr has 11882 lomo-related *groups*, and over a million
and a half photos tagged "lomo". So yes, they're fairly popular in
certain circles.

C'mon! You know perfectly well "film is dead".
Those numbers cannot possibly reflect any reality.

Old April 7th 12, 02:43 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Fri, 6 Apr 2012 18:36:11 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:
:
:
: wrote:
[...]

I'd never heard of lomography until Tony replied to my comment earlier in this
thread. But I think I'm starting to get it. The stuff we submitted to the SI
"Bad Pictures" mandate a few years ago was (unintentional) lomography!

Bob
Old April 7th 12, 03:24 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 2012-04-06 21:04 , tony cooper wrote:
On 6 Apr 2012 21:38:08 GMT, Andrew

Just checked: Flickr has 11882 lomo-related *groups*, and over a million
and a half photos tagged "lomo". So yes, they're fairly popular in
certain circles.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/lomo/interesting/

I think that some of them (photos) look pretty nice, and some of my
friends have taken great photos with them. I suspect that the sense of
achievement that must come with getting any correctly exposed frames at
all must account for some of the appeal.

Cheers,

I recognize that some people like lomography and buy cameras for this
purpose. To me, they look my mistakes in regular photography.

Some of them look better than many people do with DSLR's. But then
photography is not about the camera.

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.
Old April 7th 12, 04:37 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

:
: wrote:
[...]

There you go!

Lomography is producing the image we work to avoid, but which some,
with deliberately scuzzy cheap equipment, and some via questionable
(but fun) post processing manage to produce.

....and then there are those who seem to produce those shots without any
cheap cameras or deliberate PP. ;-)

Savageduck

Old April 8th 12, 04:58 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

tony cooper wrote,on my timestamp of 7/04/2012 4:30 PM:

Just checked: Flickr has 11882 lomo-related *groups*, and over a million
and a half photos tagged "lomo". So yes, they're fairly popular in
certain circles.

C'mon! You know perfectly well "film is dead".
Those numbers cannot possibly reflect any reality.

Lomography is a film genre, but many people take digital images and
apply lomographic effects to them. This is a digital image taken of
my grandson several years ago, but with a Lomo effect added in
Photoshop with a set of Lomo Effect Actions:

And of course that "proves" all the lomography forums in flickr are from digital
images...
Old April 8th 12, 05:00 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

Ryan McGinnis wrote,on my timestamp of 8/04/2012 1:23 PM:

I'd never heard of lomography until Tony replied to my comment earlier in this
thread. But I think I'm starting to get it. The stuff we submitted to the SI

You need to get out more -- while I'm not a Lomo shooter, it's been a rather
widespread "thing" for almost 20 years now.

What, and be away from the "expertise" of the Usenet?
Never!
Old April 9th 12, 03:56 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

tony cooper wrote,on my timestamp of 8/04/2012 2:11 PM:

Where do you get that? I said it is a film genre, but many people
apply lomographic effects to digital images. I didn't say "all" were
from either medium. I didn't say anything about Flickr since I don't
bother with Flickr.

I dispute your statement that "many people" apply lomographic (WTH does that
word mean?) effects to digital.
You got no proof whatsoever of that, other than wishful thinking. At best, it
is imbecile to use digital for lomography.
And if you like photography, you could do a lot worse than "bother with Flickr":
for example, you could waste time with the inbred crap on the SI?