Advice or recommendations for new p+s camera please.

Old August 14th 10, 08:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
OG

Default Advice or recommendations for new p+s camera please.

"Nick" wrote in message
A good day to all.
I know that p+s digi cams are not highly regarded here but would
appreciate some advice.

This is for my wife who does not have a cam.
We are going on hols shortly and she would like a cam.

Looking for:
Something that will fit into her pocket/handbag/purse.
Minimum 10mp.
Easy to use.
Decent lens.
Good mechanical zoom.
Good battery life.

We are both quite aged, simplicity of use is essential.

With point and shoot cameras, it's important to let the camera find its
focus; so it's worth emcouraging your wife to practice before you set off.
She should aim to getting used to half-pressing the shutter and listening
for the camera's motor as it focuses. Then increasing the pressure so the
camera will take a pin sharp photo.

Practice taking photos using the flash as well, including trying to take 2
or 3 in quick succession. Sometimes it takes quite a lot longer than you
expect to recharge the flash, but if you both know what to expect, you won't
feel the camera is letting you down.

I also second the idea to look for a camera with AA batteries, You can get a
set of Hybrid rechargeables and have one set in the camera and the other set
spare. Recharge them overnight (or in the car on the move) and you won't be
missing shots because the batteries are dead.

Old August 14th 10, 10:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete D

"OG" wrote in message

"Nick" wrote in message
[...]

Or just get the best camera for you needs and get onto ebay and buy a couple
of spares and take them with you, generally much lighter than NiMh batteries
and the cameras are more compact.

I have cameras with AAs and with proprietary batteries and one that will use
either and the lithium proprietary are so much better.

Cheers.

Pete