Any recommendations around Kansas City?

Old March 24th 10, 07:57 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Stuffed Crust[_2_]

Default Any recommendations around Kansas City?

I'm going to be in Kansas City for a three-day weekend. The friend I
was supposed to meet up with was dragged unexpectedly out of state at
the last minute, so I've lost my tour guide/troublemaker. It'll cost me
as much money to change my tickets as I paid for them, so I might as
well use 'em and have myself a little adventure....

Any recommendations for stuff to see/do or generally pretty/interesting
places to check out in the general area?

- Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet dot org
Melbourne, FL ^^ (mail/jabber/gtalk) ^^
Old March 24th 10, 10:22 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:54:46 -0700 (PDT), Annika1980
wrote:

On Mar 24, 3:57*pm, Stuffed Crust wrote:

Any recommendations for stuff to see/do or generally pretty/interesting
places to check out in the general area?

In Kansas City? Yeah, right!
Hope you like cows.
Might get a good steak, though.

Solomon lives in Melbourne, Florida, I think. Melbourne - like most
Central Florida cities - has all the character of one of those
seashell-encrusted ashtrays you see in Turnpike souvenir shops.

I don't know about Solomon's interests, but I'd love to go to Kansas
City with my camera. I'd look for decaying industrial sites, European
ethnic neighborhoods, older neighborhoods with some architectural
flavor in both houses and stores, anything left of the stockyards, old
farm houses and barns outside the city, and a downtown with some good
street photography opportunities. Stuff you don't see in Florida.

You may not think KC is interesting, but what is interesting to some
of us is what we don't have available to us where we live.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old March 25th 10, 01:18 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

: wrote:
:
[...]

If I'm not mistaken, Kansas City has one of the oldest and largest
African-American populations in the plains states, descendants of freed slaves
who migrated to Kansas after the Civil War. There may be some interesting
(i.e., photogenic) sites related to their ethnic history. Try to find a
visotors' center that may be able to point you in the right direction.

Also, Kansas City was once, and may still be, a railroad hub. If, like one of
my nephews, you're into RR photography, there may be some worthwhile subjects.
I believe the Union Pacific and the Kansas City Southern are two of the major
players. You could call them and see if they have visitors' centers of
recommended vantage points.

And get a AAA tour book or local guide book and see what they list that might
be of photographic interest.

Bob (who has only driven by KC and has no first-hand knowledge)
Old March 25th 10, 01:51 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Frank ess

wrote:

[...]

How long shall I wait to see if anyone will mention that they have
some pretty little women there ... ?

--
Frank ess

Old March 25th 10, 02:21 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tim Conway[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

"and I'm a gonna get me one..."

Old March 25th 10, 06:09 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
John McWilliams

Tim Conway wrote:

wrote:

[...]

And I might take the train. Probably the UP from Emeryville.

--
john mcwilliams
Old March 27th 10, 07:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 18:51:16 -0700, "Frank ess" wrote:
:
:
: wrote:
:
[...]

Or that they've gone and built a skyscraper seven stories high.

Bob