Faking and expensive tilt-shift lens

Old February 2nd 09, 07:59 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Focus[_3_]

Default Faking and expensive tilt-shift lens

http://atlantic-diesel.com/Miniferrari.jpg

Of course the picture was taken with a normal lens. With PS, without
filters, you can create this effect quite easily.
Here's one tutorial:

http://martybugs.net/blog/blog.cgi/p...tTutorial.html

If you Google Fake shift tilt, you can find some very funny, interesting
pictures. Specially those taken from above look like it's some miniature
street or scene.

--
Focus

Old February 2nd 09, 08:29 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Focus wrote:
http://atlantic-diesel.com/Miniferrari.jpg

Of course the picture was taken with a normal lens. With PS, without
filters, you can create this effect quite easily.
Here's one tutorial:

http://martybugs.net/blog/blog.cgi/p...tTutorial.html

If you Google Fake shift tilt, you can find some very funny, interesting
pictures. Specially those taken from above look like it's some miniature
street or scene.

Try faking something like this with overlap:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...21082/sizes/o/

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old February 2nd 09, 08:43 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John A.[_2_]

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 19:59:33 -0000, "Focus" wrote:

http://atlantic-diesel.com/Miniferrari.jpg

Of course the picture was taken with a normal lens. With PS, without
filters, you can create this effect quite easily.
Here's one tutorial:

http://martybugs.net/blog/blog.cgi/p...tTutorial.html

If you Google Fake shift tilt, you can find some very funny, interesting
pictures. Specially those taken from above look like it's some miniature
street or scene.

Neat. I did something similar to this image:
http://www.redbubble.com/people/john...-veteran-vespa

In this case the gradient mask was on the whole street surface, and
the scooter was meticulously traced so it would be sharp. And this was
before finding any such tutorial - heck, I didn't know what a
"tilt-shift" lens was then, though I've since learned and would like
to get one some day. I was only trying to amplify the DOF to emphasize
the scooter without the effect being too obvious.

I encountered one problem: With such sharp masking the blur would pull
color from the bike into the background, making a halo. I had to make
a cloned layer to blur, cloning the adjacent background colors into
the bike a bit to get a more realistic blur. Then I masked the
unaltered bike back in.
Old February 2nd 09, 08:54 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Focus[_3_]

"John A." wrote in message
[...]

Very nicely done. But you lost me somehow with the technical part.
With the Ferrari I had now problem with the colors bleeding in the
background.

BTW: I see these scooters every day here in Portugal. Same condition too,
mostly with older man riding them.

--
Focus

Old February 2nd 09, 09:16 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John A.[_2_]

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 20:54:44 -0000, "Focus" wrote:

"John A." wrote in message
.. .
[...]

If you're doing it according to the tutorial it looks like it includes
a bit of feathering around the masking that probably serves to
deemphasize that effect. I wanted the scooter good and sharp. Likewise
with this later example:
http://www.redbubble.com/people/john...woodsman-rests

For that one the foreground object was simpler, but extending the
hidden portions of all those branches and grave markers was a bit of a
job.

BTW: I see these scooters every day here in Portugal. Same condition too,
mostly with older man riding them.

Mine I spotted parked across the street while we were out for a walk.
I ran over for the shot. Fortunately, for me and the shot, traffic was
light.
Old February 3rd 09, 05:21 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

On 2009-02-02 11:59:33 -0800, "Focus" said:

http://atlantic-diesel.com/Miniferrari.jpg

Of course the picture was taken with a normal lens. With PS, without
filters, you can create this effect quite easily.
Here's one tutorial:

http://martybugs.net/blog/blog.cgi/p...tTutorial.html

If you Google Fake shift tilt, you can find some very funny, interesting
pictures. Specially those taken from above look like it's some miniature
street or scene.

This is fine if you want to reduce depth of field. However, a
tilt/shift lens is often used to increase depth of field. You cannot do
that in Photoshop with a single image.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old February 3rd 09, 05:24 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Sir John Howard

On 2009-02-02 11:59:33 -0800, "Focus" said:

http://atlantic-diesel.com/Miniferrari.jpg

Of course the picture was taken with a normal lens. With PS, without
filters, you can create this effect quite easily.
Here's one tutorial:

http://martybugs.net/blog/blog.cgi/p...tTutorial.html

If you Google Fake shift tilt, you can find some very funny, interesting
pictures. Specially those taken from above look like it's some miniature
street or scene.

This is fine if you want to reduce depth of field. However, a tilt/shift
lens is often used to increase depth of field. You cannot do that in
Photoshop with a single image.

A tilt/shift lens is primary used to correct perspective. A lens aperture
controls depth of field.

--
"The Labour Party is corrupt beyond redemption!"
- Labour hasbeen Mark Latham in a moment of honest clarity.

"Silly old bugger!"
- Well known ACTU ****pot and sometime Labour prime minister Bob Hawke
responding to a pensioner who dared ask for more.

"God save the Queen because nothing will save the governor general!"
- Egotistical ****head and pompous ****wit E.G. Whitlam whining about his
appointee John Kerr.
Old February 3rd 09, 06:15 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Corey G.

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 20:54:44 -0000, "Focus" wrote:

"John A." wrote in message
.. .
[...]

This is when you are better off using a plugin. I use "Depth Of Field
Generator PRO". I used to muck about with all that silly edge editing to
prevent the color/tone-bleed. This program does it for you, better than you
can do by hand.

Old February 3rd 09, 07:38 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mr.T

"Sir John Howard" wrote in message
This is fine if you want to reduce depth of field. However, a tilt/shift
lens is often used to increase depth of field. You cannot do that in
Photoshop with a single image.

A tilt/shift lens is primary used to correct perspective. A lens aperture
controls depth of field.

Partly true, a simple tilt-shift lens is not a complete substitute for a
full view camera with tilting film back and lensboard which DO allow the
depth of field to be non parallel to the film/image plane.
And you cannot do that with lens aperture alone.

MrT.

Old February 3rd 09, 08:35 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ray Fischer

Mr.T MrT@home wrote:
"Sir John Howard" wrote in message

This is fine if you want to reduce depth of field. However, a tilt/shift
lens is often used to increase depth of field. You cannot do that in
Photoshop with a single image.

A tilt/shift lens is primary used to correct perspective. A lens aperture
controls depth of field.

Partly true, a simple tilt-shift lens is not a complete substitute for a
full view camera with tilting film back and lensboard which DO allow the
depth of field to be non parallel to the film/image plane.
And you cannot do that with lens aperture alone.

I've taken photos that had subjects from six inches to infinity, and
even at f22 it's hard to get everything to be sharp. Of course, TS
lenses tend to be too expensive for the occasional need.

--
Ray Fischer